Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicle price limitation
In addition, the Chairman’s modification requires that a new qualified plug-in electric
drive motor vehicle purchased by the taxpayer has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price
(MSRP) of $80,000 or less. That is, the credit amount is reduced to $0 if the MSRP for the
vehicle is more than $80,000.
Is it really that hard to make the credit continually decrease and avoid all of the shenanigans with a giant price cliff? How about "The credit is equal to $7500 minus 15% of the price which is in excess of $50,000."

$50,000 -> $7500 credit
$60,000 -> $6000 credit
$90,000 -> $1500 credit
$100,000 -> $0 credit

Is it really that hard to make the credit continually decrease and avoid all of the shenanigans with a giant price cliff? How about "The credit is equal to $7500 minus 15% of the price which is in excess of $50,000."

$50,000 -> $7500 credit
$60,000 -> $6000 credit
$90,000 -> $1500 credit
$100,000 -> $0 credit
Agreed. And if you want to increase the credit, how about for something that is a true benefit to the customer but that also increases the cost to manufacture significantly, so increased functionality and retail price but not increased luxury. Maybe something like range?

300+ miles range: +$2,500 credit
500+ miles range: ++$2,500 credit

Maybe at delivery Tesla should make customers wait 12 hrs in the lounge area.

If they don't leave in frustration that selects out customers that will be angry,ready to sue, leave horrible reviews on utube with Tesla customer service and communications.

Additionally, when signing paperwork Tesla salespeople should b!tch$lap customers to further weed out high maintenance customers.

Just keep rich masochistic customers.
That describes a "car dealer" experience pretty well.
Just replace the slap part with pressure for extended warranty and nitrogen in the tires and it is spot on.

Nice premarket pop just now (to keep thread on target)

Reactions: jerry33

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

Data last updated May 27, 2021 08:03 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$619 -0.13 (-0.02%)
Pre-Market Volume145,142
Pre-Market High$623.75 (08:01:30 AM)
Pre-Market Low$613.41 (04:47:51 AM)

TSLA.2021-05-27.08-00.png

Looks like the 'momo' is racing the 'fomo' this morno... :p

Cheers!

I believe this supports @The Accountant ’s theory about the 5k MIC vehicles that had been produced and were awaiting export in China at the end of April.

Lol, not only that, but the April MiC prod. numbers also suggest a Model Y prod.pause of no more than 0.5 days (not the foolish 2weaks no. that was tossed against the wall to help justify the false narrative of loApr salez).

E2XbhwyVkAAhhUN

Again, the lie makes it half way 'round the world before the truth can get its boots on. Why is April prod data coming out on Apr 27? Why did April sellz WAG coming out on Apr 1st? Jus' sayin'.

Motivated 'reporting'.

Cheers!

Lol, not only that, but the April MiC prod. numbers also suggest a Model Y prod.pause of no more than 0.5 days (not the foolish 2weaks no. that was tossed against the wall to help justify the false narrative of loApr salez).

Again, lie makes it half way 'round the world before the true can get its boots on. Why is April prod data coming out on Apr 27? Why is April sellz WAG coming out on Apr 1st?

Motivated 'reporting'.

Lol!
I rather Tesla shut it down for 2 weeks and produced 8.3k than 0.5 days. The 2 week shut down is actually very bullish if true and they still managed 8.3k for the month.

The Oz 'Big Battery' saves the day one more time:

"As noted in a Renew Economy report, the Tesla Powerpack farm responded instantaneously as the frequency in the grid plunged to a low of 49.6Hz, before jumping to 50.1Hz as load was lost. The battery accomplished this in but two seconds. But even more impressively, the two inverters of the Hornsdale Power Reserve that had been enabled with “synthetic inertia” features responded even more quickly, reaching peak output in about one-third of a second before the rest of the battery. "​

"Synthetic Inertial" FTW. :D

Cheers!

E2XbhwyVkAAhhUN

Again, the lie makes it half way 'round the world before the truth can get its boots on. Why is April prod data coming out on Apr 27? Why did April sellz WAG coming out on Apr 1st? Jus' sayin'.

Motivated 'reporting'.

Cheers!
Have to remember the Y production rate is ramping up quickly. So without closing for any time we should have seen considerably more Y's produced in April then we did in March.

Las Vegas loop goes live in just a few days (June 1st):

"Elon Musk's Boring Company has completed the underground transportation system, dubbed the Vegas Loop, at the Las Vegas Convention Center, and it's an absolute blast. A fleet of Teslas zips passengers through the tunnels at up to 40 miles per hour across the length of the convention center. The tunnels are .8 miles long"​

Steady free marketing for Tesla. :D

Cheers!

Tesla really needs to get on with this. The idea that there are so few color options is mad on cars at this price level, or frankly any car. We can literally land rockets on autonomous drones but not support any conceivable color of car? Real car-lovers forget that there are people out there who will buy a nissan leaf because they prefer their red to teslas red. Some people can only describe their car by the color. I know people who if pressed, don't even know the make of their car, but will say 'its a nice silver one'.
It seems like its an easy win in terms of making them more attractive to a wider, less geeky audience, especially as the sale price comes down to attract the more casual EV buyer.
I know you and I might want it, but as long as they are production constrained, whatever they can do to optimize factory throughput the better. And the paint batching had been an issue.

Right now it clearly makes sense to devote resources to battery supply rather than paint color selection... the former will generate more sales, the latter, probably not.

Agreed. And if you want to increase the credit, how about for something that is a true benefit to the customer but that also increases the cost to manufacture significantly, so increased functionality and retail price but not increased luxury. Maybe something like range?

300+ miles range: +$2,500 credit
500+ miles range: ++$2,500 credit
Only if all range is electric. No ICE "range extender" or other funny stuff.

Las Vegas loop goes live in just a few days (June 1st):

"Elon Musk's Boring Company has completed the underground transportation system, dubbed the Vegas Loop, at the Las Vegas Convention Center, and it's an absolute blast. A fleet of Teslas zips passengers through the tunnels at up to 40 miles per hour across the length of the convention center. The tunnels are .8 miles long"​

Steady free marketing for Tesla. :D

Cheers!
Wow. 40 MPH! Hold on to your hat.

But how do they make such tight turns with that long boring machine?

Last edited:
Tesla just has to create a MSRP. S Plaid for 80....battery extra of course

Leaving out the battery has 2 problems-

1) You'd lose the assembly credit because under the final assembly definition it's not leaving the factory as a finished car

2) The battery pack, going forward, is gonna be structural.

That said- the cap makes an FSD subscription more interesting to say base S buyers because the car is just barely under this cap at MSRP without adding FSD as part of the purchase....

Wow. 40 MPH!

It's a pretty short trip even at that low speed- the bottleneck right now seems to be loading/unloading/car space at the smaller underground station.

Though if they expand to the rest of vegas they'll also want to get the speed up significantly

I guess you didn't read the actual story?

Ford credit is consistently profitable (as most banks are)- contributing a couple billion dollars of EBIT annually. It carries debt because of the way auto financing works, but is hardly a "boat anchor"

There's a lot to criticize at Ford, especially regarding how slow they've been not just to make EVs, but to realize hey maybe a battery supply matters...

But they've been pretty solid on their financials, being along with Tesla the only US auto company NOT to go bankrupt during that financial crisis you mention.
I did read the article i just disagree with it ... I stick with my original point banks/ credit agencies are one of the worst types of stock investment ... they can be wiped out in black swan event and don't have the upside potential of growth companies ... see GE Capital, GMAC , etc... when folks lose their jobs and don't want their expensive cars anymore ... guess who is left holding the bag.. any way as other have pointed out Ford still has not been bailed out by US Govt so they do have that in thier back pocket ;)... if Tesla starts to become a bank/credit agency of any scale i will have to re-evaluate my investment ... innovation will suffer