Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, and our Model 3 will go over 500 miles under the same conditions. This is actually true. But you don't see Tesla encouraging their brand ambassadors to spread that 500+ mile number around (I actually saw a track test on Youtube after the Model 3 was first released where the Model 3 went 598 miles at a steady 37 or 38 mph with no climate control under mild weather conditions). That's from memory and I'm unable to find the video now so if anyone knows where it is, I would like to refresh my memory but as I recall it was not affiliated with Tesla in any way.

There is this one, but it isn't on a track:

This one is on a track at 622 miles (unmanned):

Then as I asked the cat- why hasn't he done it for the last 9 years Tesla has had the issue in Texas (and numerous other states?)
Because Tesla has never manufactured cars in a state they were not allowed to sell in. Texas will be the first.

Duh!
That would potentially reduce how long the vehicle has to sit out of state but doesn't really solve the core double-ship problem.

For cybertruck especially, this would still require every CT in Texas to double ship if sold to a Texan. (same for Austin Ys, though they could just keep delivering Freemont Ys to Texas instead)
Ummm, I'm not sure how you missed this but I was responding directly to your claim that Tesla couldn't ship them out of state and immediately turn around and deliver them. That they would have to park them for a period of time while they sold them.

And the other issue is how does payment work?

The price of the vehicle is setup as a refundable security deposit for looking for a car out of state matching the desired specs. Once the payment is accepted, Tesla will see if they can match an appropriate car. When they find one the fee is refunded and immediately applied to the car purchase. Lawyers are amazing at dealing with this type of government red-tape. Tax lawyers do this kind of trickery all the time. You just have to be wealthy enough and hate taxes enough to employ it. In order to stop this kind of special purpose contract Texas would either have to sue Tesla (which would look ridiculous) or change the law to prevent specifically this kind of thing (which would look even more ridiculous).

As I said, it's unlikely to come to this.

1622212829853.png

Not sure if this was posted yet (from a few days ago)… 🤓🍿

The price of the vehicle is setup as a refundable security deposit for looking for a car out of state matching the desired specs. Once the payment is accepted, Tesla will see if they can match an appropriate car.

Except as already pointed out a lot of banks won't give you car loan money when there's no car or VIN or delivery date. (and you'd potentially be making payments for months on a vehicle you don't even have if they did so given sometimes deliveries end up months out today and likely even moreso for a high demand/initially low production thing like the cybertruck)

So this could work if paying cash, as long as you don't mind Tesla holding 60 or 70 grand for potentially weeks or months.

But would still not be a solution for many of those financing.

I suppose we can tie this into a previous discussion though.... great time for Tesla to start its own finance offering to solve this! They have plenty of spare cash to support such a thing.... you offer competitive vehicle loans to owners in Texas, and include in the terms that the funds can be made available in full for non-binding vehicle search fees or whatever they could be converted to actual purchase funds after a vehicle match.

Tesla still has to double-ship cybertrucks of course so it doesn't solve the core issue, but makes the back and forth logistics marginally less painful while getting another line of business up and running in financing!

Would Elon really have left this to chance when he picked Austin? Surely it was part of a deal with the State? What's Tesla's mitigation - we refuse to sell Cybertrucks to Texans until you fix your law! Nope, not gonna happen.
Giving the logistics and the legal side some thought, at this time the cars are being sold and delivered to Texans from the factory via an entity with an address outside of Texas.

It seems to me that Fremont will be the location the transaction takes place. Then a third party contractor will deliver the vehicles from "the factory" to the customer. Only, now, the factory is in Texas, along with the Texas customer, so Tesla sends their third party transporter to the factory to pick up and deliver the vehicles to customers.

The actual vehicle produced in Texas doesn't necessarily have to leave the state and come back in, does it? It may be that only the transaction and management of delivery is what must happen "out of state" from a legal point of view. If so, the process might be a lot like ordering Amazon Prime packages, the customer pays a set price for the item plus delivery.

Last edited:

Tesla is moving fast. Could have waited for testing, but hey....

What I think is funny is that NHTSA has to re-test cars with new hardware but they seem totally unconcerned with cars with new software.

To be clear, I'm not saying they should re-test every software update, I'm saying if they trust the manufacturer to update the software for better performance, they should also trust them to update the hardware in a similar fashion.

Then as I asked the cat- why hasn't he done it for the last 9 years Tesla has had the issue in Texas (and numerous other states?)

There's still -10- US states Tesla can't legally directly sell cars in Texas is just one of em. Hell, in 3 of those states they can't even have service centers.

Tesla has spent millions already on this issue on lawyers, lobbyists, and the added cost of delivering cars there and the other states with same/similar issues to no effect thusfar in Texas at least.

Obviously it's not a gamestopping problem since Tesla has continued (at their own cost) to work around it those 9 years- but the notion it's some quick/easy/free or cheap solution is simply not supported by the facts.

That would potentially reduce how long the vehicle has to sit out of state but doesn't really solve the core double-ship problem.

For cybertruck especially, this would still require every CT in Texas to double ship if sold to a Texan. (same for Austin Ys, though they could just keep delivering Freemont Ys to Texas instead)

And the other issue is how does payment work?

Prepaying in cash without a VIN would work of course, but most folks don't (and wouldn't want) to do that.

Otherwise it'd come down to either pre-authorizing an ACH that can randomly happen at any time in coming days/weeks/months while your cash sits there- awkward but I suppose possible.

Or if financing the vehicle then that's potentially trickier, as at least some banks will require a VIN to cut a check (some others won't, YMMV) so you'd need to take at least a little time (during business hours) to handle payment, rather than just turning the truck around.

Again none of this is show-stopping, but it's also not fixing the basic double-ship issue either for Austin built vehicles.
The cat says, ‘Dude, it’s a different Tesla now.’ Back then Tesla had to fight for the ability to sell their cars direct for the business to survive. It was money well spent that turned into sales and ultimately contributed to Tesla’s success

Then as Tesla grew there came a point in time where that money was better spent somewhere else, nay, needed to be spent somewhere else.

This is not a static world and certainly Tesla exemplifies the very essence of EFFICIENT FLUIDITY. (I’m trademarking that btw)

Elon will give Texas every chance to do the right thing and then if they don’t, he’ll crush whomever dares stand in the mission’s path. Just like he did in California when they tried to prevent Fremont from reopening during COVID.

As I said in my previous post to you; you’re too literal. While there’s a certain strength of character in being so exacting, at a certain point it becomes a hinderance and too focused.

34 Days until Quarter End.......Fasten Your Seat Belts!

Here is what Q2 looks like with and without Reg Credits. Unless there are some unusual one time charges beyond CEO Award and Bitcoin, we should see epic results. I estimate GAAP profits of $803m ($403m excluding credits).

View attachment 667189

View attachment 667190
Just wanted you to know that adding pictures, changes of font and exclamation points to your posts ups the digestibility. Who knew accounting could be so titillating?!

Giving the logistics and the legal side some thought, at this time the cars are being sold and delivered to Texans from the factory via an entity with an address outside of Texas.

It seems to me that Fremont will be the location the transaction takes place. Then a third party contractor will deliver the vehicles from "the factory" to the customer. Only, now, the factory is in Texas, along with the Texas customer, so Tesla sends their third party transporter to the factory to pick up and deliver the vehicles to customers.

The actual vehicle produced in Texas doesn't necessarily have to leave the state and come back in, does it? It may be that only the transaction and management of delivery is what must happen "out of state" from a legal point of view. If so, the process might be a lot like ordering Amazon Prime packages, the customer pays a set price for the item plus delivery.
Maybe they will ship the paperwork for the VIN, out of state, and once paid for, will grant delivery locally in Texas. And updating that paradigm since the pony express, the email and its associated electrons or blockchain ledger will be from out of state. The car will never leave Texas, it just won't have any registration or VIN declared till those electrons return from out of state...

• Funny
Reactions: capster and wipster
The actual vehicle produced in Texas doesn't necessarily have to leave the state and come back in, does it?

Yes, it literally does.

it's illegal for Tesla to sell a vehicle while that vehicle is physically located in Texas.

(or any of 9 other states with similar laws)

Maybe they will ship the paperwork for the VIN, out of state, and once paid for, will grant delivery locally in Texas. And updating that paradigm since the pony express, the email and its associated electrons or blockchain ledger will be from out of state. The car will never leave Texas, it just won't have any registration or VIN declared till those electrons return from out of state...

Nope, see above.