Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not for shooters, but for strategy-games/mmogs/singleplayer this is reasonable.

You can try the performance/latency right now with things like steam-play (stream to any device .. i.e. your PS5, TV or Phone) & play with a steam-controller.

Nice idea!

And you can visit friends with your game-rig easily :D
About the new AMD chips possible dual-purpose: Could they run distributed Dojo?

I wouldn't draw any hard and fast conclusions yet, we will know more very shortly.

It could be that Tesla's projected ramp speed for 4680's is such that they have enough for Model S Plaid now, but don't want the rush of orders for the Model S Plaid + to upset the ramp of the Cybertruck/Semi next year. In this case I would suspect Plaid + to be introduced early 2023 as 4680 production ramps high enough to supply all four models (counting Plaid and Plaid plus as separate models). Remember, the Cybertruck and Semi will require a lot of batteries.

as I recall, Plaid was going to be tri-motor and less range than standard with existing cells.
plaid+ was to be trimotor with massive range (500+) and faster than plaid… how? 4680.

Reactions: TespaceX
Apparently not the range.
Not sure why you’re so certain about that. There’s obviously going to be some updates on Thursday that we don’t know about yet and the people that do know that have proven sources at Tesla has said to expect a couple surprises and made pretty clear insinuation that the specs could be updated. Will they update the plaid range to that of the plaid +? Who knows, but it’s pretty clear there’s going to be some updates

When Electrek asked Musk to clarify the statement, the CEO told us that Tesla is not seeing a need for a range of more than 400 miles anymore:

“What we are seeing is that once you have a range above 400 miles, more range doesn’t really matter. There are essentially zero trips above 400 miles where the driver doesn’t need to stop for restroom, food, coffee, etc. anyway.”[/URL]
But only if it's a real 400 miles at highway speeds (e.g. 85 mph). EPA 400 miles means around 300 miles at highway speeds.

Now they may have put in less 4680 cells into the Plaid so the range is rumored to be between plaid and plaid+. Elon deemed this good enough and canceled Plaid and thinks people probably don't need anymore range from a 4 door sedan.

Or maybe we were always wrong speculating that Plaid+ was going to be on 4680s as Bill said refresh S was going to be on 18650. So Plaid+ may have just been like a 150kwh version or something using old format cell. Just because they showed it during battery day doesn't mean it was using those batteries. It may have just been a showcase of the powertrain. So Plaid maybe like the 100kwh version with say 430 miles of range and the 0-60 is pretty much irrelevant vs plaid+ (if refresh S is 90kwh speculated due to weight reduction).

Remember Roadster 2.0 had over 600 miles of range not on 4680s.

Reactions: FireMedic
Just to point out......the quote about anything above 400 miles that Elon said is from Fred....who does absolutely nothing to show proof. In fact Fred does nothing to show proof Elon even responded to him at all. Do you trust Fred to report on something honestly? In fact do you think Elon would even take a moment out of his time to respond to Fred???
Agreed. Elon dislikes Fred & Elektrek. I think it's highly unlikely that he said anything to Fred or Elektrek.

4680 is just a size. They could be making them with the old wet technique instead of the new dry line. However, given that they had a production line basically working last year for Battery Day, I'm betting that the new Model S has the new 4680 from the dry production line. If it wasn't going well, they wouldn't be able to start Texas and Berlin with 4680 vehicles.

IMO they hit all their plaid+ targets with the plaid. Elon has said multiple times they would never showcase a car they wouldn’t produce. As for the 4680, did he promise that would be in the plaid+? If so then I think it will be in the plaid.

Promised ...? eh, nah, not quite. But he did everything other than promise. He certainly allowed everyone to believe it, made no effort to refute the assumption, and he participated in countless discussions where there was the implication that Plaid+ used 4680 packs. Plus there is this exchange:

Untitled.png

As a Plaid+ Battery Day order, I feel intentionally misled. Even the phone call i received last week seems to have been disingenuous, since there was no mention of any plan to cancel the Plaid+ all together, merely that it wouldn't be ready until 2022 (which, to be honest, i fully expected back when i ordered and they were saying "late 2021"). Outright cancellation had to have already been one option that was already on the table at the time, but Tesla has refused to be even the slightest bit transparent about the details of this vehicle's battery or timeline or many other details.

i'm not pissed, because hey, my P100D is still the best car i've ever owned by such a wide margin, i don't mind keeping it longer, but this Plaid+ fiasco is kind of annoying.

And hey, perhaps he is toying with everyone and the big shocker Thursday will be that all Model S Plaid does have the 4680 packs. This is certainly the optimistic take and the one Tesla bulls (including me) would most like to believe, but I know full well that in a vacuum of concrete information, people tend to construct the most optimistic possible narrative, so i'm *always* suspicious of the "sandbag" narrative (which has turned out to be a valid suspicion 99 times out of 100 with Tesla). Furthermore, i don't think the sum of known evidence really points in that direction.

I could still be wrong. I'd love to be wrong. I hope Tesla decides to level with its customers about what's inside this car.

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident Plaid is going to see a range surprise announcement, especially after seeing the cat Monroney sticker. I'm about 50-50 as to whether it has the 4680. A Tesla tech working on my car a couple of weeks ago said he thought the Plaid might come with 4860 I asked don't you mean Plaid+ and he said no Plaid. He wasn't sure but I had the impression he had heard something.

as I recall, Plaid was going to be tri-motor and less range than standard with existing cells.
plaid+ was to be trimotor with massive range (500+) and faster than plaid… how? 4680.

That was our understanding. My point is, we don't know until we know. The biggest benefit of 4680 is lower production cost. So it would make sense to not have two cars with the same Model designation coming out of Fremont with different battery stock. Fremont is already space constrained. Tesla's biggest strength in the automotive business is their nimbleness and that means things they transmitted to the public just might change before they become reality.

Off-Topic...Sort of

Drove by a gas station today in Temecula California; gasoline was $4.29 a gallon.

My apologies, just laughing out loud!
$4.69 here in the Bay Area today. And a bunch of us here whining about which battery cell we might be getting in our amazing cars that wouldn’t even exist if it wasn’t for TSLA. We’d all still be driving around gas guzzling German cars.

Didn't Elon last conference call said volume production of 4680s is a year out?

Based on the number of Plaid being pumped out, it's highly unlikely Plaid has 4680s.
I don’t remember Elon specifically saying that, but I do remember Elon sandbagging while the head of their battery production contradicting Elon by saying the Kato line is going well and yield was good. It was definitely a confusing earnings call

Also, you’re talking about a company that will be at a million production run rate by Q3....I’d say making enough 4680 cells for 1,000-2,000 a week Model S’s isn’t volume production