Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cramer calling out that Tesla is back in growth mode as part of support for his theme of “breakout”. Sees they have a window while competition has yet to fully gear up.
That dude changes positions on stocks like i do underwear.....lost respect for him when he slammed Cathie W esrliermthisnyesr when growth stocks sold off....Always seems to pitch what he’s getting sponsored on...👀👀👀

I'd wait for more info from max-pain.com at 7 am tomorrow (unless you have another source). BTW, there were over 200K Call contracts traded at the $700 stike today. How many are still open, we won't know until tomorrow at 7:00
So we can expect a close at 699 tomorrow, and 700s next week? 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Today, over 1.07 million Option contracts expiring tomorrow traded just in the Strike range 650 - 700 (745K Call contracts + 332K Put contracts). Together, they control over 100 Million shares (over 10% of the total equity in TSLA).

Here is the data: (highlights show locations for some potential Call or Put "walls" - the SP that MMs tend to defend, or traders attempt to achieve)

TSLA.2021-06-24.16-30.png

N.B. the OI or "Open Interest" data is from end-of-day on Wed, and specifically NOT for today's trading. The next OI update from this data source is Fri at around 7 a.m. ET (updates once/day).

Of particular interest will be the Put OI levels. I compare them to the Call OI by simple subtraction. This gives a sum which should be informative of the MMs interest in moving the SP through that increment, when ever the SP is at an adjacent strike price level.

A "Put wall" can be very helpful. But we won't know if any formed today until 7 a.m. tomorrow.

"C-P" is a technique which doesn't always work, but does add some simple empirical analysis to the cacophony mix of emotions and strategy that is Options trading. GLTA.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mostly you learn options by losing money. Repeatedly.
So far this year I have made over $1.5m selling options (including my trades where I closed them out for a loss and rolled them because the stock moved against me too much). It has taken me 6 years to get to the point where I believe I won't lose money selling them anymore (the first few years were rough). The biggest power you have as an investor is selling covered calls against your shares ($1m of the 1.5 was CC, the rest selling margin secured Puts). I don't typically buy them because I just lose money. It is really easy to make money selling Puts if you have enough cash. My mother's IRA has over $2m in cash, and I have been making her around $20k/month to live off of selling very safe, way OTM monthly Puts secured by her cash. I have 40 530 strike Puts that I have sold for her expiring at different times over the next 30 days. As those get close to expiration, I either let them expire worthless, or I roll them another month out, maybe change the strike a little, and make her more spending money. At her age, I don't want to buy TSLA stock with her funds just in case.

Does anyone know if there is precedent for what Elon is proposing?

Airbnb IPO offered hosts shares. Earliest hosts were offered the most if I recall correctly. I think the most you (or we) could buy was like $12K, maybe $17K. I could not come up with a back of napkin valuation so did not partake. I think the shares have tripled from the IPO price. I bet I can model Starlink!

EV adaptation should be rushed. From all the reports I've read we are headed to over 1.5 degrees C. 122 F and rising in some areas of the US. The US government needs to look at the reality of continuing to fund fossil fuels and pass bills to remove ICE vehicles and promote BEVs powered by Solar.
Not sure if this is due to sea level rising but this Florida Condo just collapsed(water in the foundation region perhaps?)

Odd that no news reports on this increasing level of sea level rise. I guess they wish to avoid the elephant in the room

From the article

Sea level rise is speeding up​

The sea level around Virginia Key, Florida, has risen by 8 inches since 1950. Its speed of rise has accelerated over the last ten years and it’s now rising by 1 inch every 3 years.2 Scientists know this because sea levels are measured every 6 minutes using equipment like satellites, floating buoys off the coast, and tidal gauges to accurately measure the local sea level as it accelerates and changes.4

So far this year I have made over $1.5m selling options (including my trades where I closed them out for a loss and rolled them because the stock moved against me too much). It has taken me 6 years to get to the point where I believe I won't lose money selling them anymore (the first few years were rough). The biggest power you have as an investor is selling covered calls against your shares ($1m of the 1.5 was CC, the rest selling margin secured Puts). I don't typically buy them because I just lose money. It is really easy to make money selling Puts if you have enough cash. My mother's IRA has over $2m in cash, and I have been making her around $20k/month to live off of selling very safe, way OTM monthly Puts secured by her cash. I have 40 530 strike Puts that I have sold for her expiring at different times over the next 30 days. As those get close to expiration, I either let them expire worthless, or I roll them another month out, maybe change the strike a little, and make her more spending money. At her age, I don't want to buy TSLA stock with her funds just in case.

What is your Broker's fee per Contract? With my Broker's $20 per contract fee, the above strategy would be quite costly (especially while learning Options trading). Eg: those 40 Puts alone would represent around 800/mth in fees, but it sounds like that's not the majority of your activity.

How do you manage the fees? What's your "win/loss" ratio? What does it need to be to break even? TIA

Cheers!

Last edited:
Pain is the best teacher, but no body wants to go to his class... ;)

Cheers!

It is the best class I ever went to. One has to open themselves up honestly, stare hard into the mirror, lean into the depression. My failures have been great teachers in the market. I did the math once, owned like 30M worth of NFLX, perhaps similar in AAPL, not all the long ago. But I sold them with short term visceral fear. I made easy bull market money then kept trading the same as the market hit the crapper, gave all my gains up and also took cash/margin account to ZERO. I stopped trading for months. Came to realize I should focus on great growth story companies, with great products, great leadership, business models I could understand. Ergo TSLA. Not sure I will ever get 30M, fully expect 20 before I die.