Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t post much as I’m newer and trying to learn the ropes on here. But, what about new investors that are willing to hold? I wasn’t able to afford my first Tesla until early 2020 and started to buy stock towards the end of the year once I was able to. I’ve been buying dips ever since. I’m nothing compared to big fish, but I’m trying and would honestly be upset to be left out of something I love. I have a preorder in for starlink and I have high speed DSL. Leaving out new investors like myself would paint a bad look I believe.
It is a couple of years away at the earliest, per Elon.
Just HODL and see what happens then.

Reactions: Blacklions
Thanks for the head up! Now, deciding what to fill it with.......
Your Tesla Shop Order Is Confirmed
I'd like to have one, but they won't sell me one. Or, a Cybertruck reservation, or anything.

For months. On several browsers, with a variety of cards. Even with the Card's customer service on the phone. Not a peep on their end from Tesla, but the Tesla site indicates "Card was declined" on each attempt. Even went into Account Settings and successfully put the card info in there, still no joy in the SHOP checkout.

And yes, I've now submitted a Contact request for help from Tesla to get to the bottom of this. Likely to miss out, again.

Thanks for the shoulder to 😢 on. Y'all are the only one's I could share this with who would understand. :)

TAKE.MY.MONEY.PLEASE

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and Paul_SF
OT, but: If you wanted a Tesla decanter without the Tequila they are now on sale for $150: Tesla Decanter

View attachment 677407
I don’t drink alcohol, so I never ordered one on the initial offering. But I had serious FOMO when they sold out; so this was perfect for me!

Thanks Mike, glad I didn’t miss out again.

I'd like to have one, but they won't sell me one. Or, a Cybertruck reservation, or anything.

For months. On several browsers, with a variety of cards. Even with the Card's customer service on the phone. Not a peep on their end from Tesla, but the Tesla site indicates "Card was declined" on each attempt. Even went into Account Settings and successfully put the card info in there, still no joy in the SHOP checkout.

And yes, I've now submitted a Contact request for help from Tesla to get to the bottom of this. Likely to miss out, again.

Thanks for the shoulder to 😢 on. Y'all are the only one's I could share this with who would understand. :)

TAKE.MY.MONEY.PLEASE
I still have a problem ordering if I do it directly through the web site (endless hang after ordering). When I access the web site through the Tesla app, however, all is well.

Anent my last post regarding NorgesBank: as of their most recent reporting, which is December 31, that Leviathan they manage, the so-called Norwegian Government Pension Fund, held 0.80% of Tesla, valued at US$5.344 billion :

Also, I believe they also present that value as per that 12/31 closing price of $705.67 - pretty close to where we are today. We’ll see soon enough if they’ve added to that position…..yet.

Mostly you learn options by losing money. Repeatedly.
If you're a beginner, just buy TSLA call options that expire a couple years from now with strikes at about 1.5X current share price.
Not financial advice, but precluding a total collapse of the dollar or Tesla as a company, it's almost like free money.

Queue the people warning how dangerous options are in 3...2...1...

Edit: thanks @MP3Mike for posting the link to those bottles. I ordered a couple and will keep one of them sealed in its package forever like some kind of nerd.
The other I'll inevitably break some day while using it for its intended purpose 😁

Last edited:
Spoiler alert!

4E53CD2B-DCF9-4098-A319-A6D872830223.gif

I used a covered call strategy over late fall and winter and it was pretty painful locating the strike price and ended up rolling it up pretty soon before the collapse. Still -- I came out substantially ahead. A big advantage at the time was the high 70% IV on options owing to the dramatic 2020 volatility whereas it sits mid 50s now. I actually bought similar but offsetting calls to effectively close and lock in the gains without triggering taxes so I'm now just long equity.

This approach like any other still mostly relies on being accurate about predicting the market and this market is pretty stupid. I can put a price target on this company from 500 to 1500, and so if it runs up to 800+ again I will consider repeating the covered call strategy but I'm going to be pretty hesitant about it.

It's really hard to hold on to a position that curtails your upside when your long-term price target is the moon. It becomes difficult to figure out how exactly to respond with all solutions being effectively the equivalent of buying high. EV and FSD are such big innovations and so big in terms of revenue and significance that I am generally expecting that at some point this decade the whole market goes into 90s style telecom bubble mode with an ultimate result of oversupply and implausible theories (delivered by NYC Taxi drivers in ICE vehicles). I don't want to get caught trying to use rational price targets when the market goes irrational (nor hopefully will I fall for the irrational spirits).

I used a covered call strategy over late fall and winter and it was pretty painful locating the strike price and ended up rolling it up pretty soon before the collapse. Still -- I came out substantially ahead. A big advantage at the time was the high 70% IV on options owing to the dramatic 2020 volatility whereas it sits mid 50s now. I actually bought similar but offsetting calls to effectively close and lock in the gains without triggering taxes so I'm now just long equity.

This approach like any other still mostly relies on being accurate about predicting the market and this market is pretty stupid. I can put a price target on this company from 500 to 1500, and so if it runs up to 800+ again I will consider repeating the covered call strategy but I'm going to be pretty hesitant about it.

It's really hard to hold on to a position that curtails your upside when your long-term price target is the moon. It becomes difficult to figure out how exactly to respond with all solutions being effectively the equivalent of buying high. EV and FSD are such big innovations and so big in terms of revenue and significance that I am generally expecting that at some point this decade the whole market goes into 90s style telecom bubble mode with an ultimate result of oversupply and implausible theories (delivered by NYC Taxi drivers in ICE vehicles). I don't want to get caught trying to use rational price targets when the market goes irrational (nor hopefully will I fall for the irrational spirits).
I use HV and IV percentile when looking at buying leaps, and for them to be high with a high daily rsi to sell covered or poor mans covered calls on.

Don't expect to make the same amount every month.

I can expand upon that. Don't expect to make the same amount every year. You can make what you think is great money one year and lose it all, and then some, the next.

That cannot happen by investing in good companies and holding. Even if you pick the wrong company and it goes bankrupt.

I use HV and IV percentile when looking at buying leaps, and for them to be high with a high daily rsi to sell covered or poor mans covered calls on.

When that IV was tapping 80% there were some crazy opportunities at very deep strikes, in the sense of selling like a 2000 target strike for 100 bucks and so on. I love TSLA but 2000 wasn't that probable for ~Jan 2022. There is a very big difference between IV 80% and 55%. I'm pretty sure I won't bother with it at 55.

My gut says "BS"
TBH, I find these various pieces of data from China suspicious.

That said, I believe it's likely that it was this twitter handle's earlier statements on the China number that Rob Maurer from TeslaDaily in the last few weeks went through and found the accuracy overall to be reasonable. For that reason, I am not yet totally ignoring this tweet.