Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Missing an opportunity. New stuff is usually expensive, and it is the rich that can afford it, withheld poor following later once economies of scale and further developments in production reduce the cost (Wright’s law and all that). There is absolutely no reason in this case not to phase out expensive ICE cars quicker. We could do it today. We already know how to make good (but expensive) BEVs. OK, let’s give the manufacturers until 2026. In that year, no new ICE car above $100k may be sold. 2027, no new ICE car above $95k etc.
Or just accelerating zero energy credit requirements. Seems like that still allows people to get ICE, they just have to pay through the nose for it which makes them support EV indirectly, like a carbon credit with its superior economics but which is not politically palatable when directly consumer facing.

Rob Maurer made the point in his daily video yesterday that Tesla has sold about 100K Powerwalls in the past 4 qtrs, for an average rate of 25K/qtr. The CNBC headline (which cause the algo-pannik Aftr-hrs) says they had a chip supply limit of 30-40K/qtr, which would be a 20-60% increase over the past year. And we now know via Elon's Solarcity testimony that demand is > 80K per qtr, and at least 2 new suppliers are queing up with their 4680 offerings (Samsung SDI and LG). It's not a nothing burger - it's good news CNBC tried to spin as baad... (muppets)

Algo-bots r so gullibull... :p

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

Data last updated Jul 14, 2021 05:41 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$672.1 +3.56 (+0.53%)
Pre-Market Volume33,219
Pre-Market High$674.5 (05:26:06 AM)
Pre-Market Low$663 (04:07:04 AM)

Cheers!

Rob Maurer made the point in his daily video yesterday that Tesla has sold about 100K Powerwalls in the past 4 qtrs, for an average rate of 25K/qtr. The CNBC headline (which cause the algo-pannik Aftr-hrs) says they had a chip supply limit of 30-40K/qtr, which would be a 20-60% increase over the past year. And we now know via Elon's Solarcity testimony that demand is > 80K per qtr, and at least 2 new suppliers are queing up with their 4680 offerings (Samsung SDI and LG). It's not a nothing burger - it's good news CNBC tried to spin as baad... (muppets)

Algo-bots r so gullibull... :p

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

Data last updated Jul 14, 2021 05:41 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$672.1 +3.56 (+0.53%)
Pre-Market Volume33,219
Pre-Market High$674.5 (05:26:06 AM)
Pre-Market Low$663 (04:07:04 AM)

Cheers!

do we know why Tesla has yet to shift to Iron chemistry for power wall? I get that if it’s a chip issue that’s irrelevant for now but still.. there’s only one drawback to iron and that’s weight. If you have to cut the powerwall into two pieces and double the electronics as to not bring the wall down I suspect it is still a win.

one of the rumored difficulties (from Panasonic claims I believe) is the increased chance of malfunction in the 4680 cell but again iron is superior in that regard.

do we know why Tesla has yet to shift to Iron chemistry for power wall? I get that if it’s a chip issue that’s irrelevant for now but still.. there’s only one drawback to iron and that’s weight. If you have to cut the powerwall into two pieces and double the electronics as to not bring the wall down I suspect it is still a win.

one of the rumored difficulties (from Panasonic claims I believe) is the increased chance of malfunction in the 4680 cell but again iron is superior in that regard.
As I recall from battery day iron cheaper and energy density not a concern with stationary storage.

As I recall from battery day iron cheaper and energy density not a concern with stationary storage.

Other LFP advantages:
  • Bty life > 5x vs common Li-Ion chemistries
  • about 1/3rd the cost for the anode material
  • Faster charge/discharge rates for same capacity
  • can be charged to 100% SOC routinely
  • not damaged by extended storage at 100%
  • less vulnerable to high ambient heat or risk of fire
LFP is a slam dunk for stationary storage, and for most mobile applications except when the absolute highest performance is required (which depends upon energy density).

Which is irrelevant unless you're trying to go really fast or really far. Then Tesla nickle chemistries (via Dr. Jeff Dahn) are the best choice.

Otherwise, it's LFP FTW! :p

Cheers!

Other LFP advantages:
  • Bty life > 5x vs common Li-Ion chemistries
  • about 1/3rd the cost for the anode material
  • Faster charge/discharge rates for same capacity
  • can be charged to 100% SOC routinely
  • not damaged by extended storage at 100%
  • less vulnerable to high ambient heat or risk of fire
LFP is a slam dunk for stationary storage, and for most mobile applications except when the absolute highest performance is required (which depends upon energy density).

Which is irrelevant unless you're trying to go really fast or really far. Then Tesla nickle chemistries (via Dr. Jeff Dahn) are the best choice.

Otherwise, it's LFP FTW! :p

Cheers!

Exactly. Hence my question. I suppose it will get sorted out eventually.

There was mention that the state of Alaska had padded their holdings with an additional 100,000 shares (up from 2k shares) and done well.

AK increased stake in TSLA was reported on Jan. 19, 2021 so it must have become known through end-of-quarter filings for Q4 2020:

EU to ban sales of new ICE cars from 2035 - not official yet but from a credible source.
I think that's a massive mistake. It is too late for an ICE ban in Europe. 2035 is not going to make a difference. The conversion will have occurred before. Already today there are a million car related conspiracy theories that try to spin the obvious, clear and open failure of German car makers into a sinister game of politics "the EU is out to get German car makers, the EPA only fined VW on emission cheating as part of a war against German car makers, the Chinese only instate ICE regulations to kick-out the German car makers" etc. If the EU would ban ICE cars, the idiots feeing like victims (where quite frankly the German car industry had the best pre-conditions to be leading BEV making by far!) would be emboldened.

So personally I don't think an ICE ban by 2035 is going to make a difference and I would prefer if the EU does not institute an ICE ban.

AK increased stake in TSLA was reported on Jan. 19, 2021 so it must have become known through end-of-quarter filings for Q4 2020:

That is a great article. Interesting contrast might be the how Alaska is preparing or looking toward a world seeking a replacement for fossil fuels Vs how TX is preparing.

I think that's a massive mistake. It is too late for an ICE ban in Europe. 2035 is not going to make a difference. The conversion will have occurred before. Already today there are a million car related conspiracy theories that try to spin the obvious, clear and open failure of German car makers into a sinister game of politics "the EU is out to get German car makers, the EPA only fined VW on emission cheating as part of a war against German car makers, the Chinese only instate ICE regulations to kick-out the German car makers" etc. If the EU would ban ICE cars, the idiots feeing like victims (where quite frankly the German car industry had the best pre-conditions to be leading BEV making by far!) would be emboldened.

So personally I don't think an ICE ban by 2035 is going to make a difference and I would prefer if the EU does not institute an ICE ban.
The good thing about a ban is that people actually think a ban will happen. It doesn't matter how many times you point to the low running cost of an EV or the accelerating growth of Tesla, people are more likely to accept that they are going to get an EV soon if they know they simply will not be able to buy one due to the law.

'EU BANS ICE CARS' is easier as a headline than lots of charts and graphs showing why the ban wont be needed.

Thus, I think its a good thing, and its also a signal to legacy dinosaur-juice companies that they have no option but to transition. 90% will fail and go bankrupt anyway (who cares) but it might encourage the few survivors to transition faster?

Oh...anecdotal data point: I see a LOT of adverts for the mach-e on TV (broadcast TV) here in the UK. Its not targeted at me as an EV enthusiast either, its mainstream TV aimed at everyone.

They are likely paying a lot of cash to try and shift them. They have cliched footage of them driving past wind turbines to try and seem like they really get it. cringe.

Did you expect them to go quietly?

Oh...anecdotal data point: I see a LOT of adverts for the mach-e on TV (broadcast TV) here in the UK. Its not targeted at me as an EV enthusiast either, its mainstream TV aimed at everyone.

They are likely paying a lot of cash to try and shift them. They have cliched footage of them driving past wind turbines to try and seem like they really get it. cringe.
Yep Ford is moving faster than any other legacy and you know, 5 years ago I would not have guessed that. It's really quite impressive, the Ford family must have really gotten behind this change. Good for Ford!

Where are you getting the $174 Billion figure for EV incentives from?
49730775-96D7-4AD6-A0B0-B3C06FA0D4C5.png