Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect a similar philosophy around SC access. I consider it to be completely reasonable, but I'm not another car maker lawyer / legal team. I don't even play a lawyer on TV! No legal opinions from me@!

I suspect the issue is more one of pride and marketing than a legal issue. I mean really, if you are Ford, GM, Audi, or another major auto maker, do you really want your electric fleet charging on the most functional and useable network, a network that is basically a sleek advertisement for your stiffest competition?

Ford CEO: Oh, no, you're not going to see a Ford hooking up with those sexy red and white superchargers with the big oval hole in the middle, not on my watch you're not! Our customers are proud Ford owners, I'm not going to humiliate them by making them visit places like that! Seriously, have you even been to one? Those places are teeming with shiny new Model S,3,X and Y's and their sickening owners with big smiles plastered on their faces. Ford owners deserve better than that!

I suspect the issue is more one of pride and marketing than a legal issue. I mean really, if you are Ford, GM, Audi, or another major auto maker, do you really want your electric fleet charging on the most functional and useable network, a network that is basically a sleek advertisement for your stiffest competition?

Ford CEO: Oh, no, you're not going to see a Ford hooking up with those sexy red and white superchargers with the big oval hole in the middle, not on my watch you're not! Our customers are proud Ford owners, I'm not going to humiliate them by making them visit places like that! Seriously, have you even been to one? Those places are teeming with shiny new Model S,3,X and Y's and their sickening owners with big smiles plastered on their faces. Ford owners deserve better than that!
I also suspect this is the real reason :)

They could, but it takes Tesla an awfully long time to make an adapter. They still don't have a CCS adapter for North America, and I recall how long it took to make the CHAdeMO adapter.
I have the CHAdeMO adapter, it is no joke. I can’t imagine they sold many and only have it for one leg of my trip from Dallas to Tulsa. I can imagine an adapter to Tesla would get a lot more use/sales if they were able to replicate the “just plug it in” experience of supercharging. It would put EA out of business.

Maybe they tie a Tesla-sold adapter “VIN” to an account and recognize the adapter rather than the car?
Yes, was just thinking the same thing. Retrofitting SuCs with CCS connectors is an expense. Selling chipped Tesla/CCS adapters is a revenue source. QR code on the adapter allows creating visitor account and credit card link via Tesla Visitor app.

edit: lots of similar ideas above. Great minds.

Last edited:
Not one person talked about S&P 500 Q1 2019. The topics were all bankruptcy related. Smart money contacted Piper Sandler about the total value of Tesla's assets if they went under. Cathie Wood was laughed at with a PT that is 1/4th of today's SP prices.

Many hedge funds got CRUSHED and MM got crushed. No one anticipated a stock split would shake out all the naked short selling. Then they all got crushed again not anticipating that Tesla would make money despite of factory shutdown/pandemic.

I'm not talking about hedge funds that were shorting the stock or bears/shorts who got crushed......and I never said that in Q1 2019 it was crystal clear that S&P inclusion....but it certainly was by Q2 and Q3 2019 and that was before the stock went on it's 10X rally. Plenty of funds and deep pocketed investors were loading up in first half of 2019 in anticipation of what was coming. Most of the volume that happened in Q1 2019 was not actual selling. It was blatant shorting and naked shorting.

I'm not saying the majority of Wall St saw what was coming....or even half. In fact the majority of Wall St didn't see it coming. What I'm saying though is that there was plenty of money, "smart money", that was loading up and positioning themselves for a big run in the stock. It's these same group that I have a very hard time seeing not being aware of what's upcoming for Tesla and Tesla's growth/earnings in 2nd half 2021 and all of 2022. I have to imagine they're positioning themselves for it.....and my guess is mostly through Call Options.

1. I believe you need to have a Tesla Account and to see how charging is going you will need the Tesla App on your phone. We here will call it the Tesla Advertising Application.

Yes it will be a way for Tesla to advertise. But since most Norwegian EV owners including myself already have 7-ish apps from various charging networks it will be just another charger app for many users.

OK, then, F ‘em. Let them try to find an EA charger that works, especially after VW bails.

edit: check out this Mach-E /EA road trip experience

Last edited:

Also, it becomes a pure advertisement for Tesla that utilizes their biggest source of marketing... Tesla customers. Certainly a VW or Ford owner will end up chatting some Tesla owners while charging, check each others cars out, and then the advantages of Tesla over everyone else becomes even more clear. Faster charging, faster in general, easier ways to charge, autopilot/fsd (as I'm sure many will be curious), 'dumb' things like games and netflix, etc etc. Which will drive more over to Tesla.

I wonder how Tesla will handle queuing?

I believe the first holiday they open up there will be around 100 cars lined up at every supercharger here in Norway.

Today's most popular public charging station get bogged down every holiday. And fist fights have broke out since there is no proper queue and some manage to jump the line.

On most - except for a few notorious - superchargers today there isn't that much queuing since Tesla have like 8 or up to 50 stations while the public ones often have just 2 or perhaps 8.

Tesla is one of those few stocks that can have a +100 point day on no news. Does it tractor beam to 650? Probably but I AM NOT selling 655 calls because I'm not that confident Tesla won't crush max pain on the eve of possibly, HISTORIC earnings.

That and we are already trading 25% or more discount to ATH.

Since it's not in the money, you cannot exercise it. It would be trying to buy 100 shares of TSLA at 744 (740 + 4 per share premium).

You can hold it and see what happens next week (at the risk of it going worthless), or get your money back and some small change by selling your option.
Thanks for the info everyone. I wasn't clear, the assumption was that it goes above 740. I learned what can happen the hard way years ago on First Solar I think it was.

So can anyone identify what areas of the world Tesla Superchargers do and don’t use standardized charging connectors? (ie which countries will non-Tesla EVs need an adaptor).
According to supercharge.info, about ⅓ of all open chargers (>8000 stalls) are in the US. OEMs will need adapters to use any of them.

Last edited:
So can anyone identify what areas of the world Tesla Superchargers do and don’t use standardized charging connectors? (ie which countries will non-Tesla EVs need an adaptor).

In Europe most new cars use CCS and so do the Model 3.

Older superchargers use Type 2 which many older cars can connect with.

So most cars won't need adaptors in Europe.

And perhaps the Chademo adapter will work for non-Teslas having that old plug.

Chicago Tribune - this afternoon: Rivian pushes production launch back to September as startup EV truck maker grapples with chip shortage

Excerpt:

Startup EV truck manufacturer Rivian has pushed its production launch back to September, in part because of the semiconductor chip shortage roiling the auto industry.

Already behind its original schedule, Rivian’s first production vehicle — a $75,000 launch version of its R1T electric pickup truck — was supposed to roll off the line this month from the automaker’s factory in downstate Normal.

Rivian’s founder and CEO, RJ Scaringe, broke the news to preorder customers in an email sent from the Normal plant Friday.

“The cascading impacts of the pandemic have had a compounding effect greater than anyone anticipated,” Scaringe said. “Everything from facility construction, to equipment installation, to vehicle component supply (especially semiconductors) has been impacted by the pandemic.”

I would assume you enter your cc information online like what we do today with a Tesla account, however how they connect the non tesla's vin to your account is a mystery to me. I am also thinking other non Tesla cars will be charging at a much higher cost. There may be the possibility of block out days for non Tesla cars during peak times/hrs. Lot of things Tesla can do with a push of a button and to make other people who didn't buy a Tesla feel marginalized while getting more usage out of their charging stations during dead times.

Similar to Gridserve autocharge and Fastned - Autocharge

USA's Electrify America network uses 'essentially' the same tech, but poorly implemented.

Steps:-
Download Tesla app (captured customer!), register first time, turn up, plug in, app tells you progress, far fewer problems than EA implementation (but uses CCS/vehicle ID).

Speculation: I think Gridserve have done it more elegantly than Electrify America, charging your app/account & deducting from card if authorised or retrying later in case card auth fails. ie get the car charged, sort out money/billing later.

Further speculation, Tesla may add numberplate recognition and/or slow AC/Chademo chargers with card readers. Perfect for @Krugerrand (and my) needs for slow toilet stops & meal breaks too.

From FASTNED:-

Why is Autocharge not available for AC and CHAdeMO cars?

Only the CCS-protocol sends a unique code for each vehicle and this is not the case for cars with an AC or CHAdeMO connector. That is the reason why Autocharge cannot be used with these cars.

Many VW cars can't be used on Fastned! Might also explain Electrify America issues with VWs

1626820622480.png

Edit: words/meanings/stuff

Last edited:
Each stall has a number on it also, so if they didn’t care about making it too simple for non-teslas to charge (ie. seamless, or putting QR codes on each stall) they could simply require people to enter what stall they’re in and location-based info could tell the app what supercharger the user is at.