Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be able to construct and deploy SuCs much more efficiently than anyone else in the US. It just depends on the conditions of the Government contract. Hopefully there will be competitive bids awarded to just a few providers. The catch may be that there will be requirements to place the chargers in low-use (and therefor unprofitable) locations.

The Supercharger network was never set up to be profitable, it was setup to encourage the transition to cleaner technologies. With the Cybertruck entering production shortly, more rural Superchargers will make a big difference in the adoption of EV's. And these new EV fans will be giving up trucks and SUV's that only get 12 to 20 mpg. Before the Cybertruck, many rural motorists were not going to make the switch because they need a vehicle that can handle the occasional really rough patch. The Cybertruck can do that and more.

Rural SC's will make older pickups and SUV's hit the scrapyard sooner. The economics of switching to electric in this market is quite compelling and is what will drive sales of Cybertrucks to jaw-dropping levels. Don't believe the people who say the Cybertruck looks too radical, too different to be adopted by rural America. By the time Tesla is pumping them out in high volume the rural folks with money for a new truck are going to want in on the action. They drive a lot miles to get around and will benefit hugely from a 300 mile range EV that can be charged along the way.

So just watched and one comment made me wonder what others think. In the earnings release Tesla said the following about Cybertruck

"We are also making progress on the industrialization of Cybertruck, which is currently planned for Austin production subsequent to Model Y."

Tom Nash apparently took that as a 1 year delay. Seems others have as well. I took it as start of production of Cybertruck at Austin will delayed a few months. Tesla specifically said Semi delayed until 2022. Cybertruck just that production will start after Model Y not a year later. Made me think Model Y 4th quarter and Cybertruck 1st quarter.
I took Elon’s perseverating on supply chain wrt multiple questions to mean that they will navigate the supply chain issues, which affect many of their products, as best they might. They may have to make trade-offs and tough choices which will affect the timelines of various products in unpredictable ways, or not.

Also, there is still some uncertainty, though not fundamental, in bringing the new battery technologies to fruition and that also influences timelines across products.

Even the bullish analysts and fund managers must be conservative in the face of the uncertainty in order to cover their, ah, reputations. This of course creates an opportunity for investors who have the luxury of looking long term and not having to justify themselves to anyone else.

As soon as the big kinks are worked out and the line is running mostly smoothly, they will transfer their most skilled production engineers to setup the Cybertruck production. Before that happens the Cybertruck development team will be verifying processes, testing, exploring various manufacturing techniques that may be unique to Cybertruck, etc. Then the Cybertruck production line design will be finalized and setup. This could be a lengthy process or it could go quite smoothly. If anyone can make it happen quickly, it would be Tesla. There are a lot of unknowns.

I note in the quote "currently planned for Austin production". That word "currently" sticks out like a sore thumb to me. It could be simply being cautious as you say. Although I dearly want the CT as soon as possible, the possibility that double casting Model Y with 4680 pack demand exceeds expectations, it might be that moving Semi back a bit allows for CT to start production in CA or NV initially so that Austin can have full concentration on starting up the Y as briskly as possible.

Whatever happens, it is great for Tesla to have the resources and flexibility to even have such options.:)

Dude in charge of Department of Energy loans linked to this article promoting Tesla battery developments

Big earnings beat by Ford and forecasting 10B in profit for 2021. They are increasing Mach -E production by 70 percent and doing similar for the launches of F-150 lightning and electric transit. Exciting times for EVs

I guess any increase is better than no increase but 70% more than very little is still very little. I'll be impressed if they can do 50% compounded annually in subsequent years. Did they try to tie their earnings beat to EV's? No, I didn't think so. It's from selling gas guzzlers.

Last edited:
Last tidbit laughter for the day:

View attachment 689302

And my response:

Tesla's business is a joke?...Not as big of a joke as this though:

View attachment 689303

Engle is one of the worst Tesla bloggers on Sucking Alpha, but I didn't know he is ranked in the bottom half of the bottom 1% of Tipranks "experts."

I confess I look forward to the day when Tesla's tsunami of success puts a tsunami of egg on the faces of loudmouth liars like Engle and Johnson. Justice is in short supply in this world, but sometimes the wicked get shamed. Too bad they are probably incapable of shame.

why you guys even bother to give those kind of clueless peeps any attention? It’s obvious that their own clients, if they exist, don’t even give them that much attention if they have those results. I mean come on, -50% returns… who in their right mind invests with those people? Their mothers? 😂

The terms/requirements are going to be critical. From the article (emphases mine):

The chargers are likely to be placed along heavily traveled highways that would be advantageous for long-distance travel and in communities for additional charging options in residential and commercial locations. However, the funding would have a “particular focus on rural, disadvantaged, and hard-to-reach communities.
It’s extremely important for the energy transition that rural areas are included in the transition, especially those that are or will be negatively affected by it.

For example here is a video about the Navaho Nation in Arizona which has had its coal plant shut down. I strongly encourage those interested in the energy transition to watch it (you’ll need to cut and paste because the direct link doesn’t work here due to the privacy settings on the Vimeo side): vimeo.com/509951977/6892286d6d

The plant was the largest employer on the reservation, some 700 people. It also used a staggering amount of water in an arid climate.

Tony Seba is great with the grand view. It is also instructive to see a vignette that captures what things look like in one situation and how the transition is affecting the people in that situation.

This film came to my attention via E2. It is an environmental group that lobbies for practical and economic policies to address the climate crisis. I have been a member for going on 15 years or so. I highly recommend joining them: E2 - Good for the Economy. Good for the Environment.

Last edited:
Engle is one of the worst Tesla bloggers on Sucking Alpha, but I didn't know he is ranked in the bottom half of the bottom 1% of Tipranks "experts."

I confess I look forward to the day when Tesla's tsunami of success puts a tsunami of egg on the faces of loudmouth liars like Engle and Johnson. Justice is in short supply in this world, but sometimes the wicked get shamed. Too bad they are probably incapable of shame.

Something tells me people like that will go directly from "Tesla can't compete with real car makers and is going bankrupt any month now" to "Tesla is a monopoly dominating the market and illegally stifling competition, they must be broken up and chained before they ruin capitalism. They have run amuck and the Feds must stop them." 🤪

why you guys even bother to give those kind of clueless peeps any attention? It’s obvious that their own clients, if they exist, don’t even give them that much attention if they have those results. I mean come on, -50% returns… who in their right mind invests with those people? Their mothers? 😂
Even my mom would not invest with me if i gave her those returns ;) ...Engle ranks up there with Gordo...pure entertainment and falls into the category of "If i tell myself that a super model will date me....it will happen eventually.....even if it is in my dreams"

I've no idea why anyone listens to these people reporting any negative unproven garbage that comes along.

The May Chinese 50% drop in orders, the use of damaged cells in model 3, the 'muddy field of China', the car parks full of undelivered cars etc etc. yet every new piece of trash from them is picked up and ran with by every news agency.

Looking forward to another 5-1 split announcement within 2 weeks due to the structure of the Tesla Employee Stock Purchasing Plan.

One of the stock split's possible purpose could be to benefit employees to maximize efficient use of their payroll deductions.

Purchase Price” means an amount equal to eighty-five percent (85%) of the Fair Market Value of a share of Common Stock on the Enrollment Date or on the Exercise Date, whichever is lower.

"No fractional shares of Common Stock will be purchased; any payroll deductions accumulated in a Participant’s account, which are not sufficient to purchase a full share will be returned to the Participant. "

“Exercise Date” means the last Trading Day in February and August of each Offering Period.

This is why the split date, if there is one, should be on Sept 1 to align with the start of a new offering period.

At the same time as benefiting the lower pay range employees, Tesla wants not to overly benefit their high paying employees with high stock price
-- "in no event will an Eligible Employee be permitted to purchase under the Plan during each Offering Period more than 500 shares of Common Stock"

- hence another possible reason for Elon's tweet on May 1, 2020 - "Tesla Stock Price is too high", if a large number of already highly paid employees can get 500 shares of $700 stock at 15% off.

Source : EX-4.5

Credit: started looking into this from a mention in tweet by @jpr007

Last edited:
I found some big news. There is a proposed settlement for the Batterygate class action suit. More details in this post.

In summary Tesla will pay $1.5M, $410k of that to attorneys, and $625/vehicle for people that were impacted by the temporary charge restriction. (There were only 1,743 vehicles impacted.)

The court still has to approve it so it isn't a done deal, but it seems very likely that it will be approved. (The plaintiff's said that they calculated actual damages at $175/vehicle so $625/vehicle is a good deal for the class.)

Last edited:
I found some big news. There is a proposed settlement for the Batterygate class action suit. More details in this post.

In summary Tesla will pay $1.5M, $410k of that to attorneys, and $625/vehicle for people that were impacted by the temporary charge restriction. (There were only 1,743 vehicles impacted.)

The court still has to approve it so it isn't a done deal, but it seems very likely that it will be approved. (The plaintiff's said that they calculated actual damages at $175/vehicle so $625/vehicle is a good deal for the class.)
Damn, I got more gift cards from Volkswagen from Dieselgate..and that was before the 6.5k they paid out to me.

Looking forward to another 5-1 split announcement within 2 weeks due to the structure of the Tesla Employee Stock Purchasing Plan.

One of the stock split's possible purpose could be to benefit employees to maximize efficient use of their payroll deductions.

Purchase Price” means an amount equal to eighty-five percent (85%) of the Fair Market Value of a share of Common Stock on the Enrollment Date or on the Exercise Date, whichever is lower.

"No fractional shares of Common Stock will be purchased; any payroll deductions accumulated in a Participant’s account, which are not sufficient to purchase a full share will be returned to the Participant. "

“Exercise Date” means the last Trading Day in February and August of each Offering Period.

This is why the split date, if there is one, should be on Sept 1 to align with the start of a new offering period.

At the same time as benefiting the lower pay range employees, Tesla wants not to overly benefit their high paying employees with high stock price
-- "in no event will an Eligible Employee be permitted to purchase under the Plan during each Offering Period more than 500 shares of Common Stock"

- hence another possible reason for Elon's tweet on May 1, 2020 - "Tesla Stock Price is too high", if a large number of already highly paid employees can get 500 shares of $700 stock at 15% off.

Source : EX-4.5

Credit: started looking into this from a mention in tweet by @jpr007
Great intel, thx.