Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Limiting Factor on Youtube | Jordan Giesige (July 30, 2021)

"Tesla's Q2 2021 Earnings Call - Just the Batteries" (27:51)

"In this video I provide my thoughts and commentary on Tesla's Q2 2021 Earnings Call - just the parts about batteries."​

Timeline:
00:00 Introduction
01:19 Investor Slide Deck Paragraph
05:26 2170 Back-up Plan
06:13 Cell Improvements
06:30 Cell Supply
08:43 Shift to LFP
10:44 4680 Progress
14:59 Delays
18:35 Fastest Complex Production Ramp in History
19:24 DBE
21:08 Other 4680s
22:43 Summary

#BattChat #BatteryTwitter

There is value in helping push the energy transition out onto the water. Yachts aren’t a bad place to start—in the same way that the first Roadster and the Model S helped pave the way for subsequent vehicles.

Large electric cars and solar-electric yachts also help raise awareness in circles that may benefit from it. People in those circles have the means to act on that awareness. The economics of amusement and vanity are, perhaps, easier than the hard accounting of practical applications.

Let‘s face it, the ‘eat your granola’ approach to EV’s didn’t work. Similarly, the idea that any significant number of people can go back to some pastoral past is fantasy and would be ecologically disastrous.

"Just say ‘No’ to yachts!" is in the same league of nonstarters. We can’t go backwards, we must power our way forward.

Fortunately, electric can be way more fun. Yes, some in those circles will take pleasure in watching today's vocal puritans gag on the bile of their resentment (indulging one’s outrage for that frisson of moral superiority is as much a sin in my book). "Fine" I say, "at least go electric, please." Boats, planes, and trains must be transitioned.
Good post ...I mostly agree. As we can see with so many issues ...shaming does not further the mission.

But you left out large class A motorhomes.
I'm sure it was just an oversight :cool:

St microelectronics signs contract to provide Tesla with chips.

Sabotage

While one could question the wisdom of interning at somewhere like Morgan Stanley in the first place, it seems like they should hire some of those wise interns.
Well there are only so many jobs at the top 10 institutions this summer…….a group that I think is quite representative of the “talented youth cohort”……many are dipping their toes into TSLA, and some could be showing up on TMC already. Anyone here?

Did FSD 9.1 go out last night?
There's been a few initial videos out. I've watched short ones on twitter from Whole Mars and K10 and below is a longer test loop from James Locke. Search FSD 9.1 on YouTube and you will find a few more in the last few hours.

Initial comments indicate that it's smoother than 9.0. Still early with these night time runs, it will be interesting to see what the daylight tests reveal.

I just gave a test drive to my 20 years old nephew 2 weeks ago in my Model Y and he was reacting the same way I would have reacted driving a Lambo at his age.

Tesla represents to the Zoomers and the Millenials what Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari were to us when we were young.
I used to coach HS golf, and would occasionally ferry top performers to matches in my S — their impressions were totally in line with this, the MS interns, etc.

Some investors (me being one) received less shares than stated on the note. My guess is that Tesla must offer the conversion rate at some point, but can make other offers with arbitrary terms. The retail investor is at risk because:

1. We don't get copies of the conversion offers from Tesla. I've requested copies from two brokers, but they aren't willing to give them out.

2. The broker at etrade was not able to specify the conversion rate, and not comfortable stating which note would be applied. He said he's getting updates from Tesla on this note daily. One note stated 14 shares / $1000 instead of the original 16 shares / $1000.

3. The contact for Tesla legal is through a web form. They haven't responded.

I asked one forum member who said they successfully converted prior to the split. I assume they received the expected shares, but it's also possible they didn't count or found a discrepancy later.
It could be that Etrade is the one ripping you off. They don't want you to the see the conversion offer because if you did you'd have the evidence to hold them accountable. Etrade ripped me off back in the days of dial up when I used a market order to sell (to close) an SPX option contract. They delayed the order execution over 4 hours (during which many hundreds of these options contracts traded) and couldn't provide an explanation for that. I made money on the trade but it was several thousand less than if they had executed within a few minutes of receiving the order. Heck, it was more than $1k less than if they executed it within 1 hour. It took them a very long time to provide documentation on the time of order entry and the time of execution but they eventually did, but with no explanation of the gigantic time between them. Needless to say I closed that account and switched brokers. The amount was small enough I didn't consider it worth suing over, but your situation could be different. I'd guess they want to make that harder by leaving it unclear who is the responsible party.

I bet Tesla wanted to use the iOS app for direct payment (meaning charging your iTunes account) without incurring the 30% fee for something, like non-Tesla supercharging. That way, casual users wouldn’t have to enter credit card details somewhere separate (a web page) like they do now — you can’t enter your CC into the app, only your account on the Tesla web page AFAIK.

That would have made authorizing a supercharging session much simpler for a new, non-Tesla user, as it would be an in-app purchase like any other on your iPhone. Instead, they’ll have to launch a browser from the app, create an account and enter cc info, then go back to the app and log in. That’s a much worse UX for a first time user.

Maybe it’s not that specifically, but it sure sounds like Tesla wanted to skirt the 30% commission in some way. The Epic situation is really totally different, because there you’re paying for something that’s consumed on the iOS platform (a game), rather than a real good or service.

Clearly something is bugging Elon about Apple. As a fan of both, I wish they’d play nice.

I bet Tesla wanted to use the iOS app for direct payment (meaning charging your iTunes account) without incurring the 30% fee for something, like non-Tesla supercharging. That way, casual users wouldn’t have to enter credit card details somewhere separate (a web page) like they do now — you can’t enter your CC into the app, only your account on the Tesla web page AFAIK.

That would have made authorizing a supercharging session much simpler for a new, non-Tesla user, as it would be an in-app purchase like any other on your iPhone. Instead, they’ll have to launch a browser from the app, create an account and enter cc info, then go back to the app and log in. That’s a much worse UX for a first time user.

Maybe it’s not that specifically, but it sure sounds like Tesla wanted to skirt the 30% commission in some way. The Epic situation is really totally different, because there you’re paying for something that’s consumed on the iOS platform (a game), rather than a real good or service.

Clearly something is bugging Elon about Apple. As a fan of both, I wish they’d play nice.
Given how unreliable the competitors chargers are, entering a CC number seems like a minor inconvenience. It's one time to enter CC and if Tesla can make this as reliable as it is now for Tesla users the experience will be good.

Probably the biggest challenge for the non-Tesla users is finding the station and stall number. Hopefully Tesla can use GPS to find the station and maybe even suggest a stall.

Does google have the same tax with in app purchases on Android?

How does Amazon do it? Almost all my Amazon purchases are from my iPhone. Surely Amazon isn’t giving up 30% of those purchases to AAPL.