Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that this is just the beginning of many many more of these type of articles saying how Telsa ought to pay for beta software damage....
It's a good thing then that Tesla has specific wording that these features are only be to used under supervision.

Doesn't matter how much people want to complain about their screw ups. Tesla is protected from these claims.

Not surprising…

Not surprising…

This is likely going to be blown out of proportion even though it's been clear Tesla would only make a small number of Cybertrucks this year that were always likely not going to be delivered until the beginning of 2022. You figure trial production starts in Nov/Dec and then first deliveries likely won't happen until mid Q1.

Last edited:
It's a good thing then that Tesla has specific wording that these features are only be to used under supervision.

Doesn't matter how much people want to complain about their screw ups. Tesla is protected from these claims.
Not only is the language regarding who is ultimately liable for any mishaps crystal clear, Tesla specifically warns it may not see narrow objects such as poles.

I don't think that guy read the instructions before he used it. :rolleyes:

I think that this is just the beginning of many many more of these type of articles saying how Telsa ought to pay for beta software damage....
"David Alford from Fresno, California witnessed his Tesla crash into a pole while using the Smart Summon feature"...first sentence of the article. You have to actively push a button and hold it down. So if you are looking at your Tesla crashing into a pole without lifting up your summon button then I'm sorry guy but you damaged your car for the sake of science.

This is likely going to be blown out of proportion even though it's been clear Tesla would only make a small number of Cybertrucks this year that were always likely not going to be delivered until the beginning of 2022. You figure trial production starts in Nov/Dec and then first deliveries likely won't happen until mid Q1.
Priced in post earnings call. Also it's pretty clear they are starting Texas with the Y which means Tesla will hit positive margins quickly vs having the Cybertruck program dragging down margins. So wallstreet sees this as a positive modeling out into 2022.

I am sort of confused. I thought it was already pretty clear very few or no customers would get them in q4. Maybe just employees. So I don’t see this as a big delay.

"David Alford from Fresno, California witnessed his Tesla crash into a pole while using the Smart Summon feature"...first sentence of the article. You have to actively push a button and hold it down. So if you are looking at your Tesla crashing into a pole without lifting up your summon button then I'm sorry guy but you damaged your car for the sake of science.

Shouldn't there be a "Carwin Award" for this?

I am sort of confused. I thought it was already pretty clear very few or no customers would get them in q4. Maybe just employees. So I don’t see this as a big delay.

Yeah that's my point. This isn't any sort of delay to me. They've stated a couple times now volume production wouldn't happen until 2022 and that new language on the website seems to just be them reiterating that to anyone thinking of placing an order.

I genuinely feel for this owner. He likes his Tesla and the company, obviously purchased FSD, and was trying summon for the second time. Granted, the pole next to his car was the judgment error, but he felt like the GUI implied it would go forward and he was wrong. Tesla does not have liability here, that is clear. I just think it is unfortunate to mess up your car using some of the party tricks. I see article after article in our future once the "button" is released.

I genuinely feel for this owner. He likes his Tesla and the company, obviously purchased FSD, and was trying summon for the second time. Granted, the pole next to his car was the judgment error, but he felt like the GUI implied it would go forward and he was wrong. Tesla does not have liability here, that is clear. I just think it is unfortunate to mess up your car using some of the party tricks. I see article after article in our future once the "button" is released.
I think FSD button will be much more refined than smart summon. Apparently FSD currently already looks much better than when people who had Ap 2 after Tesla decided to ditch AP1.

I suspect that the CT delay is due to the 4680 batteries. They aren't quite ready yet, hence the non structural backup plan for the MY that was shared during the earnings call. Not only is Austin committed to the MY ramp first, but the MY likely has to be using the 4680s too.

Management said they will build the Texas Model Y as soon as the lines are ready, if they don't have 4680 cells they will use 2170's. I think the Cybertruck delay, if you can call it that, is simply that Tesla isn't going to try to ramp two vehicles in one plant at the same time.

Last edited:
On the customer service issue, I wish there was an executive reporting to Elon whose only job was to make service awesome, both before and after the sale. (Before seems to need more work at the moment.) They could start with an automated system to email every reservation holder a weekly update saying ‘nothing to report yet but your order is still in the queue’ and sadly, just that would be a major improvement.

Some of the after-effect of Tesla being left out of the Biden-party for EVs is actually negative, a union supporter Youtuber uses the occasion to spread FUD about Musk being a "union-buster" and laughing that he was "of course" not invited:
I’m a proud union member. American labor has done much good for our country. Particularly the firefighters union to which I belong.

With that said, unions IMO have lost their way a bit. From protecting American workers to protecting American unions…of this I’m ashamed.

We need not look farther than the current situation of the California teachers union which has given us (union members) a black eye by prioritizing teachers over students. If safety was priority they would be supporting the need for teachers vaccinations in order to safely return to work.

Tesla compensates their employees quite well. Arguably better than non union factory workers (stock compensation). We see in California how many of the best (paid) jobs are in Tech; it’s not a coincidence IMO that these are not union shops

I have had conversations about this with my own local union president. And I think I’ve had an impact. He recently took delivery of a refreshed model S.

Currently unions have a death grip on American manufacturing…I’m afraid it’s actually become a stranglehold.

Rant complete.

On the customer service issue, I wish there was an executive reporting to Elon whose only job was to make service awesome, both before and after the sale. (Before seems to need more work at the moment.) They could start with an automated system to email every reservation holder a weekly update saying ‘nothing to report yet but your order is still in the queue’ and sadly, just that would be a major improvement.
My dealing with before and after the sale with Tesla was pretty good.
Actually picking up the car though and follow up was another story.
Tesla blows away all the other auto corps in everything else. In service they are awful.
Worse than Chevy, GMC, Jeep, or Buick. ( Dealers I have experience with )

I’m a proud union member. American labor has done much good for our country. Particularly the firefighters union to which I belong.

With that said, unions IMO have lost their way a bit. From protecting American workers to protecting American unions…of this I’m ashamed.

We need not look farther than the current situation of the California teachers union which has given us (union members) a black eye by prioritizing teachers over students. If safety was priority they would be supporting the need for teachers vaccinations in order to safely return to work.

Tesla compensates their employees quite well. Arguably better than non union factory workers (stock compensation). We see in California how many of the best (paid) jobs are in Tech; it’s not a coincidence IMO that these are not union shops

I have had conversations about this with my own local union president. And I think I’ve had an impact. He recently took delivery of a refreshed model S.

Currently unions have a death grip on American manufacturing…I’m afraid it’s actually become a stranglehold.

Rant complete.
Some of the after-effect of Tesla being left out of the Biden-party for EVs is actually negative, a union supporter Youtuber uses the occasion to spread FUD about Musk being a "union-buster" and laughing that he was "of course" not invited:
If UAW so eager to build EV, then maybe they could convince Ford to move March-E production back to US.

Until then, they are slowing down the transition to sustainable energy.