Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During July 28 to August 2, TSLA popped upward well above its 200-day SMA (simple moving average) amid increased trading volume. However, so far in this annual vacation month, the share price has been channeled into a narrowing pennant as volume withered to a pathetically thin level today. The usual resolution of such a pennant is a resumption of the previous trend (in this case upward). Perhaps some news is needed to give it a kick.

If you knew what you were talking about, the sole departure from the plans shown in Mr Musk’s tweets is that the costlier versions of the Models 3 & Y being sold in China (if indeed there are any) are not coming from Fremont. And that is an Inconsequentially minor departure.

Why? Why not the earlier tweet, as you and, apparently, many of those who jumped on your post seem to be assuming and either defending or castigating? Because Mr Musk used the correct term. The “greater China region” specifically means NE Asia, SE Asia, Australia and New Zealand, and it has meant that for many decades.
I think you will be greeted with a bunch of surprised faces if you tried telling Australians & New Zealanders that they are considered part of “Greater China”. As a comparison, Australia/NZ is further away from China than the USA is from Europe. I have never heard any other company describe countries in the Southern Hemisphere as being part of “greater China“. Open to being corrected, but most global companies classify Australia & NZ as Oceania/Australasia or “APAC” (Asia-Pacific) or “ROW” (Rest of Wold) for reporting purposes, and APAC/ROW usually excludes China (Which is normally broken out into its own geographic segment as ‘Greater China“ which includes Mainland China, HK, Macau & Taiwan sales)

I think one needs to consider the political landscape at the time that Shanghai factory was announced - there was a US administration incredibly hostile to China trade, and wanted to boost US manufacturing by any means possible, especially in cars. If there was a possibility that a new China Tesla factory would end up being the main tesla export hub (replacing USA factory as export hub) that would not have sat well with the administration and attempted punitive actions wouldn’t have been out of the realm of possibility at the time, not to mention excessive negative bad mouthing by POTUS which would impact the purchasing decisions of almost half the US population. I can see why Tesla wouldn’t have wanted to magnify that option at the time.

Last edited:
Latest pump'n'dump now unraveling:

Yeah, sure, because Tesla was gonna entrust their bty supply for their largest project ever to their direct EV competitor in China. :p

P.S. Have bridge in Brooklyn, slightly used, good price for the rite buyer.

Sitting at a SC in South Carolina. They have a charge point charger next to the Tesla ones.

Nice lady pulls in with a Nissan Leaf. Can't get the charge point to work....kinda like all the you tube videos you can watch. You must have a charge point card...or NFC enabled phone with their app to use. She had neither....and 12 miles of range left.

So in the interest of being a human I downloaded the charge point app and got her charging.

What this has to do with the SP is this.
ALL other EV's manufacturers have passed this important step off to third party's to provide charging. And it is a mess.

I showed her how easy Tesla charging is...so maybe a convert.

O and they were sitting in the car with ac off and it's 95 here.

One more edit...this is the charge profile
View attachment 695293
Thank you for your compassion and likely future Model 2/Q sale. 1000 Internet points to you. Not everyone has the means to buy a Tesla, or for that matter, even an EV. We need more people to experience and drive EVs period! Every mile driven on electricity is important, PHEV, old Leaf, or Plaid+. Given the charging profile, I will guess that this was an older 2010-2016 Leaf (24 KWh) that was purchased used for less than $10,000, maybe even $5000, and the person was very new to the vehicle. They probably actually believed the used car salesman who said it had a 100 mi range (never did new, and certainly doesn’t now). FWIW, 12 miles on my 2011 Leaf is actually about 25-30% SOC and will easily travel 20-30 mi in town. I still have my ReddyLeaf and love it for in-town driving, even though it might get 50 mi on a good day. To return this to Tesla financials: I started with the 2011 Leaf and eventually bought a new 2015 S70D. Now, after investing in TSLA, I will return some of the profits directly to Tesla by purchasing a few Model Y’s for family members and a MS Plaid for myself.

I'm personally disappointed by this since I'm planning to buy a Y and a CT in the next couple years but, it will be fun to see how they pivot when Tesla is suddenly mass producing a model for less than 40 grand that's way better than everything else available in that price range.
I just figured out this is the old one and different than the Clean Energy Act. Should we assume they are going to try to apply the same price limit when Clean Energy gets pushed through?

...And it looks like until Berlin comes online, Tesla will continue to lose market share in Europe and China. Kind of picking their poison at the moment (in terms of market share).

Try to be serious. Tesla's market share is growing 50-100% per year, because their market is the car market.

Last edited:
Latest pump'n'dump now unraveling:

Yeah, sure, because Tesla was gonna entrust their bty supply for their largest project ever to their direct EV competitor in China. :p

P.S. Have bridge in Brooklyn, slightly used, good price for the rite buyer.
The wording used for the denial could have been lost in translation, but it is an interesting choice of words. The statement does not deny the deal, but simply says they never told the media about it.

It's just two cities and nothing to do with the state of TX.. Neither was first mover like LV, nor where they second mover like the cities in Flordia. Nor are they really 3rd like Chicago. SO...

yes it is interesting but barely.
...the tunneling system we need worldwide? Yes, agree. It's great Texas is giving Elon Musk and team the ability to actually make a reality what he thinks is the right approach. Just wish other states were just as quick to adopt.

Reactions: Skryll