Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll find out more on friday. Hoping it will still be a wait and see approach but seems there are disagreements regarding tapering among the fed. The problem is the worry that inflation will be going out of control too fast. Ironically, lockdowns / COVID variants kicks that inflation can down the road ...
It seems wise to begin tapering sooner rather than later, particularly with the Trillion $ Infrastructure Plan about to inject gobs of cash looming on the horizon.

If they (the Fed and Congress) can play their cards right these actions may offset one another in order to smooth out uncomfortable ripples which would be generated by any significant spending legislation going into effect.

Reactions: S3XY
New video from Giga Factory Shanghai showing some of the production processes. This is mind boggling.

I’m excited to see what improvements Berlin and Austin will have.

This is a must watch.

Motors appear to be almost 100% automated.
Don't think we have seen any battery pack automation before?
We get to see much more of what goes on in the 2nd and 3rd levels - 3D manufacturing is cool.
They are starting to treat cars like Amazon treats parcels:
1629917834221.png

Drifting up to $715 on low volume. Similar setup as the end of last week perhaps? We shot well above the $680 max pain level on low volume, but zero selling interest. MM's knocked us down to $680 on the nose by Friday close with relative ease.

Now, last week was a much bigger options week, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're down at $700 again by mid-day Friday. The volume is so low the max pain MM algo can't resist!

Maybe buy a few ATM calls again Friday at 2pm, sell them for double when the naked shorting is unwound the following Mon/Tues.

Drifting up to $715 on low volume. Similar setup as the end of last week perhaps? We shot well above the $680 max pain level on low volume, but zero selling interest. MM's knocked us down to $680 on the nose by Friday close with relative ease.

Now, last week was a much bigger options week, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're down at $700 again by mid-day Friday. The volume is so low the max pain MM algo can't resist!

Maybe buy a few ATM calls again Friday at 2pm, sell them for double when the naked shorting is unwound the following Mon/Tues.
I was actually starting to suspect this SP movement the past few days is a head fake. As the MM’s move it up with low volume... increasing the premium on the 710 and 720 tremendously, and they know they have control to push it down end of week.

Reactions: La_crolle
Thanks for posting as I was going to post this also. Fires and deaths from ICE vehicles and you can add CATALYTIC converter starting fires in forests and other dry areas. Have we had enough of the deceitful mainstream media reporting yet? Writing my representatives seem to fall on deaf ears.
Munro expressed my feelings. I can only hope some common sense gets into the heads of our government. The Climate Crisis will not be solved by those that created it and enable them for $.
Well said Sandy. Thanks.

Writing/emailing your representatives does NOT fall on deaf ears unless you are a narrow interest with no money to support their next campaign. The climate crisis is a broad issue affecting us all and elected representatives definitely pay attention to what their constituents think.

Special interest with $$$$ = important
Broad interest without $$ = important

The trick is to convince them you are talking about a broad interest and the way you do that is to contact them and show them the error of their ways. Sure, you don't get immediate gratification but that's the nature of how the process works. You can rest easy knowing that politicians grade the mail they get on a curve because they know most people will never write. So, when you do, you are assuming the voice of hundreds or thousands of voters.

The good news is you can't stop an idea whose time has come (but you can speed it up). From a first-principles thinking perspective this means if you care about an issue, write and write often. Make the letters short and sweet and easy to categorize and since politicians don't compare notes, you can send the same one to many politicians.

Just had my mobile service come by. Had a nice chat with the mechanic. A couple of tidbits
  • There are FSD beta drivers in Canada. He knew of one in the Vancouver area. They are all Tesla employees though;
  • There are about 5,000 deliveries every quarter in the Vancouver area alone! This runs to 50-60 deliveries each day and increases to 80 at the end of the week;
  • All the stuff online about build quality has its effect on people as some customers are very picky about panel gaps.

Elon has just replied to Lex Fridman tweeting about his thoughts on AI Day saying "Summarized well". Here is the text of Lex's AI Day reaction video:

Lex Fridman

Tesla AI Day presented the most amazing real-world AI and engineering effort I have ever seen in my life. I wrote this, and I meant it.

Why was it amazing to me? No, not primarily because of the Tesla Bot.

It was amazing because:

• I believe the autonomous driving task, and the general, real-world, robotics perception and planning task, is a lot harder than people generally think, and I also believed that
  • The scale of effort in algorithm, data, annotation, simulation, inference compute and training compute required to solve these problems was something no one would be able to do in the near-term.
  • Yesterday was the first time I saw in one place just the kind and the scale of effort that is a chance to solve this, the autonomous driving problem, and the general, real-world, robotics perception and planning problem.
  • This includes:
  • The neural network architecture and pipeline,
  • The autopilot compute hardware in the car,
  • Dojo compute hardware for training,
  • The data, and the annotation,
  • The simulation for rare edge-cases, and, yes,
  • The generalised application of all of the above, beyond the car robot, to the humanoid form.
Let’s go through the big innovations:

The neural network:

• Each of these is a difficult, and I would say brilliant design idea, that is either a step- or a leap-forward from the state of the art in machine learning.
  • First is to predict in vector-space, not in image-space. This alone is a big leap beyond what is usually done in computer vision, that usually operates in the image-space, in the 2-dimensional image.
  • The thing about reality is that it happens out there in the 3-dimensional world, and it doesn’t make sense to be doing all the machine learning on the 2-d projections of it on to images. Like many good ideas, this is an obvious one, but a very difficult one.
  • Second is a fusion of camera sensor data before the detections (the detections perfomed by the different heads of the multi-task neural network). For now the fusion is at the multi-scale feature level.
  • Again, in retrospect, an obvious but a very difficult engineering step, of doing the detection and the machine learning on all of the sensors combined, as opposed to doing them individually and combining all the decisions.
  • Third is using video context to model not just vector-space, but time. At each frame, concatenating positional encodings, multi-cam features, and ego kinematics, using a pretty cool spatial recurring neural network architecture, that forms a 2-d grid around the car where each cell of the grid is a RNN (recurring neural network).
  • The other cool aspect of this is that you can then build a map in the space of RNN features, and then do planning in that space, which is a fascinating concept.
  • Andrej Karpathy, I think, also mentioned some future improvements, performing the fusion earlier in the neural network. Currently the fusion of space and time are late in the network. Moving the fusion earlier on takes us further toward full, end-to-end driving with multiple modalities, seamlessly fusing – integrating – the multiple sources of sensory data.
  • Finally, the place where there is currently – from my understanding – the least amount of utilisation of neural networks is planning. So, obviously optimal planning in exospace (?) is intractable, so that you have to come up with a bunch of heuristics. You can do those manually, or you can do those through learning. So the idea that was presented was to use neural networks as heuristics, in a similar way that neural networks were used as heuristics in the Monte Carlo tree search for Mu-Zero and AlphaZero to different games, to play Go, to play chess. This allows you to significantly improve on the search through action space, for a plan that doesn’t get stuck in the local optima and gets pretty close to the global optimum.
  • I really appreciated that the presentation didn’t dumb anything down, but maybe in all the technical details it was easy to miss just how much brilliant innovation there was here.
  • The move to predicting in vector-space is truly brilliant. Of course you can only do that if you have the data, and you have the annotation for it, but just to take that step is already taking a step outside the box of the way things are currently done in computer vision. Then fusing seamlessly across many camera sensors. Incorporating time into the whole thing in a way that’s differentiable with these spatial RNNs. And then of course using that beautiful mess of features, both on the individual image side, and the RNN side, to make plans, using neural network architecture as a heuristic, I mean all of that is just brilliant.
  • The other critical part of making all of this work is the data and the data annotation.
  • First, is the manual labelling. So to make the neural networks that predict in vector space work, you have to label in vector-space. So you have to create in-house tools, and as it turned out, Tesla hired an in-house team of annotators to use those tools, to then perform the labelling in vector-space, and then project it out into the image-space. First of all, that saves a lot of work, then second of all, that means you’re directly performing the annotation in the space in which you are doing the prediction.
  • Obviously, as was always the case, as is the case with self-supervised learning, auto-labelling is the key to this whole thing. One of the interesting things that was presented was the use of clips of data: that includes video, IMU, GPS, odometry and so on, for multiple vehicles in the same location and time, to generate labels of both the static world and the moving objects and their kinematics. That’s really cool, you have these little clips, these buckets of data from different vehicles, and they’re kind of annotating each other. You’re registering them together to then combine a solid annotation of that particular part of road at a particular time. That’s amazing because the more the fleet grows, the stronger that kind of auto-labelling becomes, and the more edge-cases you are able to catch that way
Speaking of edge-cases, that’s what Tesla is using simulation for, is to simulate rare edge-cases that are not going to appear often in the data, even when that data set grows incredibly large.

And also, they are using it for annotation of ultra-complex scenes where accurate labelling of real-world data is basically impossible, like a scene with a hundred pedestrians, which is I think the example they used. So I honestly think the innovations on the neural network architecture and the data annotation is really just a big leap.

Then there’s the continued innovation on the autopilot computer side.

• The neural network compiler that optimises latency, and so on.
  • There’s, uh, I think I remember really nice testing and debugging tools, for variance of candidate-trained neural networks to be deployed in the future, or you can compare different neural networks together. That’s almost like developer tools for to-be-deployed neural networks.
  • And it was mentioned that almost ten thousand GPUs are currently being used to continually retrain the network. I forget what the number was but I think every week or every two weeks the network is fully retrained, end-to-end.
The other really big innovation, but unlike the neural network and the data annotation this is in the future, so to-be-deployed still, it’s still under development – is the Dojo computer, which is used for training.

• So the Autopilot computer is the computer on the car that is doing the inference, and the Dojo computer is the thing that you would have in the data centre, that performs the training of the neural network.
  • There’s a – what they’re calling a single training tile – that is nine petaflops (laughing). It’s made up of D1 chips that are built in-house by Tesla. Each chip with super-fast I/O, each tile also with super-fast I/O, so you can basically connect an arbitrary number of these together, each with a power supply and cooling.
  • And then I think they connected a million nodes, to have a compute centre. I forget what the name is, but it’s 1.1 exoflops. So combined with the fact that this can arbitrarily scale, this is basically contending to be the world’s most powerful neural network computer.
  • Again, the entire picture that was presented on AI Day was amazing, because the – what would you call it? – the Tesla AI Machine can improve arbitrarily through the iterative data engine process of auto-labelling plus manual labelling of edge-cases – so the labelling stage, plus data collection, re-training, deploying. And again you go back to the data collection, the labelling, re-training, deploying. And you can go through this loop as many times as you want to arbitrarily improve the performance of the network.
I still think nobody knows how difficult the autonomous driving problem is, but I also think this loop does not have a ceiling. I still think there’s a big place for driver sensing, I still think you have to solve the human-robot interaction problem to make the experience more pleasant, but dammit (laughing) this loop of manual and auto-labelling that leads to re-training, that leads to deployment, that goes back to the data collection and the auto-labelling and the manual labelling is incredible.

• Second reason this whole effort is amazing is that Dojo can essentially become an AI training as a service, directly taking on Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud. There’s no reason it needs to be utilised specifically for the Autopilot computer. The simplicity (laughing) of the way they described the deployment of PyTorch across these nodes – you could basically use it for any kind of machine learning problem. Especially one that requires scale.
  • Finally the third reason all of this was amazing is that the neural network architecture and data engine pipeline is applicable to much more than just roads and driving. It can be used in the home, in the factory, and by robots of basically any form, as long as it has cameras and actuators, including, yes, the humanoid form.
As someone who loves robotics, the presentation of a humanoid Tesla Bot was truly exciting. Of course, for me personally, the lifelong dream has been to build the mind, the robot, that becomes a friend and companion to humans, not just a servant that performs boring and dangerous tasks. But to me these two problems should, and I think, will be solved in parallel.

The Tesla Bot, if successful, just might solve the latter problem, of perception and movement and object manipulation. And I hope to play a small part in solving the former problem, of human-robot interaction, and yes, friendship. I’m not going to mention love when talking about robots. Either way, all this to me paints an exciting future. Thanks for watching. Hope to see you next time.
Thanks - nice to see that in writing.
One thing I struggle with is this:
"Third is using video context to model not just vector-space, but time. At each frame, concatenating positional encodings, multi-cam features, and ego kinematics, using a pretty cool spatial recurring neural network architecture, that forms a 2-d grid around the car where each cell of the grid is a RNN (recurring neural network)."
I don't understand precisely why Lex thinks these positional encodings are a big deal.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Anyone hear of the Z score?. Lars makes a strong argument about the demise of legacy automakers. Their DEBT alone is crazy high. Even VW looks pathetic and enormous debt(diesel gate didn't help their balance sheet) Is karma coming back to them?

This has been covered many times on this forum: Most of legacy automaker debt is from their finance divisions which take on debt which is matched to loans to customers buying their cars. Finance divisions business model is based on borrowing money and lending it to customers to buy cars, so the debt level increasing in that division is actually good for the company as it means they are selling more cars. If you see debt level falling in legacy automakers finance divisions - that would actually be a very bad sign for them.

eg Fords debt is mostly in ”Ford credit” which is its finance arm:

1629924151526.jpeg

Last edited:
This has been covered many times on this forum: Most of legacy automaker debt is from there own finance divisions which take on debt which is matched to loans to customers buying their cars.

Though it needs to be called out that the collateral against Ford's finance loans/leases are ICE vehicles, which if the value of ICE vehicles dropped significantly and quickly thanks to EV's reaching an inflection point, it could wreak havoc on Ford's finance/credit division and make a lot of the collateral on this debt non-existent.

Ford doesn't have to worry about that right now due to the supply shortage of vehicles in general. But once the new ev tax credit passes, it could create that inflection point and Ford doesn't have the ability to scale up EV production to offset the devaluing of their ICE vehicles. It could easily snowball into a situation where Ford is insolvent within a 2-4 quarter span.

Last edited:
So there's a pretty steep risk factor people need to overcome when going with startups so therefore I think most of them will fail and Legacy can afford to have many F ups when they have the government in their back pockets and ICE to generate cash flow.

Cash flow from ICE sales is pretty tenuous, especially when prices must be kept low to encourage continuing sales of yesterdays technology and sales are shrinking. Profit is extremely sensitive to volume, the OEMs are in a more tenuous position than many realize. Even EV subsidies are of limited use if you fail to ramp EV's to high volume. And if they do manage to ramp EV's to high volume through some unknown miracle, the shrinking ICE sales will be a financial anchor.

ICE sales are not automatically profitable, they are currently profitable because they are the status quo and sell in high volume and at high prices.