Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a week could we maybe skip all the bot talk and put that into its own thread. It's 10-20 years away at best. At best. Has literally no impact on any rational economic discussion of Tesla.

Interesting topics: Can Tesla scale Berlin, will Tesla be able to sell cars competitively in China? Will Chinese EVs flood US as they are EU? How is the battery line scaling? Where is the battery capacity coming from next year? What will Tesla do with its cash?- this is a huge question and the one thing Tesla has now is a CFO that is not an idiot so he's got to be staring at some projections seeing cash just swell come 2022. What's the point?

People praise Apple for economic performance but they have not found anything to do with cash and that's troubling.
Interesting topics: Meh and basically already been talked to death.

Can Tesla scale Berlin: Is that even a serious question?!
Will Tesla be able to sell cars competitively in China? Huh?! What do you think they’ve been doing?
Will Chinese EVs flood US as they are EU? Who cares? The more EVs the better from whomever and wherever.
How is the battery line scaling? Slower than Tesla wants. Faster than everyone else.
Where is the battery capacity coming from next year? Everywhere.
What will Tesla do with its cash?- this is a huge question and the one thing Tesla has now is a CFO that is not an idiot so he's got to be staring at some projections seeing cash just swell come 2022. What's the point? Please. It’s like you’re new or something. 1) Pay off debt, 2) Build more factories, 3) Expand current businesses, develop new businesses like TeslaBots and whatever else Elon has in his head, 4) Buy/merge with other companies, 5) philanthropic deeds helping disadvantaged places/places devastated by climate change or whatever become sustainable, 6) Become ‘the’ world economy

Better questions please.

The cash question is the one I want answered the most. It is ballooning and all we've really seen is really a bitcoin buy and some debt being paid off incrementally (I expect we see this accelerate over the next 6 months). I'd like to see another factory announced and Tesla address how they are going to keep up with the obvious demand. I think right now, there is a very clear path to 2m production, but above that gets progressively foggy. The 4-5-6m per year numbers will almost assuredly need another 2-3 factories and with even with the warp speed of Tesla, they are taking 18 months outside of China. If we think ~800-900k in 2021 and ~1.6m in 2022. To hit the growth to ~2.4-2.5m in 2023 requires more investment in current factories or new ones... probably a bit of both really. 2024 above 3.6-3.7m will almost certainly need another factory or two to hit the 50% a year target. Realistically, those factories need announced by mid 2022 at the latest

The cash question is the one I want answered the most. It is ballooning and all we've really seen is really a bitcoin buy and some debt being paid off incrementally (I expect we see this accelerate over the next 6 months). I'd like to see another factory announced and Tesla address how they are going to keep up with the obvious demand. I think right now, there is a very clear path to 2m production, but above that gets progressively foggy. The 4-5-6m per year numbers will almost assuredly need another 2-3 factories and with even with the warp speed of Tesla, they are taking 18 months outside of China. If we think ~800-900k in 2021 and ~1.6m in 2022. To hit the growth to ~2.4-2.5m in 2023 requires more investment in current factories or new ones... probably a bit of both really. 2024 above 3.6-3.7m will almost certainly need another factory or two to hit the 50% a year target. Realistically, those factories need announced by mid 2022 at the latest
Don't underestimate Austin. They can squeeze 10m/yr out of that pile of dirt. Plus another 10m/yr bots.

Shelling peas.

A bit on factories: staffing seems to be the toughest problem at Sparks / Giga Nevada. In a few years, perhaps Tesla will have the humanoid robot working well enough for some staff augmentation at that factory. That may lead to more growth and expansion there in the future.

Given other recent events, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla announce an upcoming India factory, also.

Last edited:

Does anyone know how to contact Tesla and let them know what they have to do? 😂

/S

Last edited:
Doing my part for Q3:

1629907143208.png

^^

I love Sandy Munro in rant mode. Very uplifting viewing as a TSLA shareholder.

Well said on Sandy's part, echoes my sentiments precisely. As an American who wants our country to innovate and lead it frustrates me to see elements of our own government working against American innovation in the name of cronyism. Let the free market do it's thing already, no matter how many political donors get hurt along the way.

Don't underestimate Austin. They can squeeze 10m/yr out of that pile of dirt. Plus another 10m/yr bots.

Shelling peas.
I agree. I think Tesla is waiting on the next factory announcements until they are very confident on the battery situation. IF everything that was announced on battery day comes true AND casting is as good as it sounds then they do not need more property. They will shrink the car making processes down immensely and build at least 5 times more vehicles in the same space.

What to do with the cash? Well I really hate saying this because I was in the opposite mind set before but.... they may have to start paying a dividend. If they can not spend the money fast enough there comes a point where investors will start expecting it.