Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One concern I have is seeing things like this. These are basically new vehicles that are being sold heavily discounted. Some with no miles. Now, I understand they are our highest margin vehicles, but it isnt helping me sleep at night. One bit of good news, is I have yet to see heavily discounted Model X's become available. View attachment 387866 View attachment 387867
How can you find inventory Model 3 cars? I'm not able to find any one the tesla.com site.

How can you find inventory Model 3 cars? I'm not able to find any one the tesla.com site.

I'm not certain how the admins of the facebook group do it. I know that advisers at Tesla locations are able. Perhaps they work for Tesla or know people that are.

Edit: Also, these Model S inventory cars are not able to be found (by me) on Tesla's website as well.

The more I read these briefs I remain convinced that Musk’s lawyer should’ve never corrected the original tweet with the “I meant production run rate” defense.

Better defense was always that it was an aspirational/“look how far we’ve come” statement (which following the thread, it was) and not something Musk considered material since he has said they might do 500k on the call.

Elon stated 2019 Model 3 production would be 350 - 500,000 on the Q1 earnings call. The SEC bizarrely claims he didn’t say it, but the transcript and actual recording are out there for anyone to read/hear.
In footnote 6, the SEC actually does acknowledge Elon's "350,000-500,000 model 3s, something like that this year" remark on the earnings call. (Addressing the central point in a footnote, really?) The footnote makes the tenuous argument that this remark is not a production forecast, because the statement was "cryptic" and "murky" and "inconsistent with Tesla's official guidance".

I am dumbstruck by the legal brilliance of making an inconvenient fact go away by labeling it "cryptic" and "murky". /s

Agree. The best revenge is served cold.

Elon, if you hear us, please take a temporary loss to win the war. Just lay low on communication aspect (Tesla or non-Tesla). You have an army of supporters who have invested their lives’ worth (a little dramatic but true is some cases). You don’t need to be vocal to get your message across.

(Anyone who can pass this on to Elon !! )

Totally wrong approach. The SEC are the attack dogs of some much bigger forces that will not lay down and quit.

If Elon can't go on a webcast with supportive investors and fund managers and speak plainly, then the USA isn't worth saving.

And NOBODY is complaining about the SEC silently dropping their investigation of Exxon-Mobile for lying to their own shareholders about their undisclosed knowledge of the risks of climate change.

Or maybe that's why Exxon shut up about it huh? Faak the SEC.

Exxon Mobil Accounting Probe by SEC Ends With No Action -- Bloomberg

Aug 3, 2018 - ...valuation of its reserves and public disclosures about climate change... The Trump administration dropped a two-year-old accounting probe into Exxon Mobil Corp. ... failed to alert investors about potential climate-change risks for a company ...​

Last edited:
This really sucks. I hate the SEC for not only not protecting my interests as a shareholder of TSLA but actually attacking them. But I hate Elon’s goddamn cavalier attitude about the whole thing just as much.

F*#k this twitter crap. All this wasted energy on nonsense. Opening the door for the most relentless FUD yet.

Can we focus on electrifying the global fleet please? Elon, put your damn phone away and go find a solid state battery or something.
I rather like his refusal to "play ball" or be cowed by bullying tactics.

I am dumbstruck by the legal brilliance of making an inconvenient fact go away by labeling it "cryptic" and "murky"

It’s worked to make climate change “go away” for 30 years, despite there being nothing cryptic or murky about the Keeling Curve.

If 15 yr old Greta Thunberg can read the curve, you might think an Environment Mininister, somewhere, might be able.

Edit: point being, playing dumb is an age old strategy.

Last edited:
From the letter: (refs removed, outlining added for readability)
  • The Reply included, for example, 61 pages in new exhibits and new allegations regarding the Tesla Senior Executives Communications Policy
    • "It is improper in this district and this circuit to introduce new arguments in reply"
    • "A party may not attempt to cure deficiencies in its moving papers by including new evidence in its reply to opposition papers"

Sounds like the SEC is trying to move the goalposts here. Maybe they are colluding with the shorts after all. ;)

That strategy works better on Twitter than it will in a court of law.

I think we’ve been through this a dozen times 500 posts back. I still get pissy talking about it even though it has less than 1% or happening.
Don’t worry, be happy. FUD & SEC matters are temporary speedbumps along the way & Elon won’t be deterred & neither should we as partners in Tesla because the dreadnaught juggernaut is required to systematically crush non-adaptive ICE makers & help fund colonization of other celestial bodies in the solar system for the betterment & preservation of humanity. New video of Elon chatting it up prior to the Crew Dragon launch a few weeks ago with NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine and astronauts about where things were in 2001 and where they are now. Eighteen years hence in 2037 we’ll be reminiscing & reading books about how exciting these days were when things seemed to hang in the balance

SEC Stunned That Musk Failed to Get Pre-Approval of Tweets

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission said it’s “stunning” that Elon Musk didn’t seek pre-approval of any of his tweets about Tesla Inc. in the months since he was ordered by a judge to do so.

I don't see how Michael Bloomberg can claim to be making climate change his top priority when his website blasts headlines like this.
It's like he is actually abetting in attacking Elon Musk in the court of public opinion.

TSLA stock is going to remain volatile until this is resolved. The market doesn't like uncertainty.

Last edited:
Nafnlaus on Twitter

Comedy from @SEC_Enforcement - the following tweets from @elonmusk are given as examples of "written communications that contain, or reasonably could contain, information material to the company or its shareholders"

D1-wIyYXQAIGDsd.png

D1-wOW4XQAUBYzP.png

D1-wX72XQAAh1Ed.png

D1-xYEfXQAAeIGB.png
Karen I havent read it yet but if these are examples on noncompliance this is the most puerile attempt I have ever seen and i take back my feeling that a government agency is due deference from the courts.

There was some good analysis by TNEvol basically allowing for this saving face argument where neither Elon or the SEC win. Here's the relevant quote. If you click back on that post, you can follow the whole chain of discussion. This is the relevant quote that I thought was insightful:
I still feel the same way and it looks like the SEC may be grasping at straws but they apparently have not established a factual dispute so this is a matter of interpretation of the facts. I expect no evidentiary hearing but an oral argument where counsel presents each side's I interpretation of the agreement and the facts. I like EM's argument right now
Edit I see EM has asked to submit more on the negotiations. I think it is likely that this will be approved. However it still looks to me like the facts are not in dispute and the issues will revolve around the meaning of the agreement and whether it (absurdly) limits tweets on Tesla completely. This appears to be a desperate position by the SEC.

Last edited:
From the settlement agreement:

“Defendant undertakes to comply with all mandatory procedures implemented by Tesla, Inc. (the “Company”) regarding (i) the oversight of communications relating to the Company made in any format, including, but not limited to, posts on social media (e.g., Twitter), the Company’s website (e.g., the Company’s blog), press releases, and investor calls, and (ii) the pre-approval of any such written communications that contain, or reasonably could contain, information material to the Company or its shareholders;”

The requirement for oversight isn't limited to just tweets, but all forms of communications. This would include verbal.

Now the SEC is saying it isn't up to Musk to decide what constitutes material information. This would mean Musk would have to seek guidance from the oversight committee every time he even wants to speak about Tesla with anyone in any way, to determine if his comments are material to Tesla and shareholders. There's no way the judge will agree with this interpretation.

You can’t really but the inventory levels are very low. I just went through this with a fiend last week. He was looking for an inventory car and they could find two (more or less, but not exact of what he wanted) in California (you need to call and ask), both of which were sold in 24 hours.

Both Model 3, built last year and with miles.