Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even harder with the wash sale rule. If you want to be taxed at long term cap gains, you cannot trade for 30 days(before and after) ...
Wash sale is only for losses. Selling to realize gains has no wash sale effects.

Edit: To be clear, the wash sale rules are: if you realize a loss you cannot rebuy that asset or something similar for 30 days or you cant deduct that loss on your taxes.

OT
ibkr released their IMPACT app today (there’s also a dashboard in the regular movie version of tws)

the gist of it is it rates the portfolio based upon values of the companies you invest in. clean air, clean water, etc etc, basically ESG scores

my acct is mainly tesla and it’s a B. before you laugh…i remember looking at ESG scores for TSLA (it wasn’t ib, maybe bloomberg or some other site)
a year or two ago and they got a 3 out of 5 🙄

im not sure where IB is sourcing the scores (i’m sure it’s outsourced and they’re not rating themselves), but a B is better than 60% (3 of 5) and is in the right direction!

still work to be done, but an interesting way to look at your portfolio.

Joe sold some TSLA in his taxable account to partially fund the future purchase of a SF Pensinula (Not-Totally-A-Shack) house.

After selling his IRA portions in January, he still has 1k shares in TSLA, total worth has ballooned up a digit now starting with a 4. Unbelievable return!

And on any dips, now he will likely buy back in his IRAs.

Wash sale is only for losses. Selling to realize gains has no wash sale effects.

Edit: To be clear, the wash sale rules are: if you realize a loss you cannot rebuy that asset or something similar for 30 days or you cant deduct that loss on your taxes.
my bad. + excellent
Over thinking how to handle losses in my sold CC's too much :( & manage verticals.
I have deep ITM Calls that will be 1 year out 11/12 - need to decide excercise, sell or roll :) along with the CC's

+ new problems, 1&1/2 yrs ago account value was just 20K :)

Last edited:

Purchases 30 days before or after count, and the loss gets tracked in your basis for later (just don't have a loss in a taxable account and buy in a tax deferred )

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and elasalle
Google had one of those crap your pants AH glitches a few minutes ago

pants.png

There are still Founder Series available and there are only 1,000 possible (today anyway).
Interesting, these will be rare for sure, yet nobody knows the difference yet and it's 50K more due in full? Wow, outside my scope I think, but will these go up in value you think? I'm looking for a hedge, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: lafrisbee