Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shortzes starting to smell a trap? Elon's tacks brake at stake? :p

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
16,343.00 -8.75 (-0.05%)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Nov 08, 2021 05:30 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$1156.23 -65.86 (-5.39%)
Pre-Market Volume639,685
Pre-Market High$1163.9 (05:10:21 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1130.5 (04:24:08 AM)
Plot twist: Close today green? 🤔

I was expecting -5% for the day.
The fact it is -5% is compatible with my expectations. I wonder at what low it will trigger buy orders and stock to rally back. First phase, wallstreet sells on uncertainty.
Second phase, Elon sells 0.5% of his stock daily.
Third phase, recovery.

My covered calls I sold at 1325 for 26/11 seems to get safer and safer thanks to Elon for helping greatly

Further, the Uptick Rule would kick in today if the SP breeched $1,099.88 (just 12 pennies below the Put wall). After that point, no more offers allowed in the Order Book below the latest National Clearing Price. (TL;dr "shortzes hand-cuffed").
Not handcuffed, just limited.
With Uptick active, shorting cannot be used to burn to through the bid book (driving the stock down). However, they can continually short at one cent over the highest bid that preventing (or at least slowing) any natural stock rise (uber capping).
There is also nothing that prevents them from buying shares gradually and then dumping them to drive the price down.

Hands constrained; feet, mouth, head still in play.

Edge Lord.

Something people say when making fun of someone who is trying to be edgy.

I need to sell some shares by close on Tuesday. First time selling shares. I need the funds to close on a house and get out of renting. Should have sold on Friday but I thought Friday's close looked positive for Monday. Wish I could hold through the dip but I've got a hard deadline.
Recommend you DELAY your closing.

Set up a margin account so as to borrow against your assets, as your TSLA assets will be worth much, much more in the months and years ahead.

Selling TSLA shares is an especially imprudent move at the moment. Frankly, you should instead be buying them during this sudden "Sale!" . . . .

For the record I've set up a buy order at 1085. Not expecting it to fill but if it does, I'll be happy with my new shares and if it doesn't, I'll be happy for my old shares.
Tough for TSLA to go below 1100 today due to rules that keep MM's from naked shorting into a heavy downswing.

Premarket is also moving up from 114x to now 117x. The macros and some good news might just overpower an Elon tweet.

Beware! confirmation bias feels good!

people experience genuine pleasure—a rush of dopamine—when processing information that supports their beliefs.”. Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds
Personally, my fear of that is one reason I continue to examine downside risks for every security I buy. Luckily I have not yet repeated my egregious errors of the 1960's. Just paying attention has helped avoid most of the crises and helped me to benefit from some of the 1973 and 2008 events. It is astonishing to me that it is so hard to be rational about things that evoke such positive images personally.

By far the hardest one for me has been TSLA, for six reasons: 1. high volatility; 2. key person dependency; 3. technology evolution; 4. raw materials sourcing risks; 5. Regulatory impediments; 6. Logistics/supplier issues.
Most of my analysis time is devoted to those six issues.
One key item that is NOT an issue is financial instability. The reasons for that exclusion are ones regularly pointed out by several people here. Simply, TSLA generates free cash flow in increasing levels every year. The chief reason is that Tesla has the shortest supplier delivery to cash received cycle I have ever heard of for an industrial company. The business model effectively eliminates finished goods inventory in typical industrial practice. No dealers and no speculative products builds allows finished goods to cash cycle to be typically less than two weeks, so global Days-on-hand keeps diminishing. This chart shows just how important that is to financial health, while giving the major clue to how Tesla manages to grow at ~50% pa and still have positive Free Cash Flow.
tesla-inventory-to-current-asset-ratio.jpg

Although not one of my six items my singular principle metric of merit is Free Cash Flow, and the fastest way to observe that is a trifle indirect, inventory % of current assets. So, why use an indirect measure when direct lines are available? Simple, the inventory % of current assets is essentially predictive fo continuing cash flow generation cycle. Long before one can see financial reports showing weaker cash flow the reporting of inventory and current assets tends to be available. The direct measures all must employ sources and uses of funds with careful assessment of financing activities.

2022 is, in my opinion, the year that will test Tesla more than any other. The scale increases will be beyond anything we have seen before, with massive growth in every element form Shanghai, Grüneheide, Austin, Sparks and Fremont to all the myriad suppliers for each and the factories from Buffalo and Markham teeter also.
Thus among the six categories 2022 will test logistics in ways that have never been faced by Tesla. That, and the world logistics challenges, combine to make item six fundamental to risk assessment next year.

Thus our fondest hopes are facing unprecedented challenges now. Careful risk evaluation is essential to be a prudent bull.

What do you guys think about Kimbal Musk's action as he managed to sell shares last friday? Seems every time he managed to sell at the top and correction started since then.
Kimbal's share sales a pre-arranged well in advance and relatively minor in the scheme of things, so I wouldn't be drawing too many parallels to market action.