Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nasdaq 100 Dec 21 (NQ=F)​

CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
16,048.00 +25.25 (+0.16%)
As of 5:30 AM EST. Market open.

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Nov 12, 2021 05:30 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$1,064.73 +1.22 (+0.11%)
Pre-Market Volume48,272
Pre-Market High$1,071.06 (04:05:05 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1,058.66 (04:11:35 AM)

Last edited:
In reality, in the states that foreign auto companies have factories in, the law is structured in such a way to make unionization inherently less valuable to employees. Ford and GM plants in the US are mostly in Ohio and Michigan as far as I know, which are more union-friendly states.
I grew up in a right to work state, Tennessee and now live in Texas - Tesla’s home state.

My understanding of “right to work” is that unions cannot force you to be a member or pay dues. In other words, unions cannot force payment in return for access to employment.

It seems like Tesla workers in Texas would want a union because they would see the benefits of having a union at the negotiating table advocating higher wages without extracting another layer of taxation. Short term financial benefit.

I could have this wrong, but I think most Tesla workers [outside the rust belt] think unions caused the rust belt and would prefer to work for a company that has a long term future.

Reactions: Nocturnal
May not even be a real situation but tslaq trying to bring down share price as Elon is selling.

Indeed, unlikely to be a genuine complaint. Of 200-odd reports filed on that website, over 80% of them were proven to be false. Faked VINs, Owners who did NOT file the report as claimed, and other general mischief.

At this point, the burden of proof is on the NHTSA, not the other way around. It boggles the mind why they thought it would be a good idea to make these web reports publics before even the most basic of vetting.

And the rubes here want to "give the benefit of the doubt". That's misdirected fairness. It should be guided by evidence, not emotion.

Bigger picture from a super bull; this is the most important news since ER (apart from Elon selling and Shanghai blowing the roof off):
FSD has been a solved problem for sometime imo. There was a remaining risk (pixel clarity on side cameras) that this video has reduced to close to zero. All other issues are just turning the development handle.
Robotaxi is going to happen in next 18 months - probably less than 12.
No way. False forward crash warnings, Come To Me like a Roomba, simple fore and aft key fob summon stops and restarts... FSD Beta videos showing dodgy turns, city street navigation that has taken me on scenic detours multiple times... all I know is what I see with my own eyes; FSD one day, but probably not for about a decade till it's good enough for robotaxi. Yeah, I get about the neural net and Dojo and all... but still, not in 18 months. We shouldn't be fanning the fires of absurd FSD expectations. Hope I'm wrong!

This is a great video and very encouraging, but we're still very far from the continuous flawless FSD and navigation needed for Robotaxi. Disagree away, but we'll see how this ages.

Edit - I'm surprised to see more up- than down-votes. I think I'm just being realistic, and don't want our credibility damaged with outlandishly short timelines. And I've been bothered by the slight overexuberance; I'm fine with a realistic longer timeline for this unprecedented, amazing feat of Elon. My portfolio is rising nicely as-is; FSD will get here.

Last edited:
Link broken?
Link is fine, @Artful Dodger 's privacy settings are too high for you to view.
SmartSelect_20211112-062802_Firefox.jpg

Elon sold some more shares yesterday:

SEC FORM 4

SEC FORM 4
Huh, ir.tesla.com must have this mistagged as they don't show up under the form 4 filter currently.
639,737 shares sold
FWIW, Monday's option exercise shares are now held by Elon's revocable trust:
SmartSelect_20211112-065936_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20211112-071050_Firefox.jpg

Edit: rather than mathing, I could have just read the footnotes:
SmartSelect_20211112-074522_Firefox.jpg

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211112-070030_Firefox.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211112-070030_Firefox.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Did people do the math on why Elon is selling core shares vs newly obtained shares from options with the highest cost basis? Does it matter? I know Rob was perplexed about it.
I did up thread.
If he will eventually sell and if the capital gains tax rate will increase in the future, Elon is better off taking cap gains now with the lower rate and resetting the basis on his shares to reduce the amount the higher tax rate applies to.

More tax now, less tax overall (ignoring inflationary effects).

If the rate stays constant, it washes out in the end.

I did up thread.
If he will eventually sell and if the capital gains tax rate will increase in the future, Elon is better off taking cap gains now with the lower rate and resetting the basis on his shares to reduce the amount the higher tax rate applies to.

Correct. No one can say for sure if the capital gains tax in the future will be higher than it is today and IF there is a all Democrat congress in the future that actually has a comfortable margin, I would expect the capital gains tax to be raised. So it’s smarter to sell shares with the lowest cost basis today

I did up thread.

This and that he is likely selling 10% of existing position AND selling to cover taxes in his new shares.

So we know Elon planned to sell a chunk of shares (exercise options, then sell...whatever he technically did) a couple of months ago, so what was the point of his poll on Twitter aside from gauging public sentiment about what he should do with his shares? Tipping off that he was about to sell some shares, so his informal poll suggesting he might sell would blunt the news of the regulatory filings where people are "surprised" Elon sold off millions of shares of Tesla, where a lot more downward pressure on the stock price may have occurred?

And does any of this run afoul of his agreement with the SEC? I honestly don't care too much either way, but I just want to understand the logic in what he's done lately.

• Disagree
Reactions: mars_or_bust