Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don‘t know about all EVs, but Tesla vehicles certainly use a crap ton of semiconductors. Just one example: Tesla has no fuses. None. Those little 12V single use fuses that all other cars have in abundance just aren’t there in a Tesla. Instead they have circuit boards that monitor current on all circuits using a microcontroller. If the current curve gets too wonky, the microcontroller cuts power to that circuit. No blown fuses, and can be reset by a technician. Look at YouTube videos by Ingineerix (https://www.youtube.com/c/Ingineerix) for info.

Since a lot of people seem to like my explanation of Tesla's "circuit board fuse" set up, here is the video Ingineerix put together which explains it in quite some detail. I am blown away by the complexity of this circuit board to handle all the low and high voltage switching that Tesla does around the car.

My comments in context. I have lived in countries with absolute monarchy, with religious despots, with mercantilists.
None are desirable.
Tesla need competition to avoid complacency. I will do all I can to help that to happen because I am very long TSLA and want it to continue.
It will never happen if competition does not produce successes.
I will applaud efforts I think are worthy.
That excludes ones that are not. GM is a disgrace, and resembles Renault and other State controlled enterprises.
Ford retains some vestiges of free enterprise. I hope they succeed.
Icoudlgo on but that would be even more OT.
Tesla needs competition!
I can understand that from a human standpoint; how humans often become complacent.

There are individuals who compete with themselves, who purposely seek out challenges and don’t weigh themselves against others but against themselves.

I have concluded that Elon and many of those he attracts to work for him/with him possess that likeness; self-challenge, self-ambition, self-driven, self-never happy to sit back and let things pass by. Therefore, I don’t worry about Tesla and the other Elon ventures becoming ‘too big for their britches’ unlike I would practically with every other company/person in the world.

Another thumbs up for Ingineerix (again)

Phil?, he's been just incredible in terms of his knowledge and ability to explain how things work. I've been watching his videos since 2018.

Now, after watching ALL of those, I am able to fully appreciate Tesla's ingenuity. Some of the videos are very complex but all just show how much lead Tesla has over the 'competition'

Munro is a fine guy and has much of my respect, but in terms of technicalities they are not even close.

I can understand that from a human standpoint; how humans often become complacent.

There are individuals who compete with themselves, who purposely seek out challenges and don’t weigh themselves against others but against themselves.

I have concluded that Elon and many of those he attracts to work for him/with him possess that likeness; self-challenge, self-ambition, self-driven, self-never happy to sit back and let things pass by. Therefore, I don’t worry about Tesla and the other Elon ventures becoming ‘too big for their britches’ unlike I would practically with every other company/person in the world.
I want very much to agree with you. What person ever has avoided eventual hubris when presented with continuing success?
The question appears to be when rather than if, does it not?

This will get political fast - not interested in 10 day suspension, so I will limit my comments to what impact I think this will have on Tesla. Short-term - none. If/when this becomes actual policy, then Tesla will likely implement this in the most effective way possible. Personally, I understand the motivation behind this and support it. This runs a little OT, but will explain the “why” of my position. To protect one of our kids (and others) we personally installed the current clunky technology on a car with an agreement signed by our son, that was legally enforceable allowing us to repossess the car in the event of violations or tampering. Happily he is now sober and on solid footing. Equally fortunate no one was injured from his multiple crashes due to not being sober prior to such a unit being on the car.

I suggest the majority of other discussion go to what I presume is another thread in the OT section.
Not sure if this is the direction the law is taking but I would think you could tell from driver monitoring if you were drunk or tired w/o needing BO. % of time in correct lane, % over/under correction, driving under/over limit.

Reactions: Skipdd and Khamul
Another thumbs up for Ingineerix (again)

Phil?, he's been just incredible in terms of his knowledge and ability to explain how things work. I've been watching his videos since 2018.

Now, after watching ALL of those, I am able to fully appreciate Tesla's ingenuity. Some of the videos are very complex but all just show how much lead Tesla has over the 'competition'

Munro is a fine guy and has much of my respect, but in terms of technicalities they are not even close.
I believe the Munro team saves the best stuff for the reports and consulting they sell.

I'm willing to bet that their $80k books of data and analysis go way beyond what they show and tell in the YouTube videos.

My comments in context. I have lived in countries with absolute monarchy, with religious despots, with mercantilists.
None are desirable.
Tesla need competition to avoid complacency. I will do all I can to help that to happen because I am very long TSLA and want it to continue.
It will never happen if competition does not produce successes.
I will applaud efforts I think are worthy.
That excludes ones that are not. GM is a disgrace, and resembles Renault and other State controlled enterprises.
Ford retains some vestiges of free enterprise. I hope they succeed.
Icoudlgo on but that would be even more OT.
Tesla needs competition!
When I first saw this I was wondering what kind of car it was (before I read the rest of the sentence). Icoudlgo (maybe a typo for Apple car iCloudGo :)

I had an Ex wife that was pretty good at sensing it.

But good question. I can't see mandatory breathalyzers, so AI is likely involved. Speech would be easiest I think, then driving behavior like weaving, or even eye movement would be my next best guess there (it's how cops evaluated on scene).

However, what tech will every company be able to produce reliably, I'm gonna go with a speech test. You must introduce yourself or read a random sentence on screen? There are issues there as well, so I honestly don't know.
I know a company that has this sorted with a tethered breathalyser and image recognition, smartphone based. Mainly marketed to employers of truck/bus drivers as well as liver transplant candidates !

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I want very much to agree with you. What person ever has avoided eventual hubris when presented with continuing success?

It just seems odd to wish only a limited amount of success because you don't think anyone could handle more than that.

I would present Genghis Khan as an example of someone who had outsized success from an early age right up until death. Yes, he was a warrior/leader, not a manufacturer, but I think the same principles apply.

A seat sensor triggering a simple algo query by the MCU to see if “gm” is the “leader” in terms of % shares held in your stock portfolio would suffice.
Whatever you meant by this faded when my simple mind went...
GM is the leader of vehicle electrification in the country of all Automobile Manufacturers in the USA that are unionized. And just like we here in the TMC-osphere, that group is insulated, even more so. Their lives and world are completely lived out in their own ant farms (good analogy). Our ant farm is TSLA stock city.

Reactions: growler23
At the moment TESLA has lots to prove and the "competition" is still ICE cars. China is definitely going to keep him on his toes after that, big style. But difficult to see how any legacy is fit for purpose and will have any significant role in keeping TESLA real.

Since a lot of people seem to like my explanation of Tesla's "circuit board fuse" set up, here is the video Ingineerix put together which explains it in quite some detail. I am blown away by the complexity of this circuit board to handle all the low and high voltage switching that Tesla does around the car.
haha, I posted about thirty minutes ago about how THIS youtuber is THE MAN. I even posted his youtube video about Tesla fuses...it got one vote. You got more for posting later....

OTOH Charles Kettering alone helped make the Ford model obsolescent. Ford ddi become complacent and grew on and on by being cheaper but eventually technological innovation beat Ford. That is precisely what we hope never coms to Tesla. Manufacturing progress is magnificent, but not sufficient. Will Tesla; continue with product innovation when they have a huge market share?

I think so, as I do with SapceX and Starlink. Those are not assured. Only competition will force continuing innovation.
I don't see that being an issue as long as Elon is around. However, after the founder leaves, sooner or later the bean-counters (making things slightly cheaper by making them slightly worse) and professional managers (mainly looking after their golden parachutes) always seem to take over and the company stagnates.

I believe the Munro team saves the best stuff for the reports and consulting they sell.

I'm willing to bet that their $80k books of data and analysis go way beyond what they show and tell in the YouTube videos.
Definitely,
But inginnerx gives it to US.
And in a much more polished and disciplined form. Sandy gets on my nerves when he does a video about what HE likes, "Oh I don't like to be told that." I want to see this." Why don't they give me what I want?" Oh I like this much better because I am old and this is where I want to look." Oh I like this.

and from a yahoo finance article
(in case you want as concrete proof as possible that the new EV players are benefitting from the mindset of "the next Tesla EV stock")

But billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya defended Rivian’s white-hot runup in his recent podcast, highlighting the company's well-engineered trucks and signed contract to sell 100,000 of them to Amazon.

The venture capitalist — often referred to as the SPAC King because of his big bets on blank-check acquisition companies — even said that Rivian’s critics remind him of the “Tesla-Q guys,” a group of crowd-sourced researchers who’ve (incorrectly) bet against Tesla in recent years.

Not sure if this is the direction the law is taking but I would think you could tell from driver monitoring if you were drunk or tired w/o needing BO. % of time in correct lane, % over/under correction, driving under/over limit.
That's good but insufficient. You still need something to measure it from the beginning. Lots of use cases. Person comes out of a restaurant, gets in their car inebriated and floors it forward into the street striking a car/person...

Reactions: Thumper