Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want very much to agree with you. What person ever has avoided eventual hubris when presented with continuing success?
The question appears to be when rather than if, does it not?
Not for the type of person I described, which I believe Elon to be and many of those at his companies.

Firstly, such a person doesn’t continuously succeed. By the very nature of their endless self-challenge, they’re met with a lot of failures or only partial successes. When they wholly succeed, they just go pick a bigger, harder challenge. There is no ‘end’, there is instead a constant journey of learning and pushing themselves. The competition comes from within.

It is quite fascinating and just so everyone knows...it is all done in house. ALL of it. Every last piece of the boards in Tesla vehicles are spec'd, laid out and fully designed (read the job description to get of an idea of what is done to create a board). Nothing outsourced, except for actual production on a fab line, just like the custom ASICs for AP/FSD. The PCB folks I worked with were hands down the best.

And looks like SpaceX is following suit: SpaceX hiring PCB Designer in Redmond, Washington, United States | LinkedIn
Since a lot of people seem to like my explanation of Tesla's "circuit board fuse" set up, here is the video Ingineerix put together which explains it in quite some detail. I am blown away by the complexity of this circuit board to handle all the low and high voltage switching that Tesla does around the car.

The market averages were crushed today by growing concern about a Covid19 variant, and the Fed chairman appearing more concerned about inflation.

The entire auto sector was damaged substantially more than the averages, with the notable exception of TSLA closing in the green despite no significant Tesla news. This may bode quite well for TSLA in December. :)

I respectfully disagree. Your statement are mostly false. IT will go seriously OT to delve further into factual data. OTOH, you might actually want to try the 208 E-GT or an e-Ducato. then you might have basis to dismiss everything I have said.

I never said any of these were comparable with Tesla offerings.
European, US and Japanese car makers are going to face very strong competition from Chinese EVs.

It is surprising how good the software and tech in some of the cars is.

The variety of models including cars with a retro 1950s look, is surprising.

And odviously the pricing is great.

I predict increased tariffs will be needed to help protect the local industry.

In the end all survivors will be good at making EVs, becuase that is all they will do.

The market averages were crushed today by growing concern about a Covid19 variant, and the Fed chairman appearing more concerned about inflation.

The entire auto sector was damaged substantially more than the averages, with the notable exception of TSLA closing in the green despite no significant Tesla news. This may bode quite well for TSLA in December. :)

Regarding your first crush point, Tesla negates any negative effects to purchases of its EV products in various ways:
- People will long distance travel (out of country) less and likely travel for vacation within their own country more. Therefore less air travel, more car travel.
- People will chose to travel in their personal car for longer range trips even if it adds a few more hours to their trip, rather than take communal air or rail travel.
- People will chose to travel more in their personal car to/from work rather than take communal transit.
- Life perspective is changing, (YOLO, quitting or reducing work if able to pursue passions, interests and freedoms, it's not just about the money)
- optional touchless delivery of their EVs (Tesla specific)
- biohazzard cabin air filters in their EVs (Tesla specific)

Good thing Elon will have a few billions sitting around, just in case. 😁

Maybe Elon should consider diversification into some companies that would do well in a recession. Like EVs, Renewables, or become an Energy provider, or something along those lines. Then, those businesses might be able to help support SpaceX.

Who's gonna tell him? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Hopefully not too off topic but related to competition and margins. I wonder how Rivian is able to price the R1S starting at $70,000 compared to Tesla Model X that starts at $105,000. R1S has 35% bigger battery and two additional motors which along with lack of scale in manufacturing should make it more expensive?
Tesla has huge margins because they’ve jacked up the price to keep wait lists manageable.

I suspect that’s pretty much it.

What do you think Elon is going to announce in the product roadmap update?

I expect updates on Cybertruck, Semi and the Roadster,

Probably because the semi-conductor shortage is starting to unwind, and Tesla has a good handle on the progress of 4680 cell production.

Timelines might be further pushed back, but the new timelines will be fairly accurate.

New product announcements should slightly surprise me, but these could include:-
  • Home HVAC
  • LFP Megapacks
  • An improved version of the solar roof
  • A new compact model
  • A new van
I'm not expecting the announcements of new EVs until all existing vehicles are in production, something in the energy space would not be a surprise.

A few thoughts.

Bolt. Deliveries to retail customers began on May 17, 2017.

Model 3. Limited production of the Model 3 began in mid-2017, with the first production vehicle rolling off the assembly line on July 7, 2017.[12][13][14] The official launch and delivery of the first 30 cars took place on July 28.

May is before July. The fact that the Bolt is not currently being produced does not change these dates.

Mary led. It does not mean she won. Or even led wisely.

Tesla Merger.

Government has antitrust laws that is uses to take apart companies. If you put it together the government will decide how to take it apart. I struggle to see how exposure to this has any benefit.
First can be a short duration event of little consequence. Do you consider what GM did with the Bolt (or even the EV-1) first as consequential leadership?

Reactions: Mike Ambler