Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue: Apache Log4j, one of many frameworks developers use to get things done. In this case, Log4J is a framework that a lot of developers use to implement error logging in their application. And because of that, many enterprises have applications that use this framework, and are dependent on their suppliers supplying an update of this framework to close the vulnerability.

For those using Interactive Brokers ... TWS would be affected as it is using the log4j library. < 2.15.
Here are technical details on the issue: CVE-2021-44228 - GitHub Advisory Database and affected TWS files:

1639252272750.png

I hope IBKR releases fix soon. In the meantime it would be safer to use Web App.

For those liking to tinker, if the instructions for the fix are correct, then adding the line:

-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true

to text file tws.vmoptions should patch it for now.

Because I am extra paranoid. I have also downloaded version 2.15.0 of log4j and replaced 2 files log4j-api-2.12.0.jar, log4j-core-2.12.0.jar with 2.15 versions while keeping old .12 names.

Last edited:
Oh wait, are you all thinking the laser is in the blade and it sweeps the glass blasting like a jet printer?
That could explain the "wire" on the side as it might need some extra laser power not designed into the power distribution originally - but that's a leap maybe. Better than my first conclusion anyway.
Likely a washer tube with sprayers on the arm.

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
the rear wheels turn by rotating the yoke the the push/pull axis?
I thought the motors turned the wheels... :p but steering, maybe. However... a driver stretches and engages rear steering by accident? (Don't laugh, I use to have a friend that stretched and the steering wheel came off in his hands - but that was before he married my ex-wife.)

• Funny
Reactions: Maarten and Ipe
I’m wondering if they could do something with the yoke like this on Cybertruck… you turn the steering wheel like normal to turn the front wheels, then you turn on “crawl” mode or something, and the rear wheels turn by rotating the yoke the the push/pull axis? Thus giving you independent control of each set of wheels.
I've been thinking about something like this. The parking garage I use for work is already not very easy to turn into with my 3. If I could have power only go to the rear wheels and rotate until parallel to the entrance, that would make entry so easy.

But Tesla Vision can make things even easier. Since the car can sense its environment in space, imagine using the screen to draw a line that would indicate where you want the car to end up. For my example, I'd pull up to the parking garage entrance, choose to bring up the front cameras on the screen, draw a line indicating I wanted the car's end position to be such that it was directly entering the garage, then press the accelerator until it reached that position. All of the wheel control would then be done by the car, with input from me only going to the accelerator.

Plan A: 99% of 4 wheel steering is done invisibly by the computer and you don’t even know it’s happening. Just magically have better control. The rare occasion you have need of crab steering will take about 4 menu taps like most other stuff on the Tesla you don’t use every day.

Plan B: The passenger in the rear seat has a separate yoke, just like the big fire engines

Being able to independently control both of the steering axis would be the absolute t*ts for off-road… being able to seamlessly transition into crab walks and regular turns!

The potential you have with quad motors and quad steering is pretty amazing.

(I would also be curious how Omni-directional wheels would work on a Cybertruck too, just as a “what if” exercise.)

I've been thinking about something like this. The parking garage I use for work is already not very easy to turn into with my 3. If I could have power only go to the rear wheels and rotate until parallel to the entrance, that would make entry so easy.

But Tesla Vision can make things even easier. Since the car can sense its environment in space, imagine using the screen to draw a line that would indicate where you want the car to end up. For my example, I'd pull up to the parking garage entrance, choose to bring up the front cameras on the screen, draw a line indicating I wanted the car's end position to be such that it was directly entering the garage, then press the accelerator until it reached that position. All of the wheel control would then be done by the car, with input from me only going to the accelerator.

Tesla using cameras placed underneath the car using Tesla vision to recreate a 3d model of the terrain underneath would also be rad for off roading.

I thought the motors turned the wheels... :p but steering, maybe. However... a driver stretches and engages rear steering by accident? (Don't laugh, I use to have a friend that stretched and the steering wheel came off in his hands - but that was before he married my ex-wife.)

You would need to be stopped or going below a certain speed and put the car in a special mode to engage independent rear steering. Until you did so the second axis that controls the rear wheels would stay locked.

Im guessing above a certain speed or in certain sport modes the rear wheels stay locked.

(Note I’m not saying Tesla will do this, mostly just wondering out loud how four wheel steering and crab walking is going to work out in real life. Tesla has some real opportunities to do some unique things that other cars/trucks simply can’t )

Reactions: SOULPEDL
From last Monday's post in Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts:

* Reuters found a way to get "SEC probes Tesla" into the morning headlines. All they had to do is work with a fired employee who got into a beef with Tesla back in 2019 regarding how Tesla explained the need to work on a customer's rooftop. On Sept 24 of this year the ex-employee heard back from the SEC after a freedom of information inquiry for details and was basically told we're still looking at the situation. That's all that Reuters needed, this was an SEC investigation of Tesla! They held onto the story until it was just coincidentally released on the biggest FUD day of the year. Congratulations, Reuters, you have just been awarded Papafox's flaming dog poop award in journalism for this heroic effort.
My wife and I are not sophisticated investors like @Papafox and several, (or most), of you. We do, however, recognize FUD when we see it. Last Monday I had just read about the "SEC probe" story and I told my wife that it looked like the FUD of the week was going to be about solar panels catching fire. She said, "Isn't that old news?" Before I could answer she asked, "Is that about the fires on the roofs of WalMarts?" Then before I could answer that she asked, "Didn't they fix those problems?" I finally answered all three questions: "Yes, Yes, Yes."

I had started to post this little story last Tuesday after reading @Papafox's post, but I could not figure out how to quote just the one paragraph from that thread and put it in this thread. Thank you @danny for the Thread ‘TMC Website Tutorial’.

By the way, I was wrong about the FUD of the week. There was lots more FUD after that!

By the way, I was wrong about the FUD of the week. There was lots more FUD after that!
Even with the weekend, it hasn't stopped. I'm not going to link to what I'm talking about, but it's again about FSD "endangering" the public.

I'm still on beta 10.5, but I've tested in multiple cities and states. From my experience, it's more likely to "annoy" the public than endanger anyone, because of how cautious it is. 10.5 is hyperaware of vulnerable road users.

I personally don't include robotaxis in my valuation of Tesla, but from an investment perspective, I do still think about it a lot. I wonder just how much legal action by the govt can impede progress of FSD. My only conclusions are that it's almost impossible to predict what the govt will do, but if they do try to handicap FSD development, Tesla will still be able to have employees continue testing on the roads. This will slow progress, but not stop it.

About 10GB/day is being uploaded on average for public beta testers, with about 25GB/day the upper amount for those who choose to tag videos to be sent back to Tesla. AI day revealed that Tesla has 1000 labelers. Honestly, I'd be surprised to learn they're able to keep up with the Terabytes of data this implies (the "recall" let us know there are at least 12,000 beta testers as of a few weeks ago) they're being sent every day, even if they're discarding a large % of it.

My point is, being forced to pare back to closed beta, which I think it's the most damaging thing govt can do, still doesn't kill the program. Tesla will march along.

Just thought I'd put that argument out there for people who read the FSD fear mongering articles. They're not going to stop anytime soon.

Tesla should send out a good engineer to properly fix* Sawyer Merritt once and for all.
It is tiring that he keeps breaking every day over and over.
Or if he is such a lemon that is unfixable, then just send him to the scrapyard...

* so that he never breaks again
OT BREAKKING news: Sawyer’s jute bag clothing startup twinbirch.com postponed to 1H 2022! 😬😵‍💫🥴

Soy boi time is way worse than Elon time 😂

Does the 23.74M shares above represent all 10 tranches, or only the 9 that have vested so far? (the 10th can't vest before Aug 2022 due to its terms).

Elon could be creating an endowment for a new technical university. In that case, he could simply donate the shares to the endowment, then take the 33% Income tax benefit for the charitable donation.

If this is his plan, then the final 33% of shares would NOT be sold on the open market, but donated to the charity. This works out to 7,833,220 shares to donate, based on 23.74M shares (slightly less remain to donate if his vested shares are only 90% of the 23.74M you've listed).

I don't know what his intent is, but from a tax-efficiency perspective, this might be a good way to finish his sales. It'd be good for Education and later employment in Texas, too. ;)

Cheers!
only the 9, (i’m on my ipad don’t have spreadsheet there)
that is an amazingly sneaky idea also, a $8 billion endowment to start “TITS UP”. (rofl)😎❤️💎👐
plus the charitable tax deductions….

Last edited: