Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T
Yeah, sort of. It‘s money that belongs to my company.
Basically all my private assets are in TSLA.

I‘m just super annoyed by ARKs performance so far for me.

A very good question. About 50% of all my posessions are in TSLA, so… yeah, it could be hard.
I am LONG since 54 USD split-adjusted, so I can sustain quite some pain, but it‘s not always fun.

I personally believe we will be up 30% when Elon is done selling, and not go below that.

But what do I know…
The way I do it.
I sold 1 put contract of TSLA at $930 for 12/23. If it gets exercised, I sell the equivalent of ARKK, ARKW or ARKG to cover for that cost. I will repeat this until I am 100% TSLA

Doesn't ARK say they have at least a five year time horizon? I though a fundamental part of investing was to ride out the downturns, instead of panic selling. Is there now no hope that ARK 's strategy will work?

The days are getting very repetitive. Each morning when I see these pre-market plunges, I pull up my spreadsheet to decide where to pull in a few thousand pounds from in order to buy more $TSLA. Then transfer the money to my broker, set up an order limit, and wait for it to trigger. It's such a simple method for getting rich(er), a robot could do it.

Today's target? $920
Consider this copied and pasted please

T

The way I do it.
I sold 1 put contract of TSLA at $930 for 12/23. If it gets exercised, I sell the equivalent of ARKK, ARKW or ARKG to cover for that cost. I will repeat this until I am 100% TSLA
You could sell a Jan 930, get $75 and have a pretty nice entry at 855.. which is I think a good target overall. Or, keep the 75$ and play another round come Jan 2022

I think your bigger risk is in the next 5 trading days. Tomorrow for sure. I gotta say, when ppl are willing to pay ~+8.5% for an ATM PUT a month out from expiration, somethings gonna give hard and pretty soon. Selling into the close is well, I’ll have to look that one up in the book.

Last edited:
I think it is possible that Cathy Wood can be both:
1) very savvy about Tesla and their business
2) a poor fund manager

these two are not mutually exclusive. I think she got a lot of credit (deservedly so) for 1, but that doesn't translate into being a good fund manager.
Being a good fund manager means you have market beating results. Not in any given year, but over the long haul.

Ark Invest has a great track record. A couple of years ago when my ARK had doubled and everyone was hot to jump in, I cautioned that, in the long run, a fund like this can't really expect over 15% average annual returns. There are still a lot of people out there that don't seem to understand this. Another factor is, with most of their funds focused on specific themes (like robotics, genomics, electronic banking, etc.), it must be expected that the year-to-year performance will fluctuate considerably more than more broad-based market funds. Fluctuations are not bad; it only means these are investments best suited for long time horizons (or even traders who think they can capitalize on the "slow-wave" fluctuations). If Ark funds can average 15% appreciation over many years, the compounded results will be fantastic!

I'm constantly surprised by how short some investor's time-horizons appear to be!

Except, $TSLA stock performance has only a vague relation to its delivery numbers. I mean, it's not bad sales numbers or even Elon's selling that is causing this pullback, and Q results almost never cause a rally on the stock.

Quarterly results generally cause the stock to rally, it's just a delayed action as it takes time for the numbers to sink into people's thick skulls. 🤪 People need time to process what the numbers mean (in the longer term) because they are not accustomed to assigning multiples to a company with results and opportunities as good and as large as Tesla's.

If actual results didn't cause the stock to rally, we wouldn't be where we are today. We didn't get here on poor results brought about by poor execution.

Anyone follow RIVN enough to know if this is a beat or not?
- Net loss $1.23B - Adjusted loss $776M - Revenue $1M - Operations loss $776M - Adjusted ebitda loss $727M

The only important part of the Rivian earnings.....they'll be hundreds of vehicles short of their 1,200 goal for 2021. In fact they've only made roughly half of that - 652 vehicles.

Does that sound like a company that should have a 100 billion valuation? If you want that premium valuation you gotta have premium execution

- Net loss $1.23B - Adjusted loss $776M - Revenue $1M - Operations loss $776M - Adjusted ebitda loss $727M
Frankly, I don’t know if it’s a beat but if I were the CFO I would pretty much kitchen sink this quarter since everyone KNOWS there aren’t much if any revenues, profits, deliveries, etc and just make it all about future AMZN trucks and R1T deliveries and expect to have a more realistic rev/profit discussion in Q2’22.

ARK has to be judged on a longer timescale. They gained a lot of popularity just before and during the pandemic, but the truth is disruption needs to play out over a very long while and for a moment folks started thinking ARK was going to perform spectacularly over the short-term. I also think many HFs or large institutions were losing fund clients to them, and in retaliation went after some of their holdings (ARK’s transparency in this regard makes them susceptible to shenanigans in the short term IMHO). This was also timed with media pieces that attempted to highlight Cathie’s religiosity, a possible shortcoming in the eyes of the demographic most attracted to ARK.

Sizable miss, but those numbers are not really the important piece. Their cash on hand is substantial and their financials will look terrible until they start volume production... and on that... They are now guiding a miss on their production (not even deliveries) for the year. Was 1200 and will be a 'few hundred' short of that.