Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you say "even Elon's selling that is causing this pullback" I then don't know if I should take anything you say seriously 🙃 This entire sell off is Elon selling induced and how anyone could say otherwise is mindboggling.

But again, your post is looking at the past and fundamentally ignoring the dynamics at play right now.

TSLA stock performance didn't correlate to delivery numbers in the past because the scale wasn't enough to force the issue. Tesla could post great earnings, but the earnings were still too small on scale to make a difference. Tesla didn't even have a P/E in 2020 and the P/E of the stock was in the 1200's earlier this year.

Now though, Tesla's earnings are at a scale where they will force the issue. If you think Tesla's forward P/E will drop to anywhere close to 50 in 2022, then you're going to be amazingly wrong. You should also probably go back through all of Tesla's 2021 earnings and see the correlation of revenue growth to earnings growth and much Tesla increases earnings for every dollar of new revenue.

Even a 20-30k increase in deliveries quarter over quarter does wonders for Tesla's earnings and will continue to drive Tesla's P/E and Forward P/E down rapidly.
To touch on this just a bit more, I remember an interview with Kevin O'Leary a year or two ago where he said it was better for Tesla to not be profitable because then Tesla would have a earnings metric which it would be judged against. And there was some truth to that. Once Tesla got a P/E multiple, it was susceptible to being targeted, especially in situation just the macro environment today.

And if we all remember on Q4 2020's earnings, Tesla's margin dropped, both gross and operational and that's when Wall St pounced on the stock. I very much think that the goal for 2021 for Wall St was to drop the stock much farther than it actually fell. But Tesla's execution when it came to earnings in Q1, Q2, and Q3 prevented a much bigger sell off that I think Wall St was hoping for.

It really can't be stated how monumental Q2 earnings were. It was fundamental game changer that changed TSLA from being just a growth story to a earnings story as well.

We all process information differently, shaded by our personality, life situation, experiences etc. If I never questioned my decisions I'd be doing myself a diservice.
Interesting you think questioning and thus nurturing doubting in yourself is doing yourself a service.

I rarely question my choices/decisions once made. Thus I harbor next to zero doubt as I move forward. Never thought that could be construed as a disservice. 🤷 Always thought it was a positive to be so emphatically sure as I moved through life.

So, your next question is, ‘But what if you’re wrong?’ Not wrong enough times or to any significant degree to register.

‘But, it can’t always work out like you thought.’ That’s true. But a different end result doesn’t mean I was wrong to make that/those decisions/choices. It just means, detour. Sometimes the scenic route has wonderful surprises. I welcome the opportunity to travel the obscure road.

859cc0f9a2a6eca8a11f5af76936d249.jpg
I am not charging enough. She’s a quack.

Interesting you think questioning and thus nurturing doubting in yourself is doing yourself a service.

I rarely question my choices/decisions once made. Thus I harbor next to zero doubt as I move forward. Never thought that could be construed as a disservice. 🤷 Always thought it was a positive to be so emphatically sure as I moved through life.

So, your next question is, ‘But what if you’re wrong?’ Not wrong enough times or to any significant degree to register.

‘But, it can’t always work out like you thought.’ That’s true. But a different end result doesn’t mean I was wrong to make that/those decisions/choices. It just means, detour. Sometimes the scenic route has wonderful surprises. I welcome the opportunity to travel the obscure road.
I don't conflate myself with an investment. Doubting myself is different than reviewing the available information.

In my opinion this is very bad movement. China not a West plus if you start suing critics this will finish not well. From only 2 of them will be thousands. Sad.
Isnt this rather old and involved people that were trying to use public airways to manipulate Tesla with false accusations. I also believe they have come out and admitted thats what they were doing.

In my opinion this is very bad movement. China not a West plus if you start suing critics this will finish not well. From only 2 of them will be thousands. Sad. Tesla better create lobby and goin to China mass media and showing their view , discussion and support, but not suing customers.

Your first mistake was believing something you read on zerohedge. Your second mistake was promoting the false narrative of something you read on zerohedge.

zero cred.

Need some not-advice.
I have some money in ARKK and ARKI, bought early this year.
It lost me around 20%.

I think about selling it all immediately with this loss and putting it into TSLA.

What would you not advice to not do?
Why didn’t you have it all in tesla in the first place? Was it intentional diversification? If so then would putting it in tesla mean you admit you don’t care about that anymore? What if tesla drops 60% in a month, could you psychologically handle that if all your eggs are in one basket? These are questions only you can answer, whether it’s in ark or another stock or even another asset class like crypto.

I have enough spacex and tesla to retire many times over, and that nest egg allows me to put all my new money in very aggressive private startup investments and crypto plays.

Why didn’t you have it all in tesla in the first place? Was it intentional diversification?
Yeah, sort of. It‘s money that belongs to a non-operating company I own.
Basically all my private assets are in TSLA.

I‘m just super annoyed by ARKs performance so far for me.

What if tesla drops 60% in a month, could you psychologically handle that if all your eggs are in one basket?
A very good question. About 50% of all my posessions are in TSLA, so… yeah, it could be hard.
I am LONG since 54 USD split-adjusted, so I can sustain quite some pain, but it‘s not always fun.

I personally believe we will be up 30% when Elon is done selling, and not go below that.

But what do I know…

Last edited:
Need some not-advice.
I have some money in ARKK and ARKI, bought early this year.
It lost me around 20%.

I think about selling it all immediately with this loss and putting it into TSLA.

What would you not advice to not do?
If you can book the loss, I like to take advantage of things like that for sure. (Assuming you’re doing this in a taxable account) You’ve got to think of stocks losses, tax losses as ASSETS. With a fund sale, you can always buy some of the underlying.. and with KWood, you know EXACTLY what her positioning is - if you feel so compelled. Frankly, I’d book the loss, park the cash and get ready for a sub $900 TSLA. You can probably do better than ARKK in the short to medium term if you time it right.

In todays world, with SO MANY funds and ETF’s and other vehicles (no pun intended) one can move out book losses and move the $$ back in something extremely similar if not nearly the same and capitalize on that tax loss assets when there.

Last edited:
930 has been a strong support this week and thus far it's bending but not breaking. Let's hope Elon sold today.
A good analyst I read once likened support levels to a MATTRESS..not a board. Sometimes when only trading I DO feel like there is a mattress below me, a mattress on the ceiling and quite frankly padding on that walls around me - but I’m working it out. ;-)