Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told by someone who grew up in the Eastern block and spent time in the DDR that the Trabant, as awful as it was, had a multi-year waiting list to purchase. People buy what they can afford and what they can get.

I still see online a lot of hate for Tesla because people can't afford them.
People will say the same for the next decade as Tesla goes from 900k to 20M cars/year. What can Tesla do, the demand for them is so high… They can scale as fast as they can but as the extra value of the entire Tesla ecosystem(supercharger, fsd, robotaxi network, infotainment, octavalve, gigacasting, tesla insurance etc) is so high, people will pay premium for a Tesla over a Toyota so Tesla will have to charge a lot for their cars and people will complain.

Max pain was $950 as of Friday. I'm looking for some Elon selling and a MONDAY DIP!

I'll take a quick 4.5% drop to $1019 before a rapid reversal to close -1.5% Monday.
yeah, cool.

Which part of Philly are you from? We're all huge jerks (I'm a Philly native), which explains why you continue to wish for DIPs all throughout the years.

I gotta look up call spreads. No need to post a tutorial here - that’s not what this thread is for. But it seems to be something worth knowing about.

Edit: I take that back. If one owns the underlying stock, how does one do this effectively? Let’s assume I own 100 shares for simplicity’s sake.
Well, I wouldn't rush in and imagine Monday is your only chance to use options to generate gains. Lots of info here:

Pretty hard to give advice in a short form on a Sunday night. This stock will be volatile for awhile, which creates some arbitrage opportunities for those here who have a leg up in knowledge and information on Wall Street and the average RobinHood retail investor - most TMC investors.

Last edited:
This conversation has been derailed by people wanting to display their affection for Chinese made --anything. That's great, but the truth is the marketshare for Chinese made cell phone remains at 1% in the US and they are all pretty good. I have used many of them and find that they are even more responsive than the newest galaxy. But 1% still means there's 1 out of 100 people who celebrates their anniversary at a Chinese restaurant, embrace the Chinese culture, loves their Chinese made phone, and will buy a Chinese made car. I hear you..you can even be on this forum telling me how racist I am toward my people. But this is an investor thread and I am using what I know to make my predictions about the competitiveness of Chinese made cars disrupting the U.S. I put the chances at less than 5% and think Munro is wrong on this one.

---

Moderator: all (semi-)racist comments have been removed, and so have the useless posts on Chinese food.

Last edited by a moderator:
This conversation has been derailed by people wanting to display their affection for Chinese made --anything. That's great, but the truth is the marketshare for Chinese made cell phone remains at 1% in the US and they are all pretty good. I have used many of them and find that they are even more responsive than the newest galaxy. By 1% still means there's 1 out of 100 people who celebrates their anniversary at a Chinese restaurant, embrace the Chinese culture, loves their Chinese made phone, and will buy a Chinese made car. I hear you..you can even be on this forum telling me how racist I am toward my people. But this is an investor thread and I am using what I know to make my predictions about the competitiveness of Chinese made cars disrupting the U.S. I put the chances at less than 5% and think Munro is wrong on this one.
I see your point.....kinda. But as I think I saw mentioned up thread, just look at Korean cars in the US. They took no time at all to become popular, just needed quality at a sick price.

Chinese EVs will sell like crazy at the $25k price point in the US. Maybe after a year or two of release.

I see your point.....kinda. But as I think I saw mentioned up thread, just look at Korean cars in the US. They took no time at all to become popular, just needed quality at a sick price.

Chinese EVs will sell like crazy at the $25k price point in the US. Maybe after a year or two of release.
Chinese cellphones are quality at a sick price..and yet we hear crickets. Americans when it comes to Asian brands trust the Japanese and the Korean(even in cell phones).

Reactions: LightngMcQueen
This conversation has been derailed by people wanting to display their affection for Chinese made --anything. That's great, but the truth is the marketshare for Chinese made cell phone remains at 1% in the US and they are all pretty good. I have used many of them and find that they are even more responsive than the newest galaxy. But 1% still means there's 1 out of 100 people who celebrates their anniversary at a Chinese restaurant, embrace the Chinese culture, loves their Chinese made phone, and will buy a Chinese made car. I hear you..you can even be on this forum telling me how racist I am toward my people. But this is an investor thread and I am using what I know to make my predictions about the competitiveness of Chinese made cars disrupting the U.S. I put the chances at less than 5% and think Munro is wrong on this one.
Umm... the most popular phone in the US is Chinese made.

It's called the iPhone.

I don't think the Chinese brands are going to have as much trouble making it in the US as you seem to think they will. The Polestar is owned wholly by Geely and the auto media seems to love them.

Even if Chinese *brands* don't make it in the US, there will almost certainly be a massive Chinese presence in the battery industry as many companies will turn to BYD or other Chinese companies for batteries.

It doesn't matter if it says "Toyota" on the outside if it's BYD on the inside and the profits are flowing to China.

It's called the iPhone.

I don't think the Chinese brands are going to have as much trouble making it in the US as you seem to think they will. The Polestar is owned wholly by Geely and the auto media seems to love them.

Even if Chinese *brands* don't make it in the US, there will almost certainly be a massive Chinese presence in the battery industry as many companies will turn to BYD or other Chinese companies for batteries.

It doesn't matter if it says "Toyota" on the outside if it's BYD on the inside and the profits are flowing to China.
Yes I said this is the only way. The Chinese needs to disguise themselves as anything but Chinese in order to make a dent in the U.S. Volvo is now owned by the Chinese..but how many people knows that? Collaboration or joint venture means reduced margins. Piggybacking onto well known brand power is not free for either party.

It's called the iPhone.

This is flawed logic. Most of profits don’t flow to China from the IPhone. The vast majority flow to Apple.

It’s a fundamentally different dynamic because while China manufactures the IPhone, it’s a US company based product. In practically every sense. Is drastically different than Nio selling their vehicles here.

This is flawed logic. Most of profits don’t flow to China from the IPhone. The vast majority flow to Apple.

It’s a fundamentally different dynamic because while China manufactures the IPhone, it’s a US company based product. In practically every sense. Is drastically different than Nio selling their vehicles here.
Shouldn't even have mentioned the iPhone.

Polestar is Chinese owned.

Is it fundamentally different because your perception of the brand is that it's Swedish even though it's 100% Chinese owned?

If a Chinese corporation buys out the Dodge and Ram brands, will anyone in the US even notice?
There’s limits. Polestar is relatively unknown. US consumers could easily fall for the notion that its Swedish made and not really bother to look into it because there’s no association there.

Something like Dodge/RAM is too much name recognition for the Chinese to buy. It would kill whatever value the brand has the moment the public becomes aware that Dodge is owned by the Chinese. It todays age where things like this can be put in the spotlight in the matter of minutes, no way a Chinese company could get away with that

Reactions: LightngMcQueen