Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P/E was also helped by cheap money, stock buybacks, low inflation. So far this quarter's earnings reports are showing slower earnings growth as well as reduced projected earnings growth. It's early so we'll all see how this quarter pans out.
I have been calling NFLX a dud for many quarters. Earning growth seems weak. Content so so. Small TAM. Hardly a bellwether for tech. It should move its ER dates to the end of the season as to not depress everybody out. And dont even get me started on PTON. Too much excess in the market that needs to be flushed out.

Right a dot.com bubble that has zero characteristics to now. The S&P P/E multiple was at 45 when the dot.com bubble hit. Today's P/E is 25, will drop after the next two weeks of earnings even if stocks don't drop, and is fueled by Big Tech earnings that are as strong as ever and not going anywhere. And in reality, the S&P P/E back in 2000 was much more stretched than that because you had so many companies that has no earnings to speak of. Said companies nowadays have already gone through 50% reductions. Meanwhile Big Tech accounts for the majority of the earnings nowadays.

And 2008, a housing crisis brought on by the banks themselves who are now regulated more and where statistics are household income, debt, and discretionary spending are the opposite of where they were in 2008.

Please tell......where are the similarities in characteristics because I lived through both and neither are like the environment today

Profits as a share of GDP are unnaturally high from government stimulus that is tapering down.

You are assuming a slowing economy with an inflation fighting fed will have no impact on profit margins… but look at the last time that happened in the early 80s:

fredgraph.png

Reactions: Thekiwi
During my own lifetime there are been episodes of mass hysteria, none of which actually needed conspiracy, only ignorance and fear of the unknown.
Here are TMC we have tended to be a rational bunch, biased in favor of our passion, to be sure.
Recently we've tended a trifle towards conspiracy visions to justify negative views of TSLA.
We need no conspiracies to understand these views:
1. Auto dealers cannot be expected to be favorably disposed towards a company that does not use them;
2. Petroleum companies might not favor entities which are devoted to excluding use of fossil fuels.
3. Can anybody imagine why an operator of a gasoline vendor would favor an entity that seeks their demise?
4. Should union leaders and advocates favor entities that do not have unionized workforces?
5. Why should rating agencies favor a company that does not issue new ratable securities?
6. Why would investment bankers favor entity that does not regularly issue new securities of any kind?
..and this list goes on.

No conspiracies required. All these and more are entities that are threatened directly by the business model and plans of an entity that thrives by unsetting the status quo.

We really should stop imagining coordinated action and simply understand that many parts of the commercial world are threatened by greater or lesser extent by Tesla, SpaceX and what they represent. They need not coordinate for their common interests are obvious to all of them.

It is transparently obvious that the massive TSLA derivatives are a successful attempt to make money when conventional means will not work. Gullible, ignorant and/or greedy speculators greatly ease their efforts. Importantly institutional investors can 'innocently' engage in securities lending that lets them reduce carrying costs from non-dividend-paying security while incurring little risk.

SO, what do they need to conspire? Obviously, they do not. It's less risky to just understand their shared interests.

Every time we berate volatility, understated that volatility keeps the whole marker thriving, for the major players.
Retail ones can never thrive in this environment, if they try to play the market makers.

OK, throw brickbats! Please, please think!

Profits as a share of GDP are unnaturally high from government stimulus that is tapering down.

You are assuming a slowing economy with an inflation fighting fed will have no impact on profit margins… but look at the last time that happened in the early 80s:

fredgraph.png
Profits as a share of GDP are high because the economy has never seen profit margins at massive scale that Big Tech is doing which really has little to nothing to do with government stimulus. Perfect example, both Apple and Microsoft grew earnings at double the rate of their revenue year over year. That is going to have profound impacts on profit as share of GDP. Tesla grew profits at a rate of 4X revenue YoY in Q3. This is leverage at play that is going to throw off everything when you look at the "old" economy/stock market.

I mean just think about what Tesla is going to do to the traditional metrics of profits as share of GDP on the automotive side......Tesla is going to throw all sorts of traditional metrics into disarray because a "auto maker" isn't supposed to be making anywhere near the profit level Tesla will achieve.

And if you know anything about how the world economy works with Big Tech and software, then you know that is a stable and recurring source of earnings going forward. Just remind everyone, the period between 2010 and 2020 (and has been accelerating in 2021) is the best period of earnings growth in the history of the stock market.

If you take out Tech's earnings, that changes that chart/graph immensely. The notion that government spending is the key reason is hilarious to me.

And again....you're assuming slowing economy and inflation fighting fed even though there just as much evidence of the contrary is coming. Even if the actual result is somewhere in the middle, the worst off is that in 6 months the index's are essentially flat. Because just 6 months of Big Tech earnings growth will take the S&P's P/E multiple from 25 into the teens.

Last edited:
And? Might want to go and look at how much earnings have increased since the pandemic as well.

I don’t get why people point out how much an index has increase without also including how much earnings have increased. They’re tied at the hip. For whatever reason that’s always left out when people claim a crash is coming 🙄🤷‍♂️

crash is coming.

crash is coming.
Now can you articulate for yourself why you’re so certain a crash is coming? Because these same people have been calling the market a bubble for 10 years now

Profits as a share of GDP are high because the economy has never seen profit margins at massive scale that Big Tech is doing which really has little to nothing to do with government stimulus. Perfect example, both Apple and Microsoft grew earnings at double the rate of their revenue year over year. That is going to have profound impacts on profit as share of GDP. Tesla grew profits at a rate of 4X revenue YoY in Q3. This is leverage at play that is going to throw off everything when you look at the "old" economy/stock market.

I mean just think about what Tesla is going to do to the traditional metrics of profits as share of GDP on the automotive side......Tesla is going to throw all sorts of traditional metrics into disarray because a "auto maker" isn't supposed to be making anywhere near the profit level Tesla will achieve.

And if you know anything about how the world economy works with Big Tech and software, then you know that is a stable and recurring source of earnings going forward. Just remind everyone, the period between 2010 and 2020 (and has been accelerating in 2021) is the best period of earnings growth in the history of the stock market.

If you take out Tech's earnings, that changes that chart/graph immensely. The notion that government spending is the key reason is hilarious to me.

And again....you're assuming slowing economy and inflation fighting fed even though there just as much evidence of the contrary is coming. Even if the actual result is somewhere in the middle, the worst off is that in 6 months the index's are essentially flat. Because just 6 months of Big Tech earnings growth will take the S&P's P/E multiple from 25 into the teens.

You’re assuming the public’s capacity for massive rent-seeking by giant tech monopolies is infinite. Public opinion on these tech monopolies has been dropping precipitously…. And don’t kid yourself, most of the margin increase from Facebook, Google and Apple is pure monopoly rent.

The probability that the current party loses and the next one decides to Teddy Roosevelt on big tech is growing rapidly IMHO.

And there is lots of evidence the economy is slowing. It’s inevitable if the fed can’t get inflation under control and real wages continue to drop.

Also, profits as a share of GDP have a strong inverse correlation with rates. Compare that chart to the fed funds rate chart

I don’t have any special knowledge. I suggest that you read the article I posted.

My last post on macro economics and the stock market since I feel like I'll probably be at risk of getting a warning 🥴 🙃

But after reading that, I'm VERY comfortable with the market today. That research report is exactly the type of example of someone that is from the old economy/stock market that fundamentally doesn't understand the market today or the dynamics. As expected, he uses exaggerations to create the fear while completely ignoring the underlining basics of what has been happening over the past 10 years.

You’re assuming the public’s capacity for massive rent-seeking by giant tech monopolies is infinite. Public opinion on these tech monopolies has been dropping precipitously…. And don’t kid yourself, most of the margin increase from Facebook, Google and Apple is pure monopoly rent.

The probability that the current party loses and the next one decides to Teddy Roosevelt on big tech is growing rapidly IMHO.

And there is lots of evidence the economy is slowing. It’s inevitable if the fed can’t get inflation under control and real wages continue to drop.

Also, profits as a share of GDP have a strong inverse correlation with rates. Compare that chart to the fed funds rate chart
How is the economy slowing and yet can't get inflation under control? You can one or the other as they are polar opposite.

Sigh, alright one more post then I promise no more on the topic.

You view tech's profits/earnings as rent-seeking? Wow........I can't even remotely get on the same thought process as you. Consumers CHOOSE to use tech's products/software and as consumer has shown with their money, they love the aspects that tech bring into their lives.

Public opinion on tech dropping precipitously? So I guess you're applying the sentiment of FB to all other tech companies? And now the debate is resorting to Congress stopping tech's earnings....When your argument rests on tech's earnings won't continue the trend they've been on for 10 YEARS because of Congress.....yeah I don't know what to say.

Edit: Sorry for the offtopic, my last post on it. Won't derail the thread anymore.

Last edited:
My last post on macro economics and the stock market since I feel like I'll probably be at risk of getting a warning 🥴 🙃

But after reading that, I'm VERY comfortable with the market today. That research report is exactly the type of example of someone that is from the old economy/stock market that fundamentally doesn't understand the market today or the dynamics. As expected, he uses exaggerations to create the fear while completely ignoring the underlining basics of what has been happening over the past 10 years.
I am trying to understand that article.

According to the article

1. House is in a bubble
2. Equity market is in a bubble
3. Energy is in a bubble
4. Bonds are in a bubble
5. High inflation so cash is trash
6. Commodities are in a bubble

If everything is in a bubble then there is no bubble. It's kind of how things work. There's nothing to flee to. Covid as of today have continued to trash value company earnings except perhaps those involved in home construction.

I might be late to this...but any reasons why there's almost a 1:1 match to bitcoin and tesla in Google Search traffic since mid-2021?
Correlation does not mean causation. Both are tech ideas that have exploded into the scene over the past few years. Lots of articles discuss the ownership of BTC by Tesla as well.

How is the economy slowing and yet can't get inflation under control? You can one or the other as they are polar opposite.

The economy is slowing because inflation is biting into consumer purchasing power.

In order to fight inflation, the fed is going to have to raise rates, which will also likely slow the economy.

It the same thing that happened in the 70s and then the 80s, only on a much smaller and less severe scale. 70s stagflation led to the early 80s recession.

It’s a good thing the fed is doing it now rather than later, as the medicine would become more painful.

Note, I’m not expecting a giant crash and a collapse, but think a slowdown and a pullback (perhaps as high as 30%) is highly likely, then it will be back to business… that some of you think any type of slowdown ever is utterly impossible is odd to me and shows a lack of historical context.