Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk does not think like you do. He does not act like you do. He does not think or act like a lot of people do.

That difference is part of what makes him able to do the things he does.

Get over it. Don’t apologize. You can explain it. It’s an opportunity to explain to people that Autism and Asperger’s are not mental illness. Starting with you.
Elon being on the spectrum is definitely something not to forget.
But it's not definitely the whole story: maybe I'm naive, but with Oliver Sacks I think that any syndrome is intertwined with the person and viceversa. So, there is, at least to some degree, personal responsibility.
I've known a lot of people in the spectrum. Sometimes, they can be ass**les, like any other person. Of course, it's difficult to say we the asperger ends and the ass**ness begins, but this is, again, true for everyone.

Another part of the story, which is the one being repeated endlessly by media big and small, influences, left and right politicians, etc. is that Elon is a egocentric billionaire that loves to say whatever he wants.
Which is not always a smart thing. Sometimes, it's really dumb, in both content and form.

I don't want to discuss Canadian politics - I know **** about it - but even I can tell you that a Hitler meme, when you are a billionaire with 60mln followers, is not a smart thing to post...

He should be a bit more careful, but he won't be. I'm also afraid that his social buddies and yesmen won't do him any good. I'll live with it, but we must not forget that this narrative is the only one existing for millions of people. And Elon is not helping to change that, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wonder why they are pushing the cars around. Are they using manpower and the car in neutral just to avoid running up the odometer?

note: for anyone that didn't watch the video the car drove across the parking lot part way with 1 or 2 people inside, then when it got to a certain spot 4 or so people walked up and pushed it around the parking lot to the spot they wanted it to be. Happens around 10:50 to 11:50 as they reposition multiple vehicles.

I supose the car could be on and they are just guiding, but it sure looks like some of those people are trying hard to push.

Maybe they're missing a part/s. That might explain the open frunks and missing trim piece.
I highly doubt that a plastic cover piece is holding them up. I think the the following information was can draw a pretty good conclusion of what is going on.
  1. Missing frunk trim piece (It's probably in the trunk of the car)
  2. People pushing the cars
  3. A lot of dust on the cars
  4. Car covers on the car
With all that we can guess that the High voltage (HV) fuse/switch in the frunk has been disconnected and the cars have been, or will be sitting for 1+ weeks and they don't want to drain the battery of the vehicles. The trim was removed to make the access to the HV cutoff switch easier. Of course no idea how long will they sit there. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe they are waiting for a charging infrastructure to be installed, I am not sure if that temporary portable Supercharger that was on the flatbed has been setup yet.

All good points. Has anyone actually found the entirety of the patent? I looked but couldn't find it (free access of course). From the blurbs that I've seen I don't see any infringement as Ford is describing a process that is different than Tesla.

As this is engineering, we can further discuss in that thread and then bring the conclusions back here for business impact.
Of course access to patent documents is free. The whole point of a patent system is to spread knowledge so others can build on that knowledge and get humanity to progress further.

Here it is

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
I'll try and give you a serious answer, because quite a lot of money is at stake. So, to be honest I don't have any particular emotional feeling regarding this. The forecast I have generated is simply a fairly mechanical outcome of the particular model I have adopted. In these things the motto should be to "dispassionately follow the data", of course hedged with the caveat that one must acknowledge that opinions/emotions of others are in play.

An aspect of the model I use is to observe that there are different types of buyers/sellers out there. Some are momentum traders or emotion traders or playing all sorts of options games, and I cannot account for them. However amongst the more rational buyers/sellers some focus on PE ratios, some focus on PR ratios, some focus on PEG ratios; and some do it quarterly, and some do it annually; and some do it GAAP, and some do it non-GAAP / EBITDA; and some do it backwards-looking and some do it forwards-looking; and some use 1yr fwds and some 5yr fwds. That is to say one could come up with several different 'metrics' for valuation*, and if one were to focus on only one of those and to model a shareprice trajectory accordingly, then one would inadvertently create very sharp discontinuties in the other valuation metrics. So, back in the real world, what would happen is that the traders/investors who are focussed on those other metrics would swing wildly and abruptly and that would confound any single-metric-driven shareprice forecasting model. Therefore I try to blend the various metrics together to get a smoother progression in all the ratios over time, as that - in my opinion - has the best possibility of forecasting a more central shareprice trajectory.

Having done that, the question becomes what to do with it. My opinion is that there are very large error bars on that blended valuation forecast for TSLA, much larger than for most businesses (even for 'now', let alone forwards-looking) because of the disparity in the outcomes from the different metrics (let alone the different operational and financial scenarios). This means that the TSLA shareprice could - perfectly logically and rationally, with no malicious interference required, and full information access to all participants - move rapidly and abruptly over a very wide range, and sit at odd valuations in a sticky manner for very long periods, and then fluctuate rapidly with no apparent cause. So if that were to be the case - and I think it is the case - then one needs to position ones own portfolio of TSLA (and non-TSLA) so as to get the best possible outcome given the resources one has as an individual. For a solo smallbeer investor like me, that could logically and rationally lead to a different strategy than (say) a very rich person, or (say) a fund.

And - in my opinion - this accounts for a lot of what we observe in the TSLA shareprice. So no, I'm not being funny, quite the reverse as I see a range of participants in the market, all of whom have very different views on what might constitute 'funny'.

* Of course valuation is only the last stage of any model of this nature. The first stages are to actually model the operational and financial performance of the business. They are just as hard, if not harder. I should point out that The Accountant's models are more sophisticated than mine in this respect, if only because he includes BS and CF statements in his modelling, and because he takes a lot more effort than I do to account for below-the-line items such as tax and interest and stock options and whatnot - and I am highly impressed by all that. In contrast my models are rather more simplistic in that respect.
I thought you were kidding because of the scratched-in, additional redline at the $1000-$900 level of the graph?

Reactions: petit_bateau
Whining about Elon on etc forums helps how exactly?
Will he change?

Instead of whining, you should simply decide are you still on board or not.
That will help.
Help you and your 'public' who must read your whines and comfort your pains.

Humans? No, just old infants.
It sounds as if you are advocating for the forum to be the cheerleading echo chamber we have often been accused of but never have been. Discussing and even criticizing the actions of the CEO are appropriate since they can and do influence the stock price.

I highly doubt that a plastic cover piece is holding them up. I think the the following information was can draw a pretty good conclusion of what is going on.
  4. Car covers on the car
With all that we can guess that the High voltage (HV) fuse/switch in the frunk has been disconnected and the cars have been, or will be sitting for 1+ weeks and they don't want to drain the battery of the vehicles. The trim was removed to make the access to the HV cutoff switch easier. Of course no idea how long will they sit there. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe they are waiting for a charging infrastructure to be installed, I am not sure if that temporary portable Supercharger that was on the flatbed has been setup yet.
That sounds plausible. I wasn't suggesting that the trim piece itself might be responsible- just that it's removal may facilitate access to a missing part. I watched the video later and saw the cars driving on their own power to the parking area. That seems to lend credence to your high voltage switch theory. It's also possible the employees were just being extra cautious.

4. Car covers on the car
Wonder if the area inside where they were storing these was about to go under construction so now that they have new lots outside they just moved them. Maybe not cars ready to ship yet, Could explain why we saw a truck with performance leave and these are staying. Flyovers will tell us a good story.

Unfortunate for who? You? Me? If he thought it a big enough personal problem, he’d change for himself.

Be careful what you wish for.
My personal opinion is that the main "narrative", repeated and driven by media and the like, about an "unhinged evil billionaire" is not helping the mission.
Do you think otherwise?
I'm actually interested to change my mind about this.

below $870 for the real Maxpain. it seems to be the pattern for the last three weeks. Keep a high Maxpain, even 'support the number" in the charts. and then become honest on Friday...at least in the charts. Keep The stated Maxpain high, but at least be a little more honest in the charts.
Don't know if this is a play/game of MM with Maxpain, or Maxpain is in cahoots.

I agree, and I worry too. A lot. I'm a long-term shareholder and have a MY on order. When I talk about it I encounter more and more people who "would NEVER buy a Tesla--because of Elon musk--he's a horrible person."
Exactly this. Elon is damaging the brand needlessly and even turning supporters against it, he's working against his own interests. Let's say the trucker strike he supports so vocally spreads to the US and prevents Tesla from getting needed parts, slowing or stopping production. That's in direct opposition to his mission and his goals.

I agree, and I worry too. A lot. I'm a long-term shareholder and have a MY on order. When I talk about it I encounter more and more people who "would NEVER buy a Tesla--because of Elon musk--he's a horrible person." I've countered with the usual arguemnts that we all probably do. I think Musk is the historically important industrialist, engineer, and practical environmentalist of our time.

Last night's Hitler tweet was very discouraging. And, frankly, disgusting. How much damage to the brand will he do--and how will that translate into sales for all Tesla products? And is this the person and company people will trust to design and sell humanoid AI robots? Autonomous cars? Every day brings more damaging FUD on phantom braking, FSD, quality and reliability ratings, customer service, and other things that he should be spending his time and energy on solving, not committing unforced errors like this one, and turning away likely Tesla customers by the thousands. As an investor--I worry about that too.

Completely agree, this is the nth unforced error with his posting. We know that nobody can reign him in, no matter how indefensible his behavior on social media is. It continues to accumulate people with a very hostile attitude towards him (and in turn Tesla products) and the media is all too happy to cynically amplify the effect. There is zero upside for the company here and if we want TSLA to be a trillion+ dollar behemoth long term we need institutions and (small c) conservative investors to be a part of that, many of whom consider this company too risky with this unnecessary social media stuff. It's up to each of us as investors to decide for ourselves, but some members here have blinders on if they think this isn't an ongoing risk to factor in. IMO it can always get worse, or even a lot worse. We are in a different game than when this was a ~$50B company.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that the main "narrative", repeated and driven by media and the like, about an "unhinged evil billionaire" is not helping the mission.
Do you think otherwise?
I'm actually interested to change my mind about this.
The narrative is whatever the liars want it to be. And by liars, I don’t just mean the obvious but also us individually and the narrative we let ourselves be told and tell to ourselves, much of it all one big, fat lie.

Those teeth that upset you so with the latest tweet are the same teeth fighting for all of mankind. Is the recipient of that tweet fighting as hard for you as the deliverer of said tweet? Last I checked, no. That’s not an excuse for bad behavior, what it is is the truth. So, I say again, be careful what you wish for.

Personally, I don’t care who thinks Elon Musk is an unhinged, evil billionaire. They should narrate away and add fuel to his fire if they think that’s a good idea. In the end, it only matters what Elon thinks of himself and what he does or does not want to do about it.

Additionally: I say with confidence that Elon isn’t trying to damage Tesla via Twitter, it’s a personal space for him to express himself, but if he decides to take Tesla down, I wouldn’t blame him. We don’t deserve to be saved from ourselves.

Last edited: