Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be watching for a FSD price increase soon in Canada: (which occurred soon after FSD beta debuted in the U.S.A.)

Cheers!
Not only in Canada....Pity.

Yeah, I reworded my original post. My point is that any agreement for the future sale of shares not currently owned by either party is a corrupt practise, and should not be a legal contract (by very definition). It's like two guys arguing on your lawn about who gets to sell your house after they run over your dog.

The bottom line is that no Contract can guarantee those shares can be bought at ANY price before they sell that share. Margin requirements are not a sufficient guarantee as we saw in Jan 2021 with $GME, when there was >140% of the outstanding shares committed via Put options (which cause a $2.8 collapse of a hedge fund): it is a massive house of cards.

TL;dr Did you play "musical chairs" when you were a kid? Remember what happens when the music stops? Littlest kid gets bounced. Hard.

Elon has now weighed in about the need to regulate Put options and synthetic short positions:

So I got to see a blue model Y up close for the first time at a shopping centre in northern England, straight away I could see why this is going to be a best seller and why it will outsell the 3. The only problem is the Y version available at the moment costs £55,000.

I asked the staff if she knew anything about when giga Berlin was going to make them but she couldn’t say and said she didn’t even know if/when Berlin would produce for the UK as they will have to meet the demand for all mainland Europe.

I also saw polestar vehicles in a show room and at a charging point outside. They looked bigger and sturdier than the 3. At a glance the vehicles looked fine and whatever the specs or lack of charging issues I am glad others are at least making them.
As owner of both Volvo XC 40 Recharge and Model S Plaid, I agree that I'm glad they both exist. The Volvo/Polestar are pretty primitive as BEVs. not bad when there is no Tesla. My former Tesla Model 3 P was leagues ahead of the Volvo, and compared to the Plaid it's faintly ridiculous. The most notable difference is that the Plaid energy consumption is roughly 2/3 that of the Volvo. Financially a Tesla is much, much cheaper to operate, not to mention everything OTA.

Every serious BEV comparison ends out favoring Tesla. It's never easy to find something else as good.

TSLA share value keeps reflecting the competitive reality, despite valiant efforts to claim otherwise by most established ICE sources. Hence FUD probably often is wishful thinking without actual malice.

In the midst of everything happening just now it is easy to forget that present day reality easily justifies our optimism. We need not have Grüneheide, FSD or even 4680s for the earnings to continue rising rapidly.

Be calm, all will be well for our investments.
The rest of the world? That, alone, makes me lose sleep. We may need Mars sooner than Elon thinks.

# 103 Tesla Giga Berlin • 2022-02-26 • Gigafactory 4K

maxresdefault.jpg

New "zwei-decker" Supercharger spotted at Giga Berlin. Should allow new cars to be charged while waiting to depart the factory but after they're loaded onto transport truck trailers or railcars.

"Multiple efficiencies, in multiple dimensions" - S.R. Hadden ;)

Cheers!

As owner of both Volvo XC 40 Recharge and Model S Plaid, I agree that I'm glad they both exist. The Volvo/Polestar are pretty primitive as BEVs. not bad when there is no Tesla. My former Tesla Model 3 P was leagues ahead of the Volvo, and compared to the Plaid it's faintly ridiculous. The most notable difference is that the Plaid energy consumption is roughly 2/3 that of the Volvo. Financially a Tesla is much, much cheaper to operate, not to mention everything OTA.

Every serious BEV comparison ends out favoring Tesla. It's never easy to find something else as good.

TSLA share value keeps reflecting the competitive reality, despite valiant efforts to claim otherwise by most established ICE sources. Hence FUD probably often is wishful thinking without actual malice.

In the midst of everything happening just now it is easy to forget that present day reality easily justifies our optimism. We need not have Grüneheide, FSD or even 4680s for the earnings to continue rising rapidly.

Be calm, all will be well for our investments.
The rest of the world? That, alone, makes me lose sleep. We may need Mars sooner than Elon thinks.
Agreed, it is an interesting thing when a consumer is faced with a known brand (something you've bought before) and an obvious objectively better choice (Tesla) when that obviousness is so huge your brain doesn't want to believe it and you think their must be a 'catch' or some unknown that you're missing.

This is called brand equity and/or subjectively/personal bias. I've met many who make decisions based on these.

Not to mention motivated ignorance bias about climate change and the oil/gas industry when the consumer chooses to buy an ICE car.

maxresdefault.jpg

New "zwei-decker" Supercharger spotted at Giga Berlin. Should allow new cars to be charged while waiting to depart the factory but after they're loaded onto transport truck trailers or railcars.

Cheers!
That's still quite a head scratcher for me.

At its current location it's not really scalable, but that might be explained as a prototype.
But then the whole thing looks very fickle.
First you have to line up the trailer quite accurately.
Then you have to wait with the attached truck, or unhook and get a charged one.
Or you place the empty trailer in there and start charging as you load in the cars.
But as we can see in Fremont and Shanghai, the waiting cars seem to massively outnumber the available trailers, so it seems counterproductive.

The one place I could see this improve efficiency would be if they ship out the cars by train and have to wait for the scheduled departure anyway.

Finally getting around to watching watching Dave Lee’s ep. 544 with James Douma. James poses a hypothetical (purely a thought experiment) of Tesla issuing an “FSD dividend share” that awards a $$$ based off of FSD’s future profits. The question is, for people like me that give FSD $0 in valuation beyond its effect on auto margins, do you sell the FSD dividend share now or hang onto it? It forces you to make a decision on FSD’s future possible value in a way I hadn’t thought before.

I already knew I’m pretty dumb, but now I KNOW I’m even dumber than I thought. 0% valuation on a key aspect of the business is very stupid of me.

Of course, this argument applies to pretty much anything in any business that the business is either aware of or not, but I still think that it was very stupid of me to choose 0% value for future FSD revenues.

Grateful all of the people smarter than I am (which is like 99.999999% of the world) share their thoughts on the internet. Many thanks to all the brainiacs out there!

maxresdefault.jpg

Cheers!
I think it's another example of 3D manufacturing as we saw in China. By shifting the charging to the trucks, it's 1/2 the "floorspace" needed. Plus it means a truck doesn't have to wait for the charging in order to load so maybe it's just for that event as a buffer. I see this as a manufacturing improvement somehow, but I'm not an IE.

I'll be watching for a FSD price increase soon in Canada: (which occurred soon after FSD beta debuted in the U.S.A.)

Cheers!
I think Elon said «Canada and Norway» being next for FSD beta, any news on the latter?

At its current location it's not really scalable, but that might be explained as a prototype.
Or you place the empty trailer in there and start charging as you load in the cars.
But as we can see in Fremont and Shanghai, the waiting cars seem to massively outnumber the available trailers, so it seems counterproductive.

The one place I could see this improve efficiency would be if they ship out the cars by train and have to wait for the scheduled departure anyway.

They will ship out cars by train and this always entails waiting for a scheduled departure anyway. This will allow more cars to be stored in less space and be charged at the same time.

Regarding Alex's most recent communication:

Starlink is not Tesla BUT the underlying connection does make any development potentially worth discussing here. HOWEVER - These strict ground rules will be followed:

1. NO duplicate posting of a development. If that means you have to read every single post from this one on out to determine if you're being repetitive, so be it.

2. NO uninformed speculation about "What if". There have been far too many such down-the-rabbit-hole inanities here in the past years.

3. As always, before you hit the "Post reply" button, ask yourself whether what you have written will be a productive addition to informed conversation. If not, DO NOT POST IT.

I think this will work well as a charging solution for railcars. I recall that the outbound logistics area at Giga Berlin includes a railhead. Depending upon the loading time requred per car/per train, this may work well either as a "roll-by" or a "roll-up" arrangment. Happily, we should know more in just a few months.

Cheers!

I just tweeted at Elon that Europe needs to become less reliant on natgas, and this has to happen on a war footing.

Tesla can help not only with solar plus batteries but also compact and powerful HVAC systems.

If there is someone who can move at warp speed and enable this transition, only a single name comes to mind.