Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He also asked for the consent decree to be voided. If the judge agrees to void it, I guess it would go back to the SEC's original complaint against Musk and Tesla and the court case would go on.

Lots of filings there, including an affidavit by Musk saying that his 420 tweet was 100% true. No surprise.

I'd be surprised if Musk made that up our of whole cloth so I suspect there is something behind the 420 buyout comment. It'll be interesting to see if there is any corroborating documents.

Two strong days in a row where TSLA outperformed it's beta/macros. Especially today.

Hoping that we don't see a repeat of mid week last week where TSLA came out of the gate strong on Mon/Tues only to significantly underperform on Wed/Thurs. Thankfully I think (hope) we have the last potential negative catalyst out of the way which was Feb China numbers (which actually turned out to be a good catalyst).

Next upcoming catalyst is the Berlin delivery event on March 22nd followed of course by Q1 P/D on April 3rd.

Gonna be an interesting dynamic. Tesla is surely about to post another record quarter, probably somewhere around 330-335k. Two new factories opening. High gas prices are going to solidify Tesla's sold out for 2022 and well into 2023.

The flip side?

S&P and Nasdaq both are super close to their lows from 2 weeks ago, 4,131 for the S&P and 12,684 for the Nasdaq. I'm pretty sure they're headed down anywhere from 5-10% each if they end up closing below those levels this week. If macro's hold here then I think we're setting a strong double bottom.

He also asked for the consent decree to be voided.

Here's two important excerpts: (Mar 8, 2022, updated 12:50 PM EST)
  • Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk asked a judge to end the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s oversight of his Twitter posts under a 2018 agreement because he claims it is being used to “trample” his free speech rights.
  • Musk also asked the judge to block an SEC subpoena for documents relating to the review of his tweets and his sale of stock and options, a court filing on Tuesday showed. An SEC spokesperson declined to comment.

Here's two important excerpts: (Mar 8, 2022, updated 12:50 PM EST)
  • Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk asked a judge to end the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s oversight of his Twitter posts under a 2018 agreement because he claims it is being used to “trample” his free speech rights.
Wait, his recent tweets were acrually filtered through the SEC and he asks to be further unleashed ?

I'm visiting Texas and went to the Houston Rodeo, a giant three-week festival with probably 80k attendees last night on a cold, windy Monday.

Evidently, Ford, BP, Chevron, Shell, ConocoPhillips and their ilk must have spent millions on Rodeo advertising. Zero advertising for the F-150 Lightning, by the way. They didn't even bring out a Lightning prototype vehicle for the part of the show where they drove out onto the arena floor to haul away some stuff.

Also, all of yesterday in Houston I saw only two EVs, all Model 3s. In Seattle, I literally can't look out my window for a couple minutes without seeing three Teslas; often there are two at the same stoplight.

Did they just miss the biggest building in America being built in record speed last year right in their backyard? It seems to me that both average Texans and company execs wasting money on all this PR still have no idea how fast the oil & gas industry is going to collapse for non-OPEC producers. Business as usual will leave Houston, the USA's 4th largest city, with a severely crippled economy. They are in for a rude awakening when they finally realize the future of Texan energy is in Austin.

Luckily, Texas has enormous solar and wind resources so hopefully that can fill in the gap for them. Still, I'm worried for Houston.

I don't know what to make of this, but it seems pretty bullish for Tesla. Seems like the old guard is still either clueless or unethically deciding to pretend like this isn't happening and lie to the public when they should be throwing all their chips onto solar wind and batteries and winding down their legacy businesses as fast as possible.

Maybe Tesla will expand into Houston. There are many good engineers and techs here who want to work in energy and will need employment soon, and meanwhile Elon likes Texas and did the same thing when SpaceX scooped up people NASA abandoned in 2009 when the Shuttle program was cancelled. It's also a major multicultural port city with great food and art, a key deciding factor in Tesla's location decisions.

Last edited:
Can someone explain this max pain chart for 3/18? The call and put spikes seem far more aligned than I've ever seen in a max pain chart. Are hedge funds or market makers doing this on purpose to avoid taking an actual position?

View attachment 778390

It's a quarterly expiration that has been trading for a while - when we were above 1200 in November and when we got down to 700. So there will be a wider range of strikes, compared to the usual weekly expirations that have only been on the market for a month or two.

I'm visiting Texas and went to the Houston Rodeo, a giant three-week festival with probably 100k attendees last night on a cold, windy Monday. Evidently, Ford, BP, Chevron, Shell, ConocoPhillips and their ilk must have spent millions on Rodeo advertising. Zero advertising for the F-150 Lightning by the way.

Also, all of yesterday in Houston I saw only two EVs, all Model 3s. In Seattle, I literally can't look out my window for a couple minutes without seeing three Teslas; often there are two at the same stoplight.

Did they just miss the biggest building in America being built in record speed last year right in their backyard? It seems to me that both average Texans and company execs wasting money on all this PR still have no idea how fast the oil & gas industry is going to collapse for non-OPEC producers. Business as usual will leave Houston, the USA's 4th largest city, with a severely crippled economy.

Luckily Texas has enormous solar and wind resources so hopefully that can fill in the gap for them.
Just to be clear, this is CERAWeek in Houston, a big oil industry conference. So there were probably a lot of people who attended both and that's why the advertising at the rodeo was skewed to oil companies.

Just to be clear, this is CERAWeek in Houston, a big oil industry conference. So there were probably a lot of people who attended both and that's why the advertising at the rodeo was skewed to oil companies.
Could be but it was the same when I visited Houston last April. I'm just shocked that the stunningly fast completion of Tera Austin and Tesla's incredible financial performance over the past year hasn't been more of a wakeup call for the industry.

Two strong days in a row where TSLA outperformed it's beta/macros. Especially today.

Hoping that we don't see a repeat of mid week last week where TSLA came out of the gate strong on Mon/Tues only to significantly underperform on Wed/Thurs. Thankfully I think (hope) we have the last potential negative catalyst out of the way which was Feb China numbers (which actually turned out to be a good catalyst).

Next upcoming catalyst is the Berlin delivery event on March 22nd followed of course by Q1 P/D on April 3rd.

Gonna be an interesting dynamic. Tesla is surely about to post another record quarter, probably somewhere around 330-335k. Two new factories opening. High gas prices are going to solidify Tesla's sold out for 2022 and well into 2023.

The flip side?

S&P and Nasdaq both are super close to their lows from 2 weeks ago, 4,131 for the S&P and 12,684 for the Nasdaq. I'm pretty sure they're headed down anywhere from 5-10% each if they end up closing below those levels this week. If macro's hold here then I think we're setting a strong double bottom.

Also among upcoming catalysts are February CPI (consumer inflation). We know how the market and TSLA have responded to recent inflation reports.

NEXT RELEASE

February 2022 CPI data are scheduled to be released on March 10, 2022, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.

Could be but it was the same when I visited Houston last April. I'm just shocked that the stunningly fast completion of Tera Austin and Tesla's incredible financial performance over the past year hasn't been more of a wakeup call for the industry.
The next double will probably rattle some nuts out of the tree.

Tesla is still *just* ? 3% ? of the US market or so. By early 2023 it'll be up to ~5-6% and there will hopefully be trucks coming out of Austin.

Could be but it was the same when I visited Houston last April.
It's literally illegal to buy a Tesla in Texas, so that might have some impact.

I've been asking for a while in the oil thread what people think Texas will do for tax revenue or basic services once oil & gas go the way of the coal industry. It ain't far off.

People like Elon flock there for their low taxes and "freedom", but it's all rooted in oil & gas revenue.

Also among upcoming catalysts are February CPI (consumer inflation). We know how the market and TSLA have responded to recent inflation reports.

NEXT RELEASE

February 2022 CPI data are scheduled to be released on March 10, 2022, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
Yeah my post was more TSLA catalyst related but the CPI number could very much be the macro catalyst that either sends macro's on the next 5-10% leg lower or serves as the catalyst for the double bottom.

Really hard to know how bad of number is priced in for CPI at this point.

Of course, TSLA shouldn't react to inflation numbers since it's products are deflationary items for consumers but we all know Wall St won't look at it that way

MODERATOR: Let's can the heat pump discussion. This is the Tesla/TSLA thread. Thank you.
just one more please, please oh please... because I just read so many worthless "I have a heat pump blah bla h blah posts...
Us ants want to tell you all, we have long used passive geo-thermal for both heating and cooling. Get with it. worthless heat pumps.

Last edited:
It's literally illegal to buy a Tesla in Texas, so that might have some impact.

I've been asking for a while in the oil thread what people think Texas will do for tax revenue or basic services once oil & gas go the way of the coal industry. It ain't far off.

People like Elon flock there for their low taxes and "freedom", but it's all rooted in oil & gas revenue.

“It's literally illegal to buy a Tesla in Texas”

it’s perfectly legal for people in Texas to buy a tesla, they just have to do it on tesla.com, or from a used car dealer or another owner.

I'd be surprised if Musk made that up our of whole cloth so I suspect there is something behind the 420 buyout comment.
I never doubted it, it was obvious he only settled to avoid the negativity of litigation hanging over the company. "Considering" doing something is not any sort of legally binding statement and of course he could have gotten the funding to make it happen. At least one former SEC member felt Elon had a strong case.

I'm visiting Texas and went to the Houston Rodeo, a giant three-week festival with probably 80k attendees last night on a cold, windy Monday.

Evidently, Ford, BP, Chevron, Shell, ConocoPhillips and their ilk must have spent millions on Rodeo advertising. Zero advertising for the F-150 Lightning, by the way. They didn't even bring out a Lightning prototype vehicle for the part of the show where they drove out onto the arena floor to haul away some stuff.

Did they just miss the biggest building in America being built in record speed last year right in their backyard? It seems to me that both average Texans and company execs wasting money on all this PR still have no idea how fast the oil & gas industry is going to collapse for non-OPEC producers. Business as usual will leave Houston, the USA's 4th largest city, with a severely crippled economy. They are in for a rude awakening when they finally realize the future of Texan energy is in Austin.

Luckily, Texas has enormous solar and wind resources so hopefully that can fill in the gap for them. Still, I'm worried for Houston.

I don't know what to make of this, but it seems pretty bullish for Tesla. Seems like the old guard is still either clueless or unethically deciding to pretend like this isn't happening and lie to the public when they should be throwing all their chips onto solar wind and batteries and winding down their legacy businesses as fast as possible.

Maybe Tesla will expand into Houston. There are many good engineers and techs here who want to work in energy and will need employment soon, and meanwhile Elon likes Texas and did the same thing when SpaceX scooped up people NASA abandoned in 2009 when the Shuttle program was cancelled. It's also a major multicultural port city with great food and art, a key deciding factor in Tesla's location decisions.
I would suggest your sampling is unscientific. There are three Teslas within a block of my house (Houston suburb).

I never doubted it, it was obvious he only settled to avoid the negativity of litigation hanging over the company. "Considering" doing something is not any sort of legally binding statement and of course he could have gotten the funding to make it happen. At least one former SEC member felt Elon had a strong case.
He's got a very solid case, now that the company is worth 10x $420. The case all rested on incredulity about anybody wanting to take the company private at $420.
As someone who was not invested in Tesla at the time (Hope I don't get kicked off the thread for admitting this) and largely not aware of the details it sounded a bit ridiculous at the time. In retrospect knowing what I know now... perspective is different.

I'm glad it didn't happen, it would have been a huge loss us who were not invested at the time and for owners it would have been a one-time big payout sacrificing a lot of upside later.

A couple years back on a trip to SanFrancisco hardly ever saw a Tesla. I expected to see more than we see around here on east side of Seattle ….

• Helpful
Reactions: Gigapress