Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no increase in charging speed due to form factor.

Form factor wasn’t the only change announced at battery day though.

Tesla also announced significant changes to the cathode chemistry (aka Tesla Silicon) which will mean a significant speed up in charging times.

Its not clear if the cathode/ silicon changes will make it into the new cells or not.
*Silicon Anode. The cathode is Iron based (LFP), nickel manganese or high nickel.

I'm not an engineer, but this analysis has been made:

"Calculated charging time from 10% to 80% with the 4680 pack was reduced from 25 minutes to 15 minutes.--- The estimated maximum charging rate increased from 250 kW with 2170 pack to 275 kW with the 4680 pack. The 275 kW charging rate holds constant from 10% to 50% state of charge where we begin to taper the charging rate."
The Limiting Factor did a bit on charge time (pretty sure for 4680s, lots of caveats with it) that looked at the charge curve. If I recall correctly, it was looking at what the curve would look like on V3 chargers at 250kw. The assumptions were, even if there wasn’t a V3+ that’s capable of greater than 250kw charging, the new batteries might be able to handle a much higher average charge rate. Which could mean much faster charging times.

This is one of the customer facing features that I think may create a new inflection point in BEV adoption. The disinformation campaign that’s spinning up on twitter is cherry picking things that are technically true, like time to charge from 0-100% (hour plus) to try to paint BEVs in a bad light. Of course, there will be more new and creative disinfo, but it would be great to kill this argument once and for all.

The increase you mention is a 46mm tabless vs 21mm tabless. It is not a direct comparison of 46mm tabless to 21mm tabbed.

If you doubt this, ask yourself: how likely is it that tabless does absolutely nothing to impact charge rate at the 21 mm diameter, even though it cuts what 90% of the path length for heat and electrical flow?
So you are saying that Tesla is lying? The dotted line is clearly labeled as single tabbed and starts at zero for the 21 size... The 2170 size was optimized and maybe tabless doesn't matter for the speeds they charge at.

Last edited:
Something to consider for TSLA trading in the week ahead:

"US says China will face repercussions if it grants Russias request for aid in supplying its war effort in Ukraine"

Potential economic sanctions against China from Western countries might become a topic this coming week, which would possibly be bad news for US companies that export goods, and/or export parts, and/or sell goods in China (Tesla, like many US companies, participate in all three of those activities).

Potential economic sanctions against China from Western countries might become a topic this coming week, which would possibly be bad news for US companies that export goods, and/or export parts, and/or sell goods in China (Tesla, like many US companies, participate in all three of those activities).
I speak Chinese and have a decent understanding of their government, economy, and geopolitical goals. I don’t think we will sanction them even if they do supply arms to Russia ,but global powers are currently being reordered. Things are happening so fast that it’s really hard to keep up with.

An influential individual in Shanghai posted an analysis of the current situation and suggested it would be in china’s interests to side with the West. His analysis has since been suppressed in mainland China, but still an interesting piece of information, especially since he has the gall to post it at all.

Definitely something to be mindful of. Following closely.

China mostly makes the worlds manufactured goods.

Russia has nothing to pay for this stuff.

That simply is not so.

Russias top 3 exports were wheat, iron, and oil.

All of which China imports large amounts of.

In fact- China just lifted their quotas on how much Russian wheat they'll take for example-

China getting bargain basement prices trading for Russian exports, because Russia can't sell trade them to anyone else, is a big win for China, and a potential major lifeline for Russia.

That said, this discussion really should go elsewhere.

I'm not an engineer, but this analysis has been made:

"Calculated charging time from 10% to 80% with the 4680 pack was reduced from 25 minutes to 15 minutes.--- The estimated maximum charging rate increased from 250 kW with 2170 pack to 275 kW with the 4680 pack. The 275 kW charging rate holds constant from 10% to 50% state of charge where we begin to taper the charging rate."

that's pure conjecture with "simulated" packs. You'll have to wait for real world data if you want a real answer. No telling how bad their made up math is.

Anyways, HK and Shenzhen lockdowns isn't doing the Asian market any favor tomorrow..and there goes our green Nasdaq futures.
Head fake.

Not to be creepy, but pretty sure you still still have family over there? From what I know, the “lockdowns” in China since 2020 have been completely misreported.

Close friend was on the very first flight back to Shanghai that was quarantined…it was in April 2020.

Work continues in China.