Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know what else has a third time? This is the third time that Reuters has updated their original article regarding Tesla's Shanghai factory closure by creating a brand new article instead of just actually updating the original article, LOL.

FUD tryhard much? :p

View attachment 786922
I’m still skeptical of the Shanghai plant being completely shut down since we’ve seen official reports about factories being allowed to be operational if workers sleep/live on sight, but I’ll account for a day or two of lost production that actually effects deliveries for Q1 and bring my Q1 estimate for deliveries down to 330-335k

I’m seeing quite a few laughable twitter post with assumptions of sub 310k deliveries, with some even suggesting a decline from Q4. There’s practically zero chance of that happening 😂

When Tesla enters into an Operating Lease with a customer, they estimate
If the residual value of the car changes (in this case it goes up as used car prices are rising), then they take the benefit of this increase over the remaining term of the lease, they don't wait until the car returns to take the benefit.…
I have never heard of residual value changing during the term of a retail auto lease. The residual value theoretically represents expected lease term end vehicle market value but there are often artificial reasons to raise or lower that value. Resale value is entirely different. The resale value causes gain or loss to the lessor at lease term end. In the event of early termination the lessee is liable for discrepancies either up or down. Resale value guarantees, where they exist, is another topic.

I’m puzzled by the idea that residual value can be estimated. Residual value is a contractual stated value that may be higher or lower than resale value, which is a market value.

The residual value should be viewed as a ‘balloon payment’ an never as estimated resale value. Often it is estimated resale value.

This subject is arcane. Captive finance companies manipulate all lease parameters to facilitate increased profits for leases. FWIW, for many years auto dealer F&I has made double or more the profitability on sales through leases than loans, or worst, cash sales. That is because virtually no consumers understand the link between money factor, residual value, capitalized cost and eventual lease termination. Various insurance products, including the infamous 'forced place' products have very fine print disclosing them.

Generally, Tesla-written leases are among the least problematic of all OEM-sponsored products. That is one reason why their ABS issuances have such stellar credit performance.

FWIW, leases for large capital equipment such as aircraft, conventional manufacturing and mining equipment and specialized equipment for electronics, buildings and so on have different rules and entirely different asset valuation and impairment rules. The comments above relate only to conventional retail US auto leases. Auto fleet leases also have entirely different rules. Further, the Hertz deals for Uber drivers are also completely different.

Lastly, most dealership F&I people and most Tesla customer-facing staff are not familiar with the details of these products.
Some years ago my team made an examination of all our client's lease support staff. The client was a major US OEM captive finance company. Our examination was entirely multiple choices and used no trick questions. Out of ~120 people who took the exam only two passed, and they were part of the lease design project. That is typical, these products are not intended to be understandable by consumer customers.

These comments are USA-specific!! Every market is quite different. In most European markets and the UK the leasing structures, process and benefits are not at all analogous to those of the USA. Further, 'company car programs', where they exist are almost always really good deals for all concerned.

Hence, beware fo generalizations on these subjects. There are many, many regulatory and business practice variables.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know pre market and even early morning prices are not serious indicators, but just for the record - or maybe someone read the split bit and it's moving the needle fast

TSLA.220328.pre.1063.jpg

We know pre market and even early morning prices are not serious indicators, but just for the record - prelude for a rocky week?

Ahh yes....

Tesla short and long term strengths and expectations
- GF Shanghai may be forced to close a couple of days, or maybe not, but there are definitely soon more than enough stocks on the horizon to make up for any lost revenue.
- Fundamentals looking to improve considerably after shareholder meeting, because more stocks.
- There were already way more stocks than cars produced by Tesla, but after the split there will be way, WAY more stocks than cars produced!!

I hope other companies don't catch on!

I guess we are in some pretty serious supply chain issues, Giga Shanghai closing is just the tip of the iceberg. Shanghai is having a pretty hard time dealing with BA.2:

The ports are struggling:

I would expect a lot of supply chain issues. And getting from 3k(conservative chinese figures) to zero with Omicron will not be easy. Even if they manage to get R from 1.5 to 0.25 it will take a long time to get to zero. People in China are hurting a lot:

Like last time this will spread over to US ports. And now we also have Russia and a need to reroute a lot of traffic of oil, gas, coal and other products. Plus Ukraine supply chain issues which already are messing up the German car industry.

Imo we can expect high inflation(higher than CPI if you measure things the rich consume as they have collected most of the newly minted tokens the last decade now fighting the lower supply). It’s gonna be a rough time until China decides to abandon zero covid policy. And given what they have seen in Hong Kong(which is China) I don’t think that will happen until Xi is reelected later this year.
One thing to know about China: there are many states/prefectures in there. And the local government is very strong.
Hong Kong and Shanghai both handled it very poorly. Add nearly no vaccines in there and incompetent government let's it run wild.
In all other prefectures this is totally under control (mostly cases imported from those 2).
Many supplies for western stuff are located in Shenzhen or Guangdong, so think impact on supply chains will be limited. Shanghai is a large export port - but things from mainland could be rerouted to other ports.

Also Shanghai is a bit special socially. Even other Chinese are waidi to them - immigrants that come here to steal work and do crimes. That's why they also don't listen to the central government much (think civil disobedience like not wearing a mask, getting vaccinated,...), just their local one .. that's what is biting them in the butt now. Think about how Texas behaves in the us politics - they always do it "the Texas way" 😉

Last edited:
Interesting how Tesla is being coy in not releasing how many new shares will be {voted on to be} authorized. My personal preference would be one trillion, as that would provide enough leeway for several splits down the road, without being so scary an amount that, say, ten trillion would be in the minds of your average Neanderthal. Or, “unlimited”😁🤔 (no par value).

Last edited: