Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That map is from 2009. Here's the 2016 map.

2016-map_850_blog-3.jpg

New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner

Thanks!!

This is way, way, better. Same question, anyone have apples-apples comparison data for elsewhere around the globe, especially Europe?

“Musk has said a first-quarter net profit is unlikely. Kallo’s estimate of 67,000 first-quarter deliveries, meanwhile, is below FactSet’s consensus; he forecasts a net profit, on an adjusted basis, for the quarter.”

HELLO!

now, where are those screenshots of 55k FactSet consensus posted here a day or two ago?

EDIT: As Karen pointed out this could be a reference to FactSet’s total deliveries. fwiw my Model 3 delivery forecast is 67k, and Kahlo is among the 2-3 most even handed Tesla analysts so my mind apparently saw this as a Model 3 number.

Last edited:
“Musk has said a first-quarter net profit is unlikely. Kallo’s estimate of 67,000 first-quarter deliveries, meanwhile, is below FactSet’s consensus; he forecasts a net profit, on an adjusted basis, for the quarter.”

HELLO!

FactSet's consensus appears to be ~55k Model 3s delivered, 75k total deliveries.

FactSet's consensus appears to be ~55k Model 3s delivered, 75k total deliveries.

Good point, it is also possible that either Kahlo was talking about full deliveries or that MarketWatch mixed his Model 3 projection with FactSet total deliveries... but you’ve helped me correct my interpretation, FactSet stealth revise game already having been played seems least likely of these 3 possibilities to me.

Last edited:
Apparently, my state on average has one of the dirtiest energy mixes in U.S.
A gas car has to have at least 34mpg in CO to have less emissions than an EV with 0.34kwh/mile efficiency.
Nice pic here:
The coal-powered EV myth; Electricity is only as clean as the method to generate it

<equivalence map>

I'm currently driving 2019 Camry rental(and hating it every day) while having my paint fixed on M3, it has 31.2mpg average, so it is worse for one of dirtiest energy mix states.

Edit: looks like the article is 2 y.o. , hopefully the energy mix is getting better, I know Xcel Energy pushes solar a lot lately, seems they had some kind of regulations/targets put on their energy sources.

That's from a very old page. It has a graph using 2009 data and includes the phrase "while coal generates 50% of the electricity in the U.S".
In 2009 44.45% of electricity was generated using coal.
In 2018 27.25% of electricity was generated using coal.
January 2019 saw another fall in coal use compared to 2018, with 28.09% compared to 31.64% a year ago, and 33.48% in 2017.

Total electricity generation rose by 6.51% from 2009 and 2018.
Change in proportions:
Coal: -17.20%
Petroleum liquids: -0.28%
Petroleum coke: -0.12%
Natural gas: +11.58%
Other gas: +0.02%
Nuclear: -1.04%
Hydro: +0.01%
Utility Solar: +1.56%
Wind: +4.66%
Other renewables:+0.13%
Pumped hydro: +(-)0.02%
Other: +0.00%
Small Solar: +0.70%

In other words, since the 2009 data, the grid has become much cleaner, due to a combination of natural gas, wind and solar replacing coal.

Also, note that the figures for carbon intensity of each source of generation change over time. If renewables are becoming much cheaper, there's an implication on energy intensity.

Here's an updated "mpg" map from UCS in 2014:

https://blog.ucsusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/EV-map21.jpg

Here's one that uses 2014 data:

https://plugincars.com/sites/default/files/ev-global-warming-ratings-620_0.jpg

If anybody has ones using more recent data I'd love to see it. From 2014 to 2018, coal's share has dropped by 11.28%, which is a big drop, much bigger than from 2009 to 2014, so I expect you'd see a big difference in the image.

The factset average is 77k. It is right around where I think it will be. But I expect more Model 3s and lower S&X.

Analysts polled by FactSet expect Tesla to deliver 77,000 vehicles in the first quarter, including 55,000 Model 3 sedans. Concerns have swirled that demand for Tesla vehicles are lagging and margins dwindling.

View attachment 391187

SP increased, but we don't see drop in short-interest (yet)...
Isn't that extra risky on the short side? I guess the dumb ones might see this low SP as proof that Tesla is going to go bankrupt or something, but shorting a stock that's already trading at unusual lows seems bananas.

In 2009 44.45% of electricity was generated using coal.
In 2018 27.25% of electricity was generated using coal.
Here is the main thing to focus on.

We need to reduce emission from electricity generating power plants AND from transportation sector. Neither will happen overnight. So,
- We can't wait for the grid to get cleaner before changing from fossil fuel cars to electric cars
- Electric cars keep getting cleaner as the grid gets cleaner, unlike gas cars
- It will take 2 decades to cleanup both the grid and the vehicles
- So, it is important to start the change in both NOW

BTW, check with your utility. Many of them have a "green" option where they buy renewable electricity equivalent to what you use if you pay a small premium (for us it is about 10%).