Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OTA isn't limitless or magical. There are plenty of faults that will still need actual physical work and/or part replacement doing and for those out of warranty, Tesla's labour rates are very high. Also, Tesla SC's are often pretty remote to many and as I've discovered personally, Tesla SC's work quality can be pretty shoddy as well. Quality, trusted, local mechanics being able to help can only be a good thing.
Ot of curiosity how does one find a "...Quality, trusted, local mechanic..."
A few decades back that was not a problem in many places. In 2022 is that still easy? I know of two places that can work on Tesla in the US and one in Croatia. I'm sure there are many others. Tires, alignment many of us already do.

Were there a way to identify capable places many owners, maybe most would choose repair outside Tesla Service Centers.
BEV are quite distinct in that they have different skill sets needed.

Just try your local dealer for service on your non-Tesla and it becomes clear that BEV is a different beast. I may be biased: Since I bought my Volvo BEV there has been one defect that had three dealer visits and still is not fixed, even after factory advice. Minor, to be sure.

Now lot us think about going to a local mechanic generalist for service on a Tesla. It is not so simple as that.
Exotic ICE have the same problems, and they don't have high voltage battery issues.

The enormity of Elon’s latest move is only beginning to sink in for me.

A privately-owned Twitter, controlled by a first principles innovator, could quickly take on Facebook, et. al, and transform all of social media.

Next up: traditional media, Elon’s favorite target for disruption. Twitter under Elon could be a wedge to transform all media.

Which, from there kinda impacts…everything. Including all of Musk’s other missions.

Also following up on the post made in the Options thread, what prevents Tesla from also buying TWTR shares?

This would be in sync with Tesla's mission, since clearly Twitter is an information source and one of the few if not best vs the existing anti Tesla FUD.

Could Twitter be the first to hang on a branch under the x.com tree? 🧐

I just really hope the people who think he won't be selling TSLA to fund this are correct. The last time he sold 😩
Also following up on the post made in the Options thread, what prevents Tesla from also buying TWTR shares?

This would be in sync with Tesla's mission, since clearly Twitter is an information source and one of the few if not best vs the existing anti Tesla FUD.
That would be a bad look. Fudstravaganza.

Additionally, he has a plan, a goal, a mission for humanity that extends beyond your little TSLA shares bubble.
I'd really like to know what the mission is in this case. It's got to be about more than just "Freedom of speech on Twitter". And I think it's obviously about more than just making Twitter more profitable or more useful.

Anyone care to take a guess at how Twitter fits into the overall mission of making the world better? I just don't see "Freedom of speech on Twitter" as something worth the effort.

Hmm... He owns 10%, wants to buy 90%. It will be valued around $43B(correct me if I am wrong). So basically he will have to pay $40B. With 52% taxes that’s $80B. If he sells that much will he crash TSLA to the point that he won’t even be able to afford to complete the deal? Can he buy Twitter and pay with his shares without paying taxes? The idea is not that Tesla shall own Twitter, but that Elon as a private person shall own Twitter, so I assume he must realize the gains…

My guess is Elon is not the only person putting money up in his offer too. There could be a coalition of insiders and outsiders that Elon is just the ~60% ringleader of, that will end in a private company Elon has a controlling share in.

I'd really like to know what the mission is in this case. It's got to be about more than just "Freedom of speech on Twitter". And I think it's obviously about more than just making Twitter more profitable or more useful.

Anyone care to take a guess at how Twitter fits into the overall mission of making the world better? I just don't see "Freedom of speech on Twitter" as something worth the effort.
You can make the argument that social media is destroying civil society with artificial thought bubbles etc.

Elon's mission is to advance the progress for sustainable humanity, so it does fit from that view.

Ot of curiosity how does one find a "...Quality, trusted, local mechanic..."
A few decades back that was not a problem in many places. In 2022 is that still easy? I know of two places that can work on Tesla in the US and one in Croatia. I'm sure there are many others. Tires, alignment many of us already do.

Were there a way to identify capable places many owners, maybe most would choose repair outside Tesla Service Centers.
BEV are quite distinct in that they have different skill sets needed.

Just try your local dealer for service on your non-Tesla and it becomes clear that BEV is a different beast. I may be biased: Since I bought my Volvo BEV there has been one defect that had three dealer visits and still is not fixed, even after factory advice. Minor, to be sure.

Now lot us think about going to a local mechanic generalist for service on a Tesla. It is not so simple as that.
Exotic ICE have the same problems, and they don't have high voltage battery issues.
And just try finding a BEV technician at a dealership. You would think that Nissan dealer would have them given the length of time the Leaf has been out. Pretty much, not possible.

Twitter is just above LinkedIn in monthly visitors.

I enjoy it, but I don't get why you would spend 40B on it, or what it would mean for free speech. If you want free speech, you reach more people with Facebook.

It doesn't. Musk wants degenerate bigots like Alex Jones and Donald Trump back on the platform -- that'll be his first order of business, mark my words.

He hates seeing nazis like Jordan Peterson reap the social consequences of their hatespeech. That's all this is about.

Bring on the downvotes, but every word of this post is dead fact truth -- feel free to check back and see once he's in charge.
This is exactly why we should not be discussing Twitter on this forum, JPR3

Twitter is just above LinkedIn in monthly visitors.

I enjoy it, but I don't get why you would spend 40B on it, or what it would mean for free speech. If you want free speech, you reach more people with Facebook.

Just cause ..
.Freedom of speech
. get rid of trolls and bots which degrades user experience
. limit advertising bias

it's just pocket change for EM anyway ....

May also be a move to protect against misguided AI (see recent Andrej Tweets regarding Tiktok). Taming the social media algorithms that feed confirmation bias. (See also David Brin's book Earth for potential approach (and a good read))
You may have hit upon the deeper reason. If Elon thinks misinformation can be solved with AI then that would indeed be a great gift to humanity.

But it seems like Elon hasn't been talking about that angle. His, "I'm a free speech absolutist" stance seems to run contrary to trying to solve misinformation.

"Finally, by giving everyone a dart gun, social media deputizes everyone to administer justice with no due process. Platforms like Twitter devolve into the Wild West, with no accountability for vigilantes. A successful attack attracts a barrage of likes and follow-on strikes. Enhanced-virality platforms thereby facilitate massive collective punishment for small or imagined offenses, with real-world consequences, including innocent people losing their jobs and being shamed into suicide."

Elon would bring a real guiding force to Twitter and may improve the communication for Tesla. Could this Twitter buyout become a major PR play for Tesla?

It doesn't. Musk wants degenerate bigots like Alex Jones and Donald Trump back on the platform -- that'll be his first order of business, mark my words.

He hates seeing nazis like Jordan Peterson reap the social consequences of their hatespeech. That's all this is about.

Bring on the downvotes, but every word of this post is dead fact truth -- feel free to check back and see once he's in charge.

And the contrarian indicator has spoken. :eek: