Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally!

1650633605504.png

Welcome to Stock Trends Amateur Hour
I hesitate to post this because there's no technical basis (nor fundamental basis) underlying this analysis.
But since I spent a few minutes on it and there's an interesting price movement, I thought I would share it.
Use this info at your own peril.

Q4 was a "so so" quarter. The more recent quarter where Tesla beat expectations was Q3 (a 17% beat).
- Tesla reported Q3 earnings on Oct 20 and you can see that even with a 17% beat, the stock moved just slightly to $909 by Fri Oct 22.
- On Monday Oct 25, the 100k Hertz order was revealed and the stock popped to $1,024 but traded sideways for a couple of days to $1.037 on Wed.
- Then with no news it moved to $1,222 over the next 7 trading days. An 18% move while the NASDAQ was up 5%.
- Volume was very high on Nov 1 & 2 (likely a whale scooping up shares).

Perhaps we see a similar delayed response to this Q1 2022 beat.

1650632940045.png

The media accounts I’ve seen of the Q1 earnings reflect a transformed mindset. The skeptical, uninformed media no longer can ignore the operational and financial success of this company. This media mindset will quickly trickle into the general public. It’s taken far too many years, but our forum’s point of view is now becoming mainstream.

That said, I doubt the media and general public will ever get to the next level of appreciating how vast the opportunity is for Tesla to expand, and so general skepticism over the stock price will be endemic.

Live with it. Profit from it.

Agree.
The new talking point is that although Tesla is very successful and has done a great job, the stock is grossly over-valued and more stock appreciation gains from here are unlikely and perhaps even a drop in share price.

Tesla is entering the 2nd inning but many analysts believe that Tesla is in the 9th inning.

Agree.
The new talking point is that although Tesla is very successful and has done a great job, the stock is grossly over-valued and more stock appreciation gains from here are unlikely and perhaps even a drop in share price.

Tesla is entering the 2nd inning but many analysts believe that Tesla is in the 9th inning.

For reference, Salesforce is at a PE of 120 with sustained 25% growth (vs. Tesla's 136 at 50%+ growth), and I haven't heard anybody screaming that it's wildly overvalued.

In the past the day Yahoo updates the PE the stock has had a bull run. They have updated the day after earnings or several days after in the past. Let’s see.

I think you assign too much influence on Yahoo Finance. And P/E ratios. Yahoo Finance is a joke and that's not how successful investors value growth stocks, especially ultra-high growth stocks.

Who has enough money to move markets? That's right, successful investors. In other words, any correlation between bull runs and Yahoo Finance updating TSLA's P/E ratio is merely a coincidence.

I found it odd that the average TSLA price target on Yahoo was $980 . . . .
. . . . .then I saw that Gordon's $67 PT is taking this average down.
If Yahoo includes Gordon's $67, they should at least include Trip Chowdhry's target of $2,300.

View attachment 796387

Gordon thinks a P/E of ~20x just this quarter’s profit is reasonable…not this quarter annualized, just this quarter.
🤣

I'm sorry to keep posting these CNBC headlines, but this one's just too good.

Don't worry, they clarify that Tesla isn't one of the companies who can't open.....about 80 pages down in the article.

Unreal. Explain to me how this gets past an editor.

View attachment 796325
It does not...the editor came up with that headline :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Welcome to Stock Trends Amateur Hour
I hesitate to post this because there's no technical basis (nor fundamental basis) underlying this analysis.
But since I spent a few minutes on it and there's an interesting price movement, I thought I would share it.
Use this info at your own peril.

Q4 was a "so so" quarter. The more recent quarter where Tesla beat expectations was Q3 (a 17% beat).
- Tesla reported Q3 earnings on Oct 20 and you can see that even with a 17% beat, the stock moved just slightly to $909 by Fri Oct 22.
- On Monday Oct 25, the 100k Hertz order was revealed and the stock popped to $1,024 but traded sideways for a couple of days to $1.037 on Wed.
- Then with no news it moved to $1,222 over the next 7 trading days. An 18% move while the NASDAQ was up 5%.
- Volume was very high on Nov 1 & 2 (likely a whale scooping up shares).

Perhaps we see a similar delayed response to this Q1 2022 beat.

View attachment 796375
I think someone with $ just read your post!

I found it odd that the average TSLA price target on Yahoo was $980 . . . .
. . . . .then I saw that Gordon's $67 PT is taking this average down.
If Yahoo includes Gordon's $67, they should at least include Trip Chowdhry's target of $2,300.

View attachment 796387
Or they should weight the targets by the star-rating of the "analysts".