Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To play devils advocate, he could have took the board seat on twitter and likely avoided getting banned. Initially, I thought this was his reason for buying twitter shares and joining the board.

A seat on the board does not confer hardly any power in and of itself. I think that would have created more problems than it solved.

Here: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=stonk,stocks,tesla

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.01.23 AM.png

No, I'm talking about the way so many people seem to put so much importance on the day to day moves of the share price when it simply doesn't matter in the bigger picture. And it's obvious that peoples mood is strongly impacted by these meaningless moves because you can see the anger and resentment come out in their posts when the price drops for no fundamental reason and elation when it goes up.

I'm not saying I don't feel good when the price hits new all-time highs or I see a good short-burn unfolding, I'm just surprised how normal daily moves tend to jerk peoples emotions around uncontrollably on a day to day basis.
:Start Rant:

We all try to be good investors, which means putting emotion aside and putting our money/time into something that is financially beneficial to us. However this is a constant battle for anyone that is not on a spectrum of mental state that therefore doesn't process emotions as much or at all. We all struggle and sometimes it's closer to the surface than others. That's all. I'm willing to bet everyone here had a smile on their face when the stock jumped from 790 to ATH in a short period of time last fall. That's the same emotion, doesn't change our analysis of the fundamentals but it's our emotions near the surface. Sometimes you need to process those out loud too, otherwise keeping them bottled in will cause you to make a bad financial decision.

:End Rant:

He sold like 8.4 billion dollars given the Thursday sales (and that assumes there's no more thursday-sale form 4s coming- those could come as late as Monday)-- and if he sold some of his recently acquired shares he'll pay little to no taxes on them at all since the basis price is already going to be quite close to the sale price.

Yeah, proxy statement by May 2, which could have full deep details on everything to do with the split, or almost no details at all other than some on the fact they intend to have a vote on adding to the authorized share total. The split could be entirely separate from that and requires no additional shareholder approval once the authorized shares are approved.

Good point on taxes.

On the proxy statement, Tesla still hasn't filed a preliminary proxy statement (they are confidential only other limited circumstances like a pending merger or acquisition). Seems like they already blew past the 120 day limit given that preliminary statements need to be filed at least 10 days before definitive.

10-K language seems to suggest the definitive will be filed.

Given all that, I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't file anything Monday. If they only file the preliminary, we likely won't have numerical detail since they can blank that out in a Pre 14A.

To play devils advocate, he could have took the board seat on twitter and likely avoided getting banned. Initially, I thought this was his reason for buying twitter shares and joining the board.
I don't think his 9% stake would have kept him from being banned. The rest of the board didn't hold much stock and they would be pressured to just take the hit.

Protection of his Twitter account might have crossed Elon's mind but I don't think it was a real factor in acquiring the company.

OT:

April 29 Falcon 9 • Starlink 4-16
Launch time: 2127:10 GMT (5:27:10 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida

What's notable about this Mission? This particular Booster also launched the AX-1 Mission on Apr 08, 2022. That's a remarkable 21-day turn-around, and the 9th flight for this booster. :D

Well done, SpaceX!

Last edited:
Good point on taxes.

On the proxy statement, Tesla still hasn't filed a preliminary proxy statement (they are confidential only other limited circumstances like a pending merger or acquisition). Seems like they already blew past the 120 day limit given that preliminary statements need to be filed at least 10 days before definitive.

10-K language seems to suggest the definitive will be filed.

Given all that, I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't file anything Monday. If they only file the preliminary, we likely won't have numerical detail since they can blank that out in a Pre 14A.
Someone is trying to have a vote put in that would let stockholders decide whether Tesla should be forced to sell their Bitcoin, and never buy it again. Tesla is opposed to this, obviously. Everyone is waiting for the SEC to decide whether this should be voted on.

I would post a link to the filing, but I won't. This is someone we know.

One of the advantages of being relatively poor, middle class, and rich all in a single lifetime is you get to experience the different ways in which you are viewed and treated by others. Arguably more importantly, you also get to experience how you personally change.

Being on the richer end of things in this phase of life and needing to deal with new issues, new people and the like, while I don’t have video, photographic or written evidence of what went on behind the scenes this week, I’m quite confident it went down pretty close to how I described it. It’s how it’s generally done at that level.
I still think you should buy an island...

Someone is trying to have a vote put in that would let stockholders decide whether Tesla should be forced to sell their Bitcoin, and never buy it again. Tesla is opposed to this, obviously. Everyone is waiting for the SEC to decide whether this should be voted on.

Is it really up to the SEC to decide on if a shareholder proposal is voted on or not?

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. You could post a link to the SEC filing, but you won't? LOL!

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Good points! Elon is spending his own personal money to de-risk Tesla by ensuring continuity of their primary advertising platform. The value of Twitter to Tesla is at least a few billion dollars (and a lot more if things play out how most of us suspect).

If Elon had lost his Twitter account at some time in the future, the same people who are currently telling us it's "stupid" for Elon to disrupt TSLA like this to play shenanigans with Twitter, would be telling us that Twitter was such a valuable no-cost source of advertising for Tesla that it was negligent for Tesla to not simply buy it to ensure continued access. That it was likely that Elon would eventually get banned and yet nothing was done to prevent it.

Yes, and to be clear, there are many things that a group of Twitter employees can do that minimize Musk's and therefore Tesla's reach, well short of kicking him off the platform or giving him a time out. Some of these things may even be inadvertent or done to protect advertisers, the ultimate customer in Twitter's business model pre-Musk takeover. Some of these things may be excessive recommendations in feeds that crowd out Musk's message.

As one example, I have noticed that sometimes Musk's tweets do not show up in my feed. I have to go to Tweetdeck to get my unabridged Musk Channel.

Last edited:
Two minor, but somewhat interesting to me, unrelated thoughts to add to the Elon sale that I hadn't seen mentioned yet.

- Elon has really only raised between $5.5 and $6.5 billion to fund his Twitter purchase. At the very least he owes 23.8% federal capital gains tax and he likely still owes some amount of California income tax on the sale (if he was determined fully subject to CA tax, he'd owe CA 13.3%).

- This sale increases TSLA's float! That means that index buyers (funds and other institutions) will have to increase their ownership of TSLA when rebalancing comes around. I haven't seen a very good estimate of the ownership level, but I'd guess somewhere between 15-45% of TSLA's float is held by passive investors. Those passive investors haven't bought yet (since they need to wait on rebalancing). But, they'll be there when it happens.

Not true. If he sold shares that he recently acquired from his latest trach of options, IIRC those were exercised at or above the current prices he sold at. He may actually have a bookable loss he can use to offset taxes.

Agreed about the float, but it's not that large an increase.