Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy to say. Now, how do you implement. The decryption key (or a key to decrypt the key ;)) has to be stored somewhere or entered by the user. Also note that encryption is fast on your computer -- thanks to custom support in hardware. The iPhone has similar. Is this the case for the hardware used in a Tesla? Other vehicles? How is key management handled? Key exchanges? Authentication?

In the case at hand, how is encryption supposed to solve the problem? For mobile data the general idea is to encrypt with a key, and then encrypt the key with a secret (say, a password). "Wiping" the device is achieved by erasing the encrypted key -- very fast. This can work (to a point) even if it is not an encrypted key but the encryption key itself.

I'm not suggesting it isn't solvable or that it shouldn't be solved -- but it isn't as easy as saying "just encrypt it."

Tesla need a "reset to factory" option available from the app that would wipe all personal data, well over-write with 0's.

Apple's encryption works because you're forced to have a PIN, fingerprint of Face-ID, hack any of these and your encryption is worthless. So perhaps Tesla can force the PIN and allow 10x entry before wiping personal.

I don't know, I'm not even a novice in this area.

For some reason I spent some time on the old school car magazine sites to see what they have been writing about Tesla.

I’m kind of, but maybe not really, surprised that it is pretty negative given the reviews they were giving a few years ago for the S.

In truth if you look around a California neighborhood there are three early purchasers of the 3 - the performance neighbors, the tech neighbor and the efficient / environmental neighbor.

Both knowledgeable and passionate, as well as evangelical.

The efficient / environment neighbor (upgrading from the Prius or [insert Japanese hybrid here]) to tell you about how much more advanced, efficient and cheaper Tesla’s are to own and operate. The tech neighbor to tell you that this is what the future is bringing you, and the performance neighbor to tell you about how insane the performance is.

Of course few neighborhoods are a$$h@l3 free so of course there is some jackass telling you that your other friends are completely delusional.

From what I see the Model 3 is rapidly accelerating this transition. Once the Y is at this stage it will mass extinction time for the auto industry. Including the crappy old school magazines.

The 2 SRs could have been bought for analysis or reverse engineering by the other car makers or people like Sandy Munro.

One of them was confirmed to have been upsold an SR+ - I bet the other too.

I.e. Tesla probably only delivered SR's with the plus option in Q1. Which makes sense.

Last edited:
My reality? It's not my reality it's what I hear from other people but if you think it's not true I will be sure to let them know they are wrong.
No one denied that some (potential) buyers have these concerns. People here deny these concerns are valid or real. You seem to be oh so "very concerned" yourself. Almost like you are concern troll.

My european broker just sent an e-mail that they are downgrading TSLA from b to c category. Means higher margin requirements, but its a bit unclear how much. Downgrade will happen on apr 4th.

Now is this downgrade due to people being excessively long or excessively short ?
Inquiring minds want to know !

Any past history of other stocks that had a high shorting rate and had margin requirements changed ?

EDIT: Any short borrowing interest rate changes ?

Last edited:
Reactions: lklundin