Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's some nice sales comparisons in the summary and charts in that report. I refer people to these when they bash the environment on Tesla. It's so opposite what others "hear" on the street, but people are getting wise-r now. Birds are real afterall ;)

Most Efficient Vehicles:

View attachment 801203

And this one deserves a some recognition - seems most had better EV sales in 2021.

View attachment 801204

No worries, riding it out...
Wow! Just look at the lead GM has....over Toyota.

Is VW "really" selling as many EVs as they claim? Perhaps it's where I live, but I really take notice when I see an ID.x around. They are only slightly more prevalent than unicorns around here.
They are pretty common in Europe.
Last year on holiday I saw for the first time a non-Tesla EV outside it’s home country: it was a Dutch ID3 (IIRC) in Germany.

On this final point I must disagree with you. When dealing with matters of fact it is crucial to have all sides of an argument share comment factual data. In this situation we do have demonstrable facts.

In this case, the poster to whom you responded was factually incorrect. No room for opinion, hence no need to 'agree to disagree'.

Obviously I others strongly agree with you post. The evidence is overwhelming.

If I judge that my time is not being well spent, I may "agree to disagree" with a poster who either cannot see what should be obvious or who (more likely) is playing Devil's advocate to try to cast doubt and tarnish Elon's image (and the value of TSLA stock) by portraying Elon as someone who is dumping TSLA shares because he secretly knows they will soon be worthless. I am not obligated to debate what should be obvious, namely that Elon's TSLA sales are not designed to maximize future value but are to enable him to spread his wings and no longer be cash poor and in debt to Wall Street (margin loans).

It's not clear what you are disagreeing with me on. It sure sounds like you are saying it is not my right to "agree to disagree" rather than debate the uninteresting. And I find those who question Elon's motives in selling TSLA shares very uninteresting. Sometimes the truth is so obvious there is no point in debating it with people who see it differently. Just because a person is correct does not mean they are obligated to debate. This is what "agreeing to disagree" means.

If you insist that Apollo did not actually land on the moon, that it was all staged in the Arizona desert, I will "agree to disagree" even though your position would be factually incorrect.

Me either. It just feels bad right now, like there's this apprehension over the entire market, even with companies beating estimates and doing very well.
When my dad was teaching me about investing back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, he said when interest rates go up stocks go down, when interest rates go down stocks go up. To my mind this is no biggie, and expected.

The Brazilian miner said in a securities filing that the agreement involves supplying Tesla with low-carbon class 1 nickel and is in line with its strategy of increasing its exposure to the electric vehicle industry.

What the heck is "low-carbon class 1 nickel"?
Is that like high class nickel? Mining trucks with regen for energy efficiency?
Coming soon - Clean Nickel vs Clean Carbon.

(Edit: Something tells me it's the carbon in the Nickel and lower is more pure.)

Reactions: Nocturnal
So Square/Block posts earnings where revenue
This is not my forecast for Q2 - I'm trying to model some numbers based on your post.
I'm arriving at a lower number for Shanghai. I have 132,800. Let me know where my math or assumptions are off. I'm assuming 6 day work weeks.
The 3rd month of June for Shanghai seems low with 67,600; if the supply chain for parts is fine for June, I think Shanghai should be well above 70,000 units (that would be more than 2,600 per day).
The modeling below shows Q2 below Q1 by 12,807 units. Tesla will need more production from Shanghai in June and higher production from Berlin and Austin to meet the Q1 production numbers.

View attachment 801169

Edit: I ran a manufacturing site for 3 years that supported a $12B business (yes, I was not only an accountant). When you have a motivated workforce, they can take production to unimaginable levels when a crisis is on hand. I think Tesla's line workers will see this as a challenge and will rise to the occasion to surprise all of us.
I don't see June averaging 2,600/day though. Tesla stated they expect Shanghai to reach new production levels in Q2 and given the information we've heard about the expansion of Shanghai reaching 90,000 monthly production in the relatively near future, I expect to see June in the 75,000-80,000 range, possibly slightly above the 80,000 number.

I also expect a much bigger increase in S/X in Q2 given the anecdotal evidence of S/X production reaching new levels, opening up orders to Canada, and a floor of reservation holders getting Vins. So maybe 18,000-20,000 S/X deliveries.

Last edited:
The megarise to $1350-1550 will be fueled at stage 1 by FOMO. I don't see anyone...... ANYONE fearful of missing out on ANYTHING right now.

That can change in an instant once the bottom is found and the outlook clears up. An open China and Russia back to just pumping oil should do it.
Might be triggered by data showing inflation has peaked/begun to drop.

This is a really good bit of data.

If I judge that my time is not being well spent, I may "agree to disagree" with a poster who either cannot see what should be obvious or who (more likely) is playing Devil's advocate to try to cast doubt and tarnish Elon's image (and the value of TSLA stock) by portraying Elon as someone who is dumping TSLA shares because he secretly knows they will soon be worthless. I am not obligated to debate what should be obvious, namely that Elon's TSLA sales are not designed to maximize future value but are to enable him to spread his wings and no longer be cash poor and in debt to Wall Street (margin loans).

It's not clear what you are disagreeing with me on. It sure sounds like you are saying it is not my right to "agree to disagree" rather than debate the uninteresting. And I find those who question Elon's motives in selling TSLA shares very uninteresting. Sometimes the truth is so obvious there is no point in debating it with people who see it differently. Just because a person is correct does not mean they are obligated to debate. This is what "agreeing to disagree" means.

If you insist that Apollo did not actually land on the moon, that it was all staged in the Arizona desert, I will "agree to disagree" even though your position would be factually incorrect.
It appears I may be more obstreperous than are you.😔 Some have said that from time to time I may tend to be rigid in that respect. Your approach is worthy of respect, even from someone as doctrinaire as I may be.

What the heck is "low-carbon class 1 nickel"?
Is that like high class nickel? Mining trucks with regen for energy efficiency?
Coming soon - Clean Nickel vs Clean Carbon.

(Edit: Something tells me it's the carbon in the Nickel and lower is more pure.)
It's related to the amount of energy needed to produce it:

Vale said:
Long Harbour rounds had a carbon footprint of 4.4 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per tonne of nickel in 2020, the last complete year for which figures are available. That compares with the Nickel Institute average for Class 1 nickel of 13 tonnes CO2 equivalent and 45 tonnes for Class 2.

Just to name three highly specific benefits:
1. inconel proprietary to SpaceX enables better battery temperature management that produced Ludicrous speed.
2. SpaceX proprietary aluminum allow that enables Gigapress operation volumes.
3. Tesla motors enabled easy cheap grid fin operation on Falcon 9 that facilitates first stage recovery.

OK, I have to ask about #2.

On the most recent call, Tesla said they were taking scrap aluminum, including that from ICE wheels, and melting it down and feeding it back into the production process.

That didn't sound compatible to me with the special proprietary formulation making the Gigapress possible/better. How can they achieve the special formulation when feeding it with random melted scrap?

What am I missing?

I don't see June averaging 2,600/day though. Tesla stated they expect Shanghai to reach new production levels in Q2 and given the information we've heard about the expansion of Shanghai reaching 90,000 monthly production in the relatively near future, I expect to see June in the 75,000-80,000 range, possibly slightly above the 80,000 number.

I also expect a much bigger increase in S/X in Q2 given the anecdotal evidence of S/X production reaching new levels, opening up orders to Canada, and a floor of reservation holders getting Vins. So maybe 18,000-20,000 S/X deliveries.
What are you thoughts on Austin and Berlin for Q2?

Shanghai's numbers at launch:
2,600 - Jan 2020
3,900 - Feb 2020
10,200 - Mar 2020
16,700 - Total Q1 2020

As you can see, month #3 is where we saw a step-change in production. We need to see Austin and Berlin humming in June.

Job growth above the rate of overall economic growth is actually pretty bad, because it implies negative productivity growth.

Productivity growth is essentially the cornerstone of a growing standard of living.

Productivity should naturally follow job growth, not happen concurrently and the COVID disruption should amplify that by shaking things up.

But the really odd thing about TSLA's low valuation is the state of the economy does not dictate Tesla's growth rate in the typical sense and should have a less impact on its valuation for that reason. But investors are not the sharpest pencils in the box (even if they have most of the money). Never confuse money with intelligence. Yes, there is a correlation, but it is not as strong as most people with money like to believe. :oops: