Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed on the way up, your car actually caught up to a slow moving minivan ahead (which was crossing the middle line on most turns). In fact at 20:45, another SUV ahead of you pulled out to give you way. :)

I was thinking FSD would be way slow and hesitant causing a huge backup.

Q: what is the disengagement at 26:50?

Some of the turns were so tight that it briefly came to a stop to check visibility and in a few cases, put the turn signal on :)

The disengagement at 26:50 is one of a couple of accidental disengagements due to holding the wheel a bit too tightly. See the video description for the list.

Some of the turns were so tight that it briefly came to a stop to check visibility and in a few cases, put the turn signal on :)

The disengagement at 26:50 is one of a couple of accidental disengagements due to holding the wheel a bit too tightly. See the video description for the list.
"Pro Tip" If you are on windy roads and you can move the speed/ follow distance wheel to get rid of/ avoid seeing the nag. I tend to do this on windy roads more than nudge the wheel so I don't disengage by mistake. Just tick cruise speed down one then back up every 20 seconds or when the warning pings.

(Or maybe no-so-pro tip)

Last edited:
Apple will never move manufacturing out of China. At this point China is basically the contract manufacturing industry for the world's electronics.

100% of the world's phones, laptops, TV's, tablets, video game consoles, and every other consumer electronics product is made in China, or close enough (99.999%) to be rounding error for Other. And that isn't going to change as long as Tim Apple remains CEO and there's no reason that Tim Apple will stop being CEO while Apple is making record profits every single quarter.

I personally find that the West's complete dependence on China for their tech gadgets is quietly terrifying but just as with Europe and Russian energy, no one in the West will do anything about it until there is an actual crisis at hand.

Wut? China does not manufacture 100% of the world's phones, laptops, TV's, tablets, etc.

Just for example Samsung (Korea, not China), holds a 23% world market share of smartphones, versus Apple's 18%.

Yes, Apple is 100% married to China right now. And various analysts are predicting that they are going to go through bumpy times because of it.

Another example, semiconductors. China is way behind in manufacturing semiconductors for even its own domestic consumption, let alone export. Taiwan, Korea and the US are where the chips are primarily manufactured with more plants being built in those locations every year.

And we aren't doing nothing about our reliance on other Chinese manufactured items. It'll just take 10 years or so to move/build new plants.

Last edited:
Depends on whether they show something live to attendees, like the latest Cybertruck iteration, Roadster, or whatever. I wouldn't attend unless I was local. Even then, I'd probably skip it and just watch the stream.
The stream is usually audio/presentation only, not live video. They did have cars on display at the Computer Museum a few times, but I gather this time it's at Giga Texas.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Depends on whether they show something live to attendees, like the latest Cybertruck iteration, Roadster, or whatever. I wouldn't attend unless I was local. Even then, I'd probably skip it and just watch the stream.

The stream is usually audio/presentation only, not live video. They did have cars on display at the Computer Museum a few times, but I gather this time it's at Giga Texas.

I'm about 7 states away, not worth the effort unless it's something a little special.

Berkshire has a big event with discounts, product offers, a picnic...

Pixar used to have give-aways, I still have a cool Cars poster.

Bummer than nobody seems to hang on to shareholder perks. A Tesla shareholders discount or would be rad or just the ability to show up a get a car day of the event.

The annual meeting has always had live streaming video, at least for the past few years... (The quarterly earnings calls are audio only.)

Q: What makes you say that? I can see arguments both ways:
  • The CT requires greater rigidity and impact resistance than a smaller road car = No structural pack
  • Structural pack is the optimal Tesla design for all new vehicles = yes structural pack
Have we any other indicators?
CT I am not sure sure if it will have a structural pack.

Semi I expect to have a strong frame and force loads might be too high for a structural pack to work. But I could be wrong.

One part of the 4680 ramp is a manual process which is tricky to master.

They showed yield rates for various lines at Kato Rd sometime ago, one line with very poor yields was new staff for the Austin lines training.

It is likely that the process needs, vision, dexterity, speed, timing and concentration.

I had a thought last night, why not try to train Optimus to do this job?

It is likely that the speed, concertration and fatigue are no issue for Optimus.

Sure this is a tough challenge, but it will stretch the boundaries of what Optimus is capable of.

The advantages in terms of ramping cell production at new factories are odvious.

You've just restored my faith in markets. And made my day :)
Not sure if you'd seen this or not.

They are pushing hard to increase their share count by 25%. While it doesn't say it explicitly here, it sounds like this is to be for a secondary offering.

Though I suppose it's possible they need more than 33 million shares for employee compensation. Either way, they are looking for roughly a billion dollars of play money. Seems odd to me that the board is having to push this hard to get this authorized. Maybe some of their big investors are pushing back on this?

They are pushing hard to increase their share count by 25%. While it doesn't say it explicitly here, it sounds like this is to be for a secondary offering.

Though I suppose it's possible they need more than 33 million shares for employee compensation. Either way, they are looking for roughly a billion dollars of play money. Seems odd to me that the board is having to push this hard to get this authorized. Maybe some of their big investors are pushing back on this?

Thanks, yeah, just another screw up by Nikola. They need to raise a ton of cash and they've already allocated so many shares, they have to go back and get more authorized. This should have been done when the stock price was $50, not when it's $5! The much abused shareholders may not be in a mood to vote for this.

Reactions: Ogre
Me thinks that Elon/Tesla have been sandbagging things lately. Everybody, this forum included, expects The end of the world and gloom.

I expect a positive surprise. I am often a minority.
It's my opinion that each quarter several people start hyping the numbers and claiming Elon is sandbagging. Then those people are disappointed when the numbers are inline with Tesla's guidance.

I hope you're right, but I'm setting my expectations for Q2 low.

I'm about 7 states away, not worth the effort unless it's something a little special.

Berkshire has a big event with discounts, product offers, a picnic...

Pixar used to have give-aways, I still have a cool Cars poster.

Bummer than nobody seems to hang on to shareholder perks. A Tesla shareholders discount or would be rad or just the ability to show up a get a car day of the event.
Tesla doesn't do for you, you do for Tesla.

Tesla is like that high maintenance girlfriend. You'd like to dump her sometimes but she's just too damn hot.