Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you waiting to buy your Tesla thinking pricing will drop, case in point:
Back in 2012 I could have bought a new MS for $49,900 CAD. Today, the least expensive new MS from Tesla is $114,800 CAD.
Mind you back in 2012 that was for a 40kwH battery and CAD to USD parity.

It would not surprise me at all if the prices for M3 hold their value or continue to rise once people see the value of the best vehicle in the World.

Back in 1984, I had a neighbour that bought a new Honda Prelude, when Honda was considered a inferior compared with the US Domestic Autos. Well, three years later he sold it for more than what he originally paid for his car. Fast forward to today and Tesla.

And in 1971 I proudly bought a new Vega, Motor Trend's Car of the Year with a technologically advanced aluminum block (they said). I thought the price was good, but it didn't hold it's value as you might have guessed.

S's and X's don't hold their value, but I agree the 3 seems likely to do better for a while.

Unrelated, did people see the teaser image of the new VW SUV to debut 2 weeks from today? The image suggests suicide doors (I hope they're not FWD).

DB2019AU00470_large.jpg

Is there good reason to think the Canadian gov is designing a program that would purposely exclude Tesla? or is it more to encourage a broader base of growth for other manufacturers that aren't as far along? or perhaps based on an estimated cost to the Canadian treasury given the number of (Tesla) cars they think would qualify? I mean, we're used to the U.S. gov being anti-green (at least much of the rhetoric from DC is) but you Canucks are supposed to be progressive... ; )
THIS

All good, except Gov't of Canada has put a price cap limit which excludes all vehicles over $45,000 CAD.
How much is a base M3 in Canada? $47,600 CAD. So no Tesla vehicles qualify for the $5,000 rebate.
This is no different than Volkswagon lobbying German Gov't to exclude all EVs greater in length than three inches less than that of the M3.
It is intentional, both a swipe at Tesla, no doubt.
2019 Federal Budget Includes Rebate for Electric Vehicles – WHEELS.ca

Meanwhile at home on the Canadian frontier....
Report on climate change shows Canada warming at twice the rate of rest of world
Canada warming at twice the global rate, climate report finds
Climate change is warming Canada at a rate twice as fast as the global average, federal report warns
Initially upon hearing of those gerrymandered policies, I was incensed. How blatantly obvious can you be to further hinder Tesla's success? If there wasn't irrefutable proof, it would reek of conspiracy. But then when you think about the committee's tasked with a mission to make EV's attractive, it's somewhat a badge of honor that they have to come up with all these little loopholes to exclude Tesla as demand isn't a problem they have.
It's like having that kid in Pop Warner football that scores every time they give him the ball. Nobody on the opposing teams can stop him. His team is undefeated. So to make it fair, they make him carry a lemur on his back while wearing high heels. He still kicks their ass.
lemur.jpg

Question... for Europe might registrations understate actual deliveries?

For instance, if someone got their delivery this weekend but the registration office was closed until monday, which is then no longer March?

Delivery could count as Q1 even though it's not registered until april.

No, in general a car will be registered before it is delivered. Technically you don't need to (let's say you buy the car only to tear it down and never drive it on the public road) but Tesla assumes every sale is for a regular customer who just wants to drive the thing. If there is any divergence, it's rather the other way around. For example in The Netherlands Tesla registers a car one day before delivery. So it is possible that a car is registered and then that the regular buyer didn't show up for some reason or refused delivery. If that happened in the last few days it may have been too late for Tesla to find another buyer and hence a registration without a delivery. But I don't see how this could be more than 1% of the total.

Does TSLA/(or 3rd party) have an option to sue? Has something similar happened in the past in one of the provinces?
All the lawsuits about countries in NAFTA violating corporate rights to pollute and treat their employees like slaves, would be karma to have Tesla sue because they are being hindered from making the world a better place.

If Tesla reports really good delivery numbers and very little in transit or inventory (essentially nullifying their earlier warnings), would that be considered misleading? And what about if they say that they are going to report a profit now? Would investors or even shorts have a grievance right, saying that Tesla should have warned them (so that they wouldn't have sold or that they could buy back their shares and/or cover their shorts)? I know it kinda sounds like a silly question, but I'm seriously asking. Anybody with more knowledge on securities law? (Not that I would complain, but just wondering whether others would have a right to.)

I'm just shocked.

The cental driver position is perfect for a delivery truck.
View attachment 392971
UPS Switches On Smart Grid In London To Super-Charge Electric Delivery Fleet
UPS is a trend setter. Switch all your parcel delivery to UPS. I've added the bold.
"PS has a long history with EVs, having first introduced them into its fleet in the 1930s, and, reintroduced modern EVs in 2001. Currently, UPS has more than 300 electric vehicles and nearly 700 hybrid electric vehicles deployed in Europe and the U.S. The company recently ordered 125 new fully-electric Semi tractors to be built by Tesla in 2019, one of the largest pre-orders to date. Additionally, last September, UPS announced it will become the first commercial customer in the U.S. to start using three medium-duty electric trucks from Daimler Trucks Fuso brand, called the eCanter."

I'm not sure what brand of truck is in that photo jhm, however UPS is also working with Thor and other electric vehicle companies.
UPS partners with startup Thor to build two new electric trucks

If Tesla reports really good delivery numbers and very little in transit or inventory (essentially nullifying their earlier warnings), would that be considered misleading? And what about if they say that they are going to report a profit now? Would investors or even shorts have a grievance right, saying that Tesla should have warned them (so that they wouldn't have sold or that they could buy back their shares and/or cover their shorts)? I know it kinda sounds like a silly question, but I'm seriously asking. Anybody with more knowledge on securities law? (Not that I would complain, but just wondering whether others would have a right to.)

Pull up the actual quote you allude to, and you will have answered yourself.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wnuk
Is there good reason to think the Canadian gov is designing a program that would purposely exclude Tesla? or is it more to encourage a broader base of growth for other manufacturers that aren't as far along? or perhaps based on an estimated cost to the Canadian treasury given the number of cars they think would qualify? I mean, we're used to the U.S. gov being anti-green (at least much of the rhetoric from DC is) but you Canucks are supposed to be progressive... ; )

I think making a subsidy only available for lower cost EVs means the subsidy can be larger, and helps drive an increase in lower cost EVs on both the demand and supply side. After all those that are in the market for a luxury EV (S or X) likely won’t change their purchase decision because they don’t qualify for the subsidy, but those that are looking at a new $40k car it makes a huge difference.

I would fully expect Tesla to offer a version of the model 3 SR that sits just under the limit, with software locked upgrades available post purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: skybluecgreen