Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear that production at scale is actually the easy part.
GM likes to scale up the number of models rather than the number of vehicles sold. By focusing on breadth rather than scale, GM can differentiate themselves from Tesla’s scale-first production model. Having 30+ models to discuss shows how deeply committed they are to this concept. It’s more than 5x the number of Models Tesla has discussed.

Also, they have 4 brands of EVs in the works: Hummer, Cadillac, Chevy, and Buick. That’s 4 brands where Tesla only has 1. That’s 4x the number of brands Tesla has.

With 5x the number of models and 4x the number of brands, that’s like a 20x advantage…. Almost exactly matching the 20x production advantage Tesla has. It’s sheer geniu/s.

That is certainly the quick and cheap thing to do, but it sets a precedent for future litigation. “Tesla accepted blame for part of the damage so the should accept blame for this lawsuit too.”

I understand that, but by any reasonable argument there is some blame. A Tesla tech DID remove the speed limiter on the car at the child's request, without contacting the parents first. That's hard to defend against.

That is certainly the quick and cheap thing to do, but it sets a precedent for future litigation. “Tesla accepted blame for part of the damage so the should accept blame for this lawsuit too.”
Losing a lawsuit is not accepting blame. It just means you lost a lawsuit. It’s not like Tesla entered a plea here.

Who needs too actually produce vehicles in quantity, just keep promising as apparently that is winning.
I swear GM has more upcoming EVs than actual production any given month.
I understand that, but by any reasonable argument there is some blame. A Tesla tech DID remove the speed limiter on the car at the child's request, without contacting the parents first. That's hard to defend against.
He was 18, not a child. The Mom added the limiter after he got a ticket for 112 in a 50. He should have lost his license and the car for that.

There's zero fear on Wall St when it comes to TSLA and it's not hard to see why.

The implied move after earnings is 9%.........so all Wall St does it affectively cap TSLA the day before to make it underperform it's beta by a huge amount on a big macro up day.

Let me guess....Tesla beats earnings in a big way......stock goes up 10% on Thursday morning but macros, having just had a big up days earlier in the week...pull back and TSLA slowly gets walked down all day to end up just where we started at the beginning of the week.

Now where have I seen this before?

I'm not sure why you'd assume that. I can't say I've worked with molds the size of what the Gigacasting machines use, but in a great many plants, large injection molds, as well as die casting molds, are changed regularly. "Quick die change" (or mold change as the case may be) is a fundamental part of high-volume manufacturing. It's been nearly 40 years since I worked at GM, but even then, a mold in a 1000 ton injection mold machine would be changed in well under an hour. That was before the whole "quick change" model was empathized; I'm sure things are a lot more refined these days.
A die/mould change can be done, but one wants to minimise the amount of them that are called for. On the technical side it takes time to perform the change, then time to get the parts in-spec, all of which is downtime. On the commercial side there is the necessity to build-ahead enough diecast stock to last the line through until the next time a diechange is done and the part runs again. When we were all discussing this a couple of years ago (or whenever it was) I played around with some numbers and could convince myself that it all reached balance at perhaps 250k/yr, but definitely by 500k/yr. Clearly it is attractive for companies with smaller lines to try to find ways to shift the technical and economic limits downwards, if they are not to be forced into concentrating production at fewer/larger sites. Legacy-auto has to fight fires on so many fronts right now that I wonder if they can do it all.

But Tesla did allow a non owner to remove a speed limitation. The right thing to do is to accept a small portion of the blame for the catastrophic consequences. I predict they will pay this.

Regardless of this result, Tesla will continue to be named in every lawsuit. This is how it works. Their culpability in this case would only be transferable if they did similar stupid actions regarding software and direction from non-owners.

I
wonderful but weird - looking at the supercharger map on Teslas page doesn't show any superchargers west of Chengdu let alone close to Mount Everest .... I know Tesla is sometimes building SuCs that are not on the map yet, but it looks like wasteland here
View attachment 830089

View attachment 830093
I want to make a drive to Denali National Park from Seattle some day. Is it possible and has anyone done it yet?

• Love
Reactions: wtlloyd and JustMe