Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bullish

1658254103332.png

First rivian sighting in Central FL! However its on a tow truck....

Nearest service station looks to be in Houston Texas so I have no idea where it's being towed to...maybe port Canaveral? Like I said, you must be out of your mind to buy from these newcomers without that infrastructure.

Attachments

• 20220719_140940.jpg
    20220719_140940.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 66
At what point do all these "typos" start to look more like a revenue stream? Reuters today.....

Analysts also expect an adjusted profit of $1.86 per share, a 42% slump from a year ago, according to Refinitiv data.

That's strange. I don't even remember us printing $3+ per share in 2Q21!

I must be getting loopy in my old age. Financial analysts and world class business journalists are rarely wrong.

Except if the 99% of responsibility were on the family how would they pay themselves damages?
More important-they have to pay 99% of the lawyer's fee-I assume. In liability cases, don't lawyers typically work on a contingency where they get 1/3 (or some percentage) of the settlement? Seems like the family and the lawyers were greedy and going after Tesla's "deep pockets", and now they are determined primarily responsible. After they already knew their child wasn't driving responsibly and yet allowed him to use the car again. Would be interesting if the family is forced to pony up 1/3 (-1%) of the lawyer's fees. Might take away some of the greed of those considering such suits. Unlikely, but one can hope.

Say did not like me here so didn’t work for me. I’ll play with it later.

I’m curious what the advantage of doing this is here. Shareholder perks (discounts, special items in the store, preferred shipping on Cybertruck) would be rad. Probably not, but one can hope. Likely it’s just for simplifying things like the proxy vote and getting into shareholder events.
As Canadian, my brokerage accounts (both TD Direct Investing as well as Wealthsimple Trade) are not supported to connect to Say. I have manually submitted my broakerage statement for share holder manual review process. All it was asking me to enter is number of shares and upload a statement in PDF format.

1658256707577.png

At what point do all these "typos" start to look more like a revenue stream? Reuters today.....

That's strange. I don't even remember us printing $3+ per share in 2Q21!

I must be getting loopy in my old age. Financial analysts and world class business journalists are rarely wrong.
I think they are saying that, a year ago, Q2's estimated EPS was $3.21, and $1.86 is 58% (42% slump) of that.

another lawsuit, this time in Berlin by German "consumer group" vzbv

alleges Tesla:

- untruthful about CO2 impact as it sells carbon credits to other manufacturers allowing them to pollute
- does not tell buyers they must comply with European data regulations when using Sentry mode

CO2 claim is odd, as in reality all it does is pay Tesla rather than face government fines, credits do not increase/decrease CO2 just adjust the direction and amount of fines.

data regs should be easily dealt with in the small print I would guess.

🤷‍♂️
This "consumer group" got the CO2 impact totally backwards.
If Tesla does not sell carbon credits, then the polluters would have to pay fines to the government instead.
So the question is: who is more effective in using the money to reduce CO2 emissions and transition the world to sustainable energy use ?
And the answer is obvious: Tesla is far more effective!

This "consumer group" got the CO2 impact totally backwards.
If Tesla does not sell carbon credits, then the polluters would have to pay fines to the government instead.
So the question is: who is more effective in using the money to reduce CO2 emissions and transition the world to sustainable energy use ?
And the answer is obvious: Tesla is far more effective!

Point of order-- not that these lawsuits aren't silly... but aren't the fines GREATER than the cost of buying the credits?

(if they weren't, they'd just pay the fines, instead of giving $ to a competitor after all).

Since that's the case, one could argue a cheaper option to remain in violation (buying credits instead of paying fines) slows them down in getting out of violation.

This may well be to Teslas benefit economically on many levels- but not necessarily to the mission.

A die/mould change can be done, but one wants to minimise the amount of them that are called for. On the technical side it takes time to perform the change, then time to get the parts in-spec, all of which is downtime. On the commercial side there is the necessity to build-ahead enough diecast stock to last the line through until the next time a diechange is done and the part runs again. When we were all discussing this a couple of years ago (or whenever it was) I played around with some numbers and could convince myself that it all reached balance at perhaps 250k/yr, but definitely by 500k/yr. Clearly it is attractive for companies with smaller lines to try to find ways to shift the technical and economic limits downwards, if they are not to be forced into concentrating production at fewer/larger sites. Legacy-auto has to fight fires on so many fronts right now that I wonder if they can do it all.
I agree that it's nice to eliminate mold changes-as a former manufacturing engineer, it's always easier to run one part/mold on a press (die-casting or injection molding machine). But it's rarely practical and I suspect relatively rarely done these days. There is a large capital investment in something the size of a Gigapress, it needs to be run at speed as much as possible to see economical operation. I came across a video showing a mold change using current quick mold change technology. This is far, far ahead of what I'm used to-in "my day" the molds were still screwed in place manually, the cooling/electronic/hydraulic connections done manually, and no pre-heating of the mold before attaching it to the plattens of the machine (since operators had to be working in there.
I haven't found similar videos of die casting mold changes, but the technology should be similar.

Not saying Tesla will employ this technique-the throughput of the Gigapress may not be sufficient to get ahead of the assembly line run rate, and the model mix may not require it. Just saying it's a valid option.

If you have to ask if it's possible, you might not be the right person for the job. Of course, you could always take the ferries from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK. Then you are almost there!
"Anything is possible with a Tesla" (new advertising slogan) - Make sure you drive thro' British Columbia/ up the Cassiar Highway. I would take my cargo tray (on tow hitch) with Yamaha Generator to charge up in the Dead Zones.