Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that does sound really stupid and inefficient.
Why? PHEVs use regen braking to charge the battery. Most PHEVs have user selectable battery modes. For example, there's a pure electric mode which only uses the battery until depleted. There's a mode to reserve a certain level of battery charge for later use. And there are various ICE/battery balanced modes.

I’ve seen more people make this claim. However, if the law is passed, the tax credit is only guaranteed for 2,5 years, not 10.

In January 2025 both the presidency and the majority in Congress could be in the hands of the GOP. With none of them voting for the tax credit next month, they could decide to end it. I’m not saying they will, the current credit also survived adverse times. But 10 years is a long time in politics.

Not to become political, yet to say it in this context, he won't get his act together, and he won't support anyone else either. So there will be a Veto ability.

Plug in hybrids charge batteries during driving.

Anyway that prevents battery bricking

This is not true for all PHEV vehicles. For example, I used to own a Chevy Volt (before buying a Tesla Model X). In the Chevy Volt, every time that you wanted to use regen braking, you would have to press a paddle behind the steering wheel. I loved pressing that paddle for efficiency's sake, but I can imagine many who bought the Volt found it just as much a hassle as plugging in to charge the car, and probably never used it.

Nope. A lot of people are over the income limit. The Model S&X and LR Model 3 are already over the MSRP limit. If they raised the prices it would be even worse.

We also don't know which if any of the batteries qualify because of the mineral requirements. The RWD Model 3 probably doesn't meet this so it wouldn't qualify. So it is possible that just some Model Y's would qualify. And raising prices could put that in jeopardy as well.
Yes, I'm aware of the income limits and the battery requirements. The S & X exclusion doesn't have much impact and the income limits don't have much impact either. (About 4% of couples have an income over $300,000, but the tax bill uses AGI, so the number who don't get the credit is much less than 4%)

Currently, the RWD Model 3 probably does meet at least enough requirements to get a $3750 credit to satisfy the "battery components" requirement. The battery pack just needs to be assembled in the US. So if Tesla isn't doing final LFP pack assembly in the US, it will soon.

If it doesn't already, it won't be hard to also meet the "critical minerals" requirement. In the next couple of years Tesla just needs to make sure that extraction OR processing of minerals comes from a free trade agreement country. And it's only a percentage that is needed to meet the requirement.

Pricing above the cap won't be a problem either. If needed, Tesla can play with pricing in the US the way it did in Canada. They just sell a crippled version to get under the cap. Then after the sale you can pay more to unlock more range.

No matter what, the tax credit amounts to billions in free money for Tesla. I don't understand why that fact is at all controversial.

The only question is how much Tesla will actually rake in over the 10 year life of the credit.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: LYTRIDR and MP3Mike
The PHEV I had pre Tesla would do regen breaking so with a very long hill there was battery charging. ICE did not do any charging In mine. Saved on brake wear too.

Crazy to get a PHEV these days. Trade in will be zilch As I see it.
@lascavarian
weirdly enough, Tesla first offered ~$14,000 for 2017 Prius plug in w/49,000 miles for my LRMY, they upped it to ~$23,000 (it took 10 months from order till finally got)(every month "yer trade in offer has expired, take a picture of mileage to get new offer", so we almost never drove it for a year, did a 3,500 trip with the Y immediately.
as an aside, I first used L1 extension cords to charge PHEV's from outside GFI plug, very slow, 100ft, you could trace them if snow fell as they were "warm", switched to 25ft out a window, 3.5 - 4,0 miles/hr charge but had small PV system then (~1kw)

I can't actually tell from the bill text whether the new tax credit is refundable, but some sources have said it is. It is definitely able to be transfered to a dealership for a point-of-sale rebate, though. The question on the latter is whether Tesla counts as a dealership (the wording says "dealer which sold such vehicle to the tax payer.").
We have a similar tax "rebate" in New York (Chuck Schumer's state) and it does apply to Tesla. I got a $2000 discount directly from Tesla when I bought my Model 3.

Screenshot_20220731-110408_Chrome.jpg

Tesla is a "participating dealer" in this context.

I'm _very_ curious about this. (this is the weekend)
are you sure about this? any hints or tricks?
are you describing the ~1kw battery hybrids and not the plugins?

I remember the original hacks of the Prius where folks would add a battery at a _higher_ voltage so it could charge the drained Prius battery when a switch was thrown
I remember my dead GM Volt that the only way to fill the battery was to plug it in and only around 62% of the range was usable of the 16kwh
I remember my Prius prime plugin that also only seemed to fill the battery was plug in from a wall socket.
I never found any tricks around this

could it be that they charge during driving, but only to the bottom of the battery range

the only way I am aware to charge a Prius hybrid from the engine, was to leave the "Ready light" on, hook up a UPS to either the HV (electrocution danger but ~3kw usable) or the 12v outlet (~1kw usable) and drain the battery below it's set minimum and the engine would turn on to charge the battery back up
(a Very nice home generator for small stuff, PriUPS-getting electricity FROM your hybrid vehicle )

Last edited:
If we spent the dollars on a MYLR, we wouldn't have a gasser for backup for trips. I do have an older, high-mileage pickup for "truck stuff" (dump runs, building materials, etc). But it's not a rig I want to depend on on a long trip. Again though-I'm sure these are fairly short term problems. DCFC infrastructure is building out pretty quickly. Likely in 5 years even small towns or fairly remote areas will have them. Different note, I was just on ABRP looking at my old, Idaho stomping grounds (moved a year ago). In that time a couple new DCFCs have opened up on some loops I liked but ABRP said were no-go then. Non-Superchargers, so a CCS adapter would be a necessity. Just curious, do most Tesla owners have one?
I think most of us do not have the CCS. It's hundreds of dollars for one. That said, I bought one to support my month-long trip to a small town this summer that did not have SuperChargers nor any destination chargers at the condo where I was staying. Although I got the adapter to work twice, it also failed me multiple times (even at the exact same chargers where it had worked before!), leading to some inconvenience for me. All THAT said, I have the Setec (third party) adapter and I _expect_ the Tesla branded one would be more consistent. But Tesla still make it nigh impossible to get their CCS adapter here in NA... I hope that changes.
The reason I expect it to work better is that the adapter is a software "bridge" between Tesla protocol and the set of third-party implementations of CCS protocol. It does appear to be more of a software problem than hardware problem, given that updating the firmware in my adapter helped at times. One would think that would never be needed in this late stage of charging development, but evidence indicates one thinking that would be wrong...
I really wish our "hands-off" government approach to EV's the first 20 years of this century would have yielded a single thing: charge plug standardization. Europe may have picked a poor one but there is no doubt there you can plug your car in when you find a charger.

Edit: I'm sure that Tesla could find work for those employees displaced by Toyota's marketing genius of threatening to take away jobs as a way to win the hearts and support of the UK public.
Once upon a time, a would-be company called “Tesla” got a helluva good deal on another old plant Toyota (don’t spoil this story by including GM) had abandoned. But THIS time, UK likely could, effectively, force majeure the situation and obtain / repurpose it for $0 (sorry: £0). There has been a good deal of good-quality discussion in this thread on the economic hurdles a UK-based auto production operation has in a world…and particularly, a continent— that drives on the other side of the road but we also all know It is NOT a particularly awkward or costly challenge to design tabula rasa a vehicle OR its manufacturing plant to accommodate either.
Now I need to learn something - anything - about the extant Toyota plant.

That is my understanding as well. I have friends, an outdoorsy couple who bought a Toyota RAV4 Prime (PHEV). The husband in particular loves to save money. He makes it a point of pride to always charge it ... he got a state subsidized L2 charger put in the garage, and has an energy deal that, in return for only charging at night, he gets $0.03 / kWh electricity. Very cheap electric miles. The battery has enough range that IIRC he has added gasoline stabilizer to the tank as it empties so incredibly rarely. They chose this car over a Tesla a couple years ago at least somewhat because their most common cross country trips were not well served by Superchargers (I helped them check... the routing inconveniences were ones I would have accepted, but they would not). BTW they would likely still have the same complaint about routes today, but likely not in 2 years.
Some people buy these PHEVs to use them as EVs as much as feasible in their lives.
It sounds to me like the main lesson of recent history is that fleet-provided cars should not be PHEVs, due to the lack of incentive to plug in.
I have also seen some weird statements about hybrids here of late. I think I can speak on the topic since I drove a Prius from 2005 - 2021. Somebody here dismissed them because the blueprints for them appeared too complex to work. Many other voices jumped in and agreed. I believe in my 16 years of driving (2 different Prii), I had exactly 1 unexpected dealer maintenance trip, and it was not emergent. Toyota made them well and made them by the millions. I do not believe they are the maintenance nightmares the chorus here seems to have portrayed.
In general, EV's have not yet solved private transport. Tesla has entire market segments it has yet to make a product for, and it cannot make enough vehicles for the S3XY segment it does address. Therefore I do not understand all this complaining about the new Congress bill offering support for PHEVs and hybrids as well as EV's.
I was finally able to jump to the next phase and get an EV myself, because my life and finances allowed it. I sometimes think we forget America is not there, and could not be there if it wanted to today due to lack of products, lack of volume, lack of infrastructure, etc...

From the deliveries thread:

Reports from a Swedish FB group where two Plaid order holders have been able to choose pick up location now on their order page. No preliminary date yet, but at least some progress! Myself who has a LR order can not choose a pick up location yet.

But maybe hope for Q4 EU Plaid delivery?

I think they only charge when slowing don't they?, using energy that would otherwise be lost. If they are actually charging whilst regular driving, that really is some truly retarded engineering at work!
Doesn't the software decide when to burn gas depending on who's looking? :rolleyes:

Based on what I'm reading on this forum, and with this new Bill in the kitchen, I think we all owe it to ourselves to really understand Hybrids and exactly why they don't make sense, Pros/Cons, myself included. This is going to be a family debate that we can't screw up. Hybrid OEMs will likely present charts of best case scenarios and attempt to make Tesla look like we are hogging the mining industry and global battery supply. It's a possible scenario anyway, possibly getting ahead of myself, but quite worth thinking through.

Basically, the more I read here, the more I laugh on the design. I did have a ride in one years ago, and my friend floored it and it felt like I was riding on a disney-train slow. Are they still that way? The HP says so.

From Quora, this has a good explanation, but lots of stuff out there: Can a hybrid car run without gas?

Key Points:
- Not all Hybrids the same, so I tried to generalize here.
- The gas engine has really low HP, as low as 10-50HP. Think riding mower size.
- At speeds above city streets or during peak demand, gas kicks in since the battery is too small.
- At even low freeway speeds, both gas and electric are needed together since wind drag increases exponentially with speed.
- They do charge the battery from the engine while driving (not always) which is a inefficient energy exchange (converted twice).
- This added waste is offset by the higher savings in other modes of driving. Obviously, driving behavior matters.
- Using the Engine to charge is needed because, if the load is too light, the Engine would need to slow but that becomes less efficient. So instead it maintains a steady RPM and kicks in the generator at the same time. It tries to keep the engine RPM in the most efficient sweet spot on the power curve.
- Yes, a monotone engine. Hmmm... No vroom-vroom.
- These engines can last up to 500,00 miles because they always have relatively light load, mechanical parts are not stressed.

Conclusion: (IMHO)
This is too complicated for the average consumer who will fall for the lower prices and efficiency, all with good intentions. Their marketing will be really easy as it all sounds good, affordable, and plays into the battery shortage narrative. Some TSLA caution is prudent despite the tailwind for Tesla credits and additional revenue. I referenced a paper yesterday here that went into detail on the actual charging behaviors of about 5,000 owners, and it explains why people don't charge as intended (some do as pointed out on TMC). I didn't find a %, maybe someone has a current source.

In the end, gas usage with PHEVs is sustained over a longer period (as compared to BEV directly), and in a vehicle having a longer lifespan than a regular ICE (but the maintenance will certainly shorten that life expectancy). As these tiny PHEV batteries become weak or die, gas usage will increase as the engine will have nowhere to put the extra power at slow or idle, again not all apply. High costs for batteries is an obvious barrier to repair. I'd love to know how long the batteries last, maybe OEMs can at least get that part right.

Reactions: Nolimits
I consider the M3/MY very similar vehicles, with very similar costs to manufacture. With such similarities, I find it unintuitive that the MY is $66K while the M3 is $58K. And yet, the M3 is likely to be reduced to $55K while the MY is likely to be increased. Tesla was insightful to introduce the MY as I am blown away at the premium it continues to command above the similar M3.

The cost of gas is why most will plug in the PHEV when they can.

IMO a pure BEV has a better TCO over 10 years, mainly due to lower maintenance and charging on longer range trips.

However, as a short-term inflation busting move when BEVs and batteries can't keep up with demand, PHEV is better than ICE.
The price of gas (petrol) is much higher in the UK than in USA. Nevertheless my casual personal observation in the UK supports the more rigorous reports and studies, all of which say that PHEV are seldom actually charged from a wall socket, irrespective of higher fuel prices.

On my street there is a Mini Countryman PHEV which the owner never plugs in. One of my friends has a BMW 530e PHEV that he never plugs in. Both have wall sockets in (or outside) their garages conveniently to hand, never used*. I know these two people bought the PHEV option because it resulted in the lowest taxes and the best access to the various cities that have instituted anti-pollution tax schemes. The same message comes loud and clear from all the studies.

PHEV are a scam to try and keep the legacy dino-juice ICE industry alive a few more years.

* to be fair the mini owner plugs her vacuum into the socket when she cleans the car :)