Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very interesting interview with Alexandra Merz by Brighter with Herbert:

Some takeaways:

- Only 30 of the top 300 ETF's currently own any TSLA at all
- Many of the ETF's are likely waiting for a Moody's credit upgrade
- Some others will wait until the TSLA owning funds begin to outperform due to TSLA, only then will the stubborn ones buy in too (to keep up)
- If a Moody's upgrade is coming it will most likely be in late December, but it could be end of August (unlikely now?)
- When the upgrade happens it will near certainly trigger a huge influx of large TSLA investors (ETF's)

Good interview, very informative.

Thank you, I've been and am sending info from here to family and friends to piggyback on TSLA. Lots of room to grow for the company even now.

Why do people suddenly seem to think such an upgrade is "coming up"? Don't take me wrong, clearly an upgrade is deserved. But the ratings agencies have plenty of incentives from other customers not to do an upgrade, and Tesla is unlikely to issue new bonds for the foreseeable future. So why would they do anything at all with Tesla's rating? What am I missing?

It's largely due to the attention being brought to the issue by former credit ratings analyst @MmeAlexandraS and lately @garyblack on twitter.

The topic made the WSJ recently:

Tesla Set to Shed Junk-Bond Stigma as Wall Street's Doubts Fade.Bloomberg.2022-08-04.pg2.jpg

Nice cherry picking! Curious if you read the actual tweet thread, or 'collected' this knowledge via some 3rd party? Here's the context:

To be clear, I have been watching James Lock's Youtube videos since he used to post on his roadtrips w. his Model S 100DL to Yellowknife, NWT in Northern Canada. James moved to California, and became an early participant in Tesla's FSD Beta program.

Now if you've watched any of James' library of Beta test videos, he posts 1 video taken on each of 2 test loops near his home in Santa Clara. This forms a valuable resource because he has documented how FSD Beta software has evolved over the course of the test program (many thanks, and all due credit to James!).

What James does do, however, is repeatedly and continuously report the SAME issue. I've watched him drive pass the Speed Limit sign on Plum Canyon Rd just outside his neighborhood which has NOT been recognized for almost a year now. And James reports it repeatedly, even though the behaviour hasn't changed. Missed/late lane changes and other issues that are consistent ARE known to the Beta team. It's just impatience.

Elon's point is simple: Tesla is running this early release Beta version v10.69 to identify any NEW issues. There is little point in continuing to point out KNOWN issues, as this is not the finished product. Indeed, what James would seemingly have the Tesla Autopilot team do is work on HIS list of priorities (ie: multiple lane changes in short order after a complex mult-lane left turn). 'So DON'T work on Chuck's problem; work on MY problems.' Yeah... :p

Do you understand now why Elon reacted to James' tweet as an Engineering Manager, and not like some PR poofdah? Do you think James' original tweet was appropriate, or even helpful? Will his issues still exist in 10.69.1 or 10.69.2 versions? Yes, most likely. But that's the time to advance the conversation on what to fix next, not while trying to improve and/or create a new suite of features targeting better performance in a different scenario (ie: Chuck's complex left turn).

Cheers to the FSD Beta team! ;)
I had, inadvertently, cherry picked. I only read the initial reply by Elon. He makes a good justification, as did you. I hope others do a better job reading the whole exchange.

Yep, TSLA is going to take off like a rocket in two weeks!!! :p
Nah, I'm getting tired of this new and obviously broken meme.

Let's get back to the old meme instead:
TSLA will take off like a rocket in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely! !

For those noobs who were not here way-back at the time, this was also an Elon prediction about FSD...

Sir, had you already predicted that there would be no short covering this time around? Serious question.
I was thinking same pattern or something similar would follow ...

We can't know if was no short covering this time. The Market has gone through 2 complete swing cycles over the past 149 days since Tesla preannounced their intention to do a split after the AGM.

A surprise split like Aug 2020 might have caught some out, but as it is, nobody was surprised. Indeed, today feels more like shortzes rubbing the nose in it, to be doggy.

Don't shorts have like 3 business days to deliver the stocks? Would this still apply for # of days to deliver the dividend stock?
Well, the Canadian big shorts banks* (CIBC, RBC) have decided that they have 3 more days (until next Monday) to deliver the Tesla-issued extra shares they received to actual shareholders, so you got some followers of your logic...

*oopise, I do not know why I mis-spelled the word "banks" first.

Elon re-affirming FSD release timelines. 10.69.1 on Monday and 10.69.2 "wide Beta" 1 week or so later. Would put 10.69.2 release exactly on Sept 5 to coincide with price increase. Again, I don't think we have confirmation either way whether this is the "wide Beta" that dispenses with the Safety Score gate:

Sir, had you already predicted that there would be no short covering this time around? Serious question.
I was thinking same pattern or something similar would follow ...
I am guessing the 600 to 900 rally may have been it, ahead of time. I lost money to expiring calls hoping for more as well. Oh well. HODL would have been a better nights rest

Well, the Canadian big shorts banks* (CIBC, RBC) have decided that they have 3 more days (until next Monday) to deliver the Tesla-issued extra shares they received to actual shareholders, so you got some followers of your logic...

*oopise, I do not know why I mis-spelled the word "banks" first.

Yeah, that was essentially my thesis back on Fri, Aug 14, 2020 when I predicted (here, in advance, that shares would runup ~80% and some Brokers would not deliver their customers dividend shares on time). There was a simple, yet powerful, theory behind this prediction. Let me explain it here again.

Big banks with brokerages (big enough to also hold Options Maker Maker status), are themselves the 'shareholders of record' for large numbers of TSLA shares (ie: BMO Investorline holds ~2M shares of TSLA), and their customers are simply Beneficial Owners.

What this means is that these brokers have the exemption to the prohibition against naked shorting (via the 'Madoff exemption'), and they're ALSO mostly trading stocks among their internal clients, while being responsible only to themselves for share inventory. So it's nothing but a bookkeeping detail if their inventory of TSLA is 2% too low due to their failure to locate TSLA stock in a timely manner.

These are the abusive naked shorts who would get caught by a surprise share dividend. Some of them have routinely maintained open naked short positions on TSLA literally for years.

The effect of this is to drive down the equilbrium share price, by interfering with the proper functioning of the Market for price discover via supply and demand. I wrote here on this topic extensively in Dec 2020 during the S&P 500 addition for TSLA. My simple economic model for TSLA predicted the 'addtion' SP to within $10 by estimating the number of naked shorts that would exist on Dec 18, 2020.

So the same thing happened then: A large number of forced locates and buys (~200M shares) of TSLA were compressed into a deadline, and certain hedge funds which could not easily dodge reporting rules were caught out, then forced to buy instead of playing accounting games and hiding their fails-to-deliver (FTDs). This lead to the 13-day TSLA runup which ended in early Jan 2021 (again, due to reporting requirements for FTDs).

This time, in Aug 2022, shortzes had 149 days notice of the share dividend, 2 big market swings due to macros, and those 2 previous practice runs in 2020. Not surprising they handled it this time while avoiding a 'day-of' SP runup.

But the underlying problem* still exist, and the SEC is doing nothing. $AMC $BBBY $GME

Cheers!

*Hint: it's the Madoff Exemption.

Last edited:
IIRC Elon Tesla sold stock BOTH TIMES the stock split.

FTFY. Tesla did two (2) separate Cap Raisies of $5B each in Sep 2020 and Dec 2020.

Elon sold no TSLA stock until Nov 2021 when he was needed to pay 52% income tax on share options he executed [just before they expired] from his 2012 CEO compensation plan.

It might be better to google your 'memories' before believing them... ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I think you have the settings on your stock tracking app incorrect. Maybe set the date to 8/25/2022....

No grasshopper, rally mode has far too large a flywheel for instant gratification. :)
It takes a little time to get her spooled up to full tilt, but once that baby is up to speed, none of the ever present hedgies, wedgies, fuzzies, or scuzzies can put the brakes on!