Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noting here a story from Reuters (behind paywall at Schwab) on how the Tesla split
interacts with potential Dow inclusion. One analyst bemoaned that Tesla's (current)
volatility is just too much for the index.

Excerpt from another:

"At current prices, the Elon Musk-led company would be the fourth largest weight in the price-weighted Dow if it were to be included, right behind Home Depot, Goldman Sachs and UnitedHealth. I can't imagine that the committee would rush to make a company that sports such an extremely high valuation by any conventional metric a flagship in a highly selective, arbitrary index," said Interactive Brokers' Chief Strategist Steve Sosnick."

They go on to posit that AMZN and GOOGL, also with recent stock splits, might make better candidates
for DJIA, before more verbiage:

"Criteria for inclusion into the 30-member Dow Jones Industrial Average is not very explicit.
The stock selection does not follow "quantitative rules" but the company typically has "excellent reputation, demonstrates sustained growth and is of interest to a large number of investors".

My own opinion is that Tesla is quite "industrial" and would be a great candidate
after bond-rating agency boosts.
No one really gives a poop about the Dow anyway, other than finance media. There are hardly any funds that track it, and the composition is nonsense anyway.

Noting here a story from Reuters (behind paywall at Schwab) on how the Tesla split
interacts with potential Dow inclusion. One analyst bemoaned that Tesla's (current)
volatility is just too much for the index.

Excerpt from another:

"At current prices, the Elon Musk-led company would be the fourth largest weight in the price-weighted Dow if it were to be included, right behind Home Depot, Goldman Sachs and UnitedHealth. I can't imagine that the committee would rush to make a company that sports such an extremely high valuation by any conventional metric a flagship in a highly selective, arbitrary index," said Interactive Brokers' Chief Strategist Steve Sosnick."

They go on to posit that AMZN and GOOGL, also with recent stock splits, might make better candidates
for DJIA, before more verbiage:

"Criteria for inclusion into the 30-member Dow Jones Industrial Average is not very explicit.
The stock selection does not follow "quantitative rules" but the company typically has "excellent reputation, demonstrates sustained growth and is of interest to a large number of investors".

My own opinion is that Tesla is quite "industrial" and would be a great candidate
after bond-rating agency boosts.
So TSLA too high of a valuation

Amazon just right valuation

Would love to know those metrics they’re basing this on lol. Amazon has higher TTM and Forward P/E

Last split, the theory was that the stock went up so much because of naked shorts having to cover. Is that not the case with this split, or was that theory for first split wrong? Or maybe I misunderstood the theory.

The difference is that this time the Shorts had months to get their affairs in order, so, it wasn't a surprise.

Much unlike how a surprise 2:1 split with only a couple of week's notice later this year might catch them off guard.

I’ve done the homework. The SP is controlled by powerful people who either make up stories to add volatility to the SP or go with the macro flow and enhance those stories to create volatility. An example of the latter has been playing out for years; Recession coming! Recession coming! For sure recession coming now! Pandemic, woohoo! Recession still coming! Recession is here just ignore all the evidence to the contrary! We’re serious now, recession coming! Interest hike good! Interest hike bad! Boom, recession!

Elon is a godsend to these crooks because his actions can easily be used to enhance volatility. Mary Barra may be leading the EV revolution, but nobody cares about her in the scheme of things because as a business figurehead she’s as vanilla as they come. Elon though is honey jalapeño pickle flavor.

The SP will continue to not reflect Tesla business accurately for years to come. Mark my words.

Ok, I'll bite.

Evidence please? Evidence that it comes from the top.

Last split, the theory was that the stock went up so much because of naked shorts having to cover. Is that not the case with this split, or was that theory for first split wrong? Or maybe I misunderstood the theory.
The "naked shorts" got hurt from the last split. This split they might have un-naked themselves immediately after the decision to do a split...or maybe even when the split was official proposed. Which makes sense as to why the stock did well a month ago.

Ant

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I am surprised with the low volume. I thought maybe due to the upcoming split and confusion over "record date" we had low volume going into the split. However I figured we would see increased volume as more retail shareholders would be jumping in at the lower share price.

In any case I think the biggest catalyst coming up is the investment grade credit upgrade. There are too many funds underweight or without any Tesla exposure and I believe this is a primary factor.

Seeing how Natixis purchasing about 15 millions shares before the split caused a substantial run up in price, I won't be surprised to see a much larger flow from institutions causing a rapid price increase.

I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised at yesterday and today's trading.

Of all the scenarios I considered for yesterday, I didn't see macros being relatively strong but TSLA underperforming by a significant amount yesterday on such low volume.

And today, I am surprised at the lack of volatility. AND strong underperformance against macros again.

Would love to know those metrics they’re basing this on lol. Amazon has higher TTM and Forward P/E
Dow is based on stock price, not valuation. Ridiculous.

Much unlike how a surprise 2:1 split with only a couple of week's notice later this year might catch them off guard.

They didn't have the common shares available for a 2:1 before the vote, and they don't now.
3x the shares (2M to 6M), 3:1 split, same fraction available.

From proxy:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...4064/tsla-def14a_20220804.htm#PROPOSAL_FOUR_4
Except for shares reserved for issuance under existing equity compensation plans and shares that would be issued pursuant to the Stock Split, the Board has no current plans to issue additional shares of common stock. As such, the Authorized Shares Amendment represents a request for a proportionate increase in the number of authorized shares of common stock based on our planned Stock Split.

The "naked shorts" got hurt from the last split. This split they might have un-naked themselves immediately after the decision to do a split...or maybe even when the split was official proposed. Which makes sense as to why the stock did well a month ago.

Ant
When Elon sold he gave shorts shares...

Look what happened with BBBY when Cohen sold, wreckfest.

I think most "pro" investors simply trust AMZN more than TSLA today. Amazon doesn't have a CEO who's a wildcard, they have years of positive finances, and they have a track record investors can rely on.

Many Wall Street investors still think of Tesla as a risky startup with huge "competition" from legacy auto. To most of us that's nonsense, but tradition is hard to let go for many "traditional" investors.

This opinion will change given time, but I think it will take a year or two of stellar performance to truly wake Wall Street up. Eventually it will be obvious to most everyone and impossible to ignore. Over that time we'll see a Moody's credit upgrade, many more hedge funds will pour into TSLA, CT & Semi will launch, and the companies revenues and margins will rise through the roof.

In other words, buying opportunity. :cool:

It is 9:09AM EST and my TD Waterhouse Canadian account #shares is still not yet updated.

For future record, I would like to put in a sell order (at a high ask) but can’t on the new shares.
Not sure about anybody else but I had a huge % gain on my Tesla shares today, even though I still can’t sell.

9F8E2128-8338-4DC2-9FC4-27F38555B755.png

In any case I think the biggest catalyst coming up is the investment grade credit upgrade.
Why do people suddenly seem to think such an upgrade is "coming up"? Don't take me wrong, clearly an upgrade is deserved. But the ratings agencies have plenty of incentives from other customers not to do an upgrade, and Tesla is unlikely to issue new bonds for the foreseeable future. So why would they do anything at all with Tesla's rating? What am I missing?