Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if this were possible, do legacy auto companies have the operational flexibility to add an additional supplier to their battery mix? The only way I can see this being relevant is if the supplier happened to have surplus of cells the legacy automaker already utilizes. I don't think there is a ton of overlap in what Tesla uses and what legacy auto uses. For example GM uses pouch cells which Tesla mostly avoids (not sure about storage).

Correct. Telsa is the only EV maker of any size that is flexible enough to quickly adapt to different battery cell technologies (although they don't touch pouch cells for safety reasons). Almost 50% of currently selling Teslas use LFP chemistry in prismatic format, which is a big change from Tesla's usual 18650, 2170 or newer 4680 cylindrical cells. And I believe they will start using BYD's blade batteries soon too. So that's five different form factors with numerous different chemistries.

Other EV makers are doubly screwed in that they have limited cell availability in their one format, which also means they have zero pricing power. Tesla has pricing power since they can substitute one supplier against another, and they also happen to be the biggest buyer by far.

Also, I'm installing 10.69.2.2 😁

View attachment 854324
Can't wait for mine. I found 69.2 to have my AI high on weed or something. There are many things that are new and it's doing great like protected and unprotect turns, but man sometimes it decelerates in a straight lane and doesn't want to accelerate again even after pressing the pedal trying to wake it up. This happens multiple times on a drive with no traffic lights near, pedestrians or anything out of the ordinary. It's a phantom slowing without acceleration again which is a new behavior. Feels like the AI just took a puff and going to chill on the sofa for awhile.

Indeed. As a reminder to all, here's Elon view on what's important to the future success of Tesla (recorded at the 2019 AGM on June 11th).

Elon: (1:00:39) "If I were an outside investor, I would really focus on two things: what is the timeline to full self driving, and what is your plan to scale battery production and get the cost per kilowatt hour lower. It's basically battery cells, and full self driving. Those are the two strategic things that are of most importance."​

It's over 3 years on now, does anyone still doubt the importance of following Tesla FSD tech? Or 4680s?

Chairs for the Longs!
Awesome link and reminder.

I'm continually astounded at how prescient Elon has been throughout the history of Tesla (I admit to not knowing much about him before Tesla). But for the fact that he has yet to solve FSD and battery cells, I would believe he time traveled back from the future, or is an alien from a highly advanced species.

VW says the chip shortage will continue beyond 2023.

There are chips available, it is primarily supply of older 43nm chips which is constrained. I’m pretty sure the reason VW is having continuing shortages is due to their unwillingness to upgrade their product lines to support chips which are more commonly available now. In other words, VW is experiencing a self-imposed supply shortage. Likely it’s cheaper to deal with limited supply then it is to upgrade their products to match the available chip supply. This feels like a form of capitulation to me.

They are correct in a way though, shortages of obsolete parts will continue to be a problem for years to come.
It appears that Mercedes is also acutely aware of the chip shortage:
Screenshot_20220919-130835.png

Last edited:

There are chips available, it is primarily supply of older 43nm chips which is constrained. I’m pretty sure the reason VW is having continuing shortages is due to their unwillingness to upgrade their product lines to support chips which are more commonly available now. In other words, VW is experiencing a self-imposed supply shortage. Likely it’s cheaper to deal with limited supply then it is to upgrade their products to match the available chip supply. This feels like a form of capitulation to me.

They are correct in a way though, shortages of obsolete parts will continue to be a problem for years to come.
A chip, a chip! My kingdom for a chip!

It appears that Mercedes is acutely aware of the chip shortage:
View attachment 854355
Sucks to be waiting on 48nm chips that were developed during the cold war (at least it feels that long ago according to Moore). If they had a clue, they would hire some embedded engineers! Oh wait, they've all been hired by Tesla.

Listening to Mr. Tavares carefully I find it odd that this indicates Stellantis is doomed. Carlos Tavares has a long standing habit of thinking clearly. That is how he's been successful at managing profitable operations for some companies that have had huge losses for decades. Think Fiat, Chrysler, Opel.

Rationally his descriptions of infrastructure is both rational and practical.

1. That clean energy production and distribution is essential is hardly something with which we would disagree. He sees Germany retreating to coal. Brazil retreating to fossil fuels. The US dirty coal:
joe-manchin-senator-millions-coal-grant-town-west-virginia
Then think of India, nearly all of Africa, South American and Asia.
Is Tavares myopic to declare that logically, clean power should be first?
Yes, Tavares is myopic to declare that clean power should come first.

EVs already have less societal cost for pollution, even with current grid mix. This has been true at least as long ago as 2006 when Elon published the Tesla Motors Master Plan and Marc Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard published a white paper debunking the "long tailpipe" argument. BEVs produce less greenhouse gas emissions and move the toxic health-hazard pollutants from combustion (nitrous oxides, carbon monoxide, soot, etc.) away from population centers. The only thing worse about BEV pollution is fine particulates from tire dust due to the greater vehicle weight and motor power.

Also, clean power growth is already happening fast, all without help from Stellantis. Total global solar photovoltaic capacity has been riding a steady exponential growth curve for decades, with just 3 years between doublings. With that rate of growth and with solar already at ~5% of global electricity supply, it's going to become the majority of electric power production about 10 years from now, and by 2040-ish solar/wind/batteries will have wiped out almost all competing energy sources, including the other two thirds of global energy consumption that currently isn't electrified. The conversion of electricity generation to renewables is happening orders of magnitude faster than the conversion of the global motor vehicle fleet to BEVs.

1663603861057.png

(Source)

Who cares if it's possible to cherry-pick a couple of examples of countries foolishly "retreating to coal"? Data from the world as a whole portends total annihilation of the business case for thermal power stations (coal, gas, nuclear, geothermal, biomass) caused by an overwhelming, unstoppable onslaught from solar, wind and batteries. In the world's richest countries, where most of the total car-driving is occurring for now and the foreseeable future, coal consumption has fallen to about half of its peak from around 2007. When solar prices hit $10/MWh, who is going to keep operating those fossil fuel power plants? Does Carlos Tavares even believe that solar energy is headed to $10/MWh and below, even though understanding this fact is critical to predicting the direction his industry is headed?

Joe Manchin can do whatever he wants to try to save West Virginia coal, but more bankruptcies are inevitably coming. The coal mines and power plants will continue to retire and the people working in the industry will find something else to do or move out of WV. It's like dumping a bucket of water on a fish flopping around on the ground and hoping that the fish will survive. Lazard estimates now show that solar PV has eclipsed the marginal operating cost of fully depreciated coal plants in the USA.

1663602081705.png

(Source)

2. As for charging infrastructure. Even North America, Western Europe and China have gigantic deficiencies in charging infrastructure. Is he wrong about that one?
Yes, Tavares is totally wrong about that too.

This is a dynamic transition with feedback loops. Charging infrastructure is growing alongside the BEV fleet. What matters is whether there is sufficient charging infrastructure to provide demand for BEVs for continued global growth of BEV production and sales . What does not matter is whether sufficient charging infrastructure exists right now to support the entire end game of 100% BEVs, because all those BEVs don't exist yet and by the time they do exist, the charging will exist too. We know that today the demand for BEVs is high relative to supply. The sold-out order backlogs, high prices, consumer research and heavy investment in production capacity expansion conclusively demonstrate this fact. Thus, we have enough charging infrastructure.

History is filled with examples of new technology markets that relied on concurrent growth of supporting infrastructure. Someone mentioned iPhones and 5G. How about home appliances and electricity grids? Cars and gas stations + asphalt roads? Printing press and paper supply? Software and computers to run it on? The early adopters find a way to make it work for niche use cases, and momentum builds from there with end uses and infrastructure developing in lockstep with each other.

3. As for affordable BEV for the world, is he incorrect? Right now Stellantis sells the most affordable mainstream BEV's from Fiat 500, Peugeot e208 to Ram ProMaster and a few dozen more:
Yes, his opinion on that is incorrect too.

Also, I guarantee Stellantis is selling those BEVs at a loss, meaning that those are subsidized BEVs. Anything can be made affordable by selling it for less than it costs to produce, but that's not sustainable or scalable. I'm not impressed with their efforts. The previous CEO of Fiat Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne, explicitly and bluntly said that the company was only attempting to make compliance EVs:

“I hope you don’t buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000,” he said to the audience at the Brookings Institution about the 500e. “I’m honest enough to tell you that."
“I will sell the (minimum) of what I need to sell and not one more,” Marchionne said of the 500e.
“If we just build those vehicles, we’ll be back asking ... in Washington for a second bailout because we’ll be bankrupt,” Marchionne said of electric cars. (Source)
These comments came in 2014. Are we to believe that in 8 years Stellantis has made so much progress on A) caring about the future of the planet and their own long-term financial solvency and B) BEV technology that suddenly they are a world leader in BEV affordability? Or is it more likely that these still are compliance cars and nothing more?

Again, transitioning to sustainable mobility is a dynamic problem, so the time dimension can't be ignored. Tavares could have figured out the optimal approach by reviewing the 2006 Master Plan. Current EVs are selling out at current prices, which means that the market has enough forcing function to continue growing at top speed. We will get to the promised land as long as this condition constantly remains true while we descend the Wright's Law curve for BEV technology cost. EVs don't need to be cheap in 2022. They will need to be cheap by 2032, assuming we haven't largely moved on to robotaxis by then.

4. He says Stellantis is determined to meet the goals already established and continue to do so. Their concentration on BEV delivery trucks is various sizes.
Then there are the actual results to date:
Stellantis's "goals already established" are a joke.

Behold a plan for bankruptcy:

• 75+ different BEV models in their portfolio by 2030 in addition to 25% sales of ICEVs and hybrids
    • The same "Dare Forward 2030" presentation emphasizes how important it is to "reduce complexity at all levels"...lol
    • Model 3 & Y alone could sell as much or more in 2025 than Stellantis's entire 2030 goal of 5M BEVs
  • Same old foolish strategy of having shared platforms used by both ICE and battery powertrains instead of just optimizing a custom BEV design
  • Hydrogen fuel cells still viewed as core part of future market for trucks and vans
  • Not carbon neutral until 2038
  • Still investing capital in new generations of combustion engines
Tavares here in the screenshot below presents a misleading table comparing the best-case scenario refueling time for an H2 van (assuming the pump is nearby and ready to pump) with battery recharge time using a wimpy 11 kW wall charger.

1663614917896.png

1663613569577.png

All that said, Carlos Tavares is not a visionary. He's practical, deliberate and highly successful in saving large manufacturers from ruin. To equate him with idiots and fools, climate deniers and perry bureaucrats is not correct.
CEOs are supposed to be visionary leaders. That's literally a CEO's main job, especially in an industry undergoing a major once-in-a-lifetime technology disruption. Merely being a disciplined manager is insufficient. A CEO must lead and manage. The CEO should be telling people what the future is going to look like, why it'll be great, and persuading them to want to do the work to get there. There is no way Tavares's wishy-washy public comments about BEVs are helping Stellantis recruit the best and most motivated people...who are all going to Tesla.

Please listen carefully. He's pleading for clean energy and charging infrastructure.
Right. Begging and pleading, and proffering that as an excuse for sitting and waiting another 10 or 20 years for aggressive BEV growth, if only it weren't for pesky tree-hugging governments meddling in their market. I can think of another car manufacturer that has been actively helping with clean energy and charging infrastructure for the last decade.

Keep also in mind that their largest single global market share is in Brazil. They sell several BEV's here, but there are few buyers. They're pushing anyway, as they are also doing in other less electrified markets, none of which have anything Tesla yet, nor any large-scale clean energy.
Brazil may be Stellantis's best market for share of volume, but Stellantis makes the majority of their profit in North America from selling Jeep off-road toys and Ram pickups. North America accounted for €7.7B, or 62%, of their total €12.4B of reported "adjusted operating income" in H1 2022. Europe was another €3.3B, whereas all of South America was €1B. With ~90% of Stellantis' income coming from North America and Europe, I doubt the Brazilian market is a cornerstone of the company's near-term and medium-term electrification priorities. Their official strategic plan is heavily focused on electrification in Europe where the emissions regulations are most stringent, which is fitting because their plan is to produce compliance cars while pretending to care about the health of people and our biosphere.

Stellantis has no viable solution for making Jeeps and Rams electric at an affordable price with market-competitive specs, because they don't have the necessary technology nor do they have the courage and humility to copy the Cybertruck.

(Edit: By the way, Brazil and most of the rest of Latin America already have extremely high percentages of renewables in their electricity mixes, especially if we count hydroelectric dams.)

Last edited:

43 nm . . . WOW . . . that's so . . . 2008.

I hope the fabs tell them to pound sand. Enough is enough, time to upgrade your chips, those suckers are long since EoL. Even for automotive runs.

I'm glad TSLA is working and releasing FSD updates more often. I'd like to know more about what is going on behind the scenes that all of this is happening. Is it a marketing ploy? Are the genuinely making serious progress? Is there some step change within the organization and if so what is it? Personnel? Computing power?

I find the current "vibe" online related to FSD way too bullish or BSish. I am happy Chuck Cook UPL is getting some attention, but I am not sure of seeing much improvement. 10.69.2.2 first ride was jerky across first two lanes in a CUPL (use it internets aka Chuck UPL), then pulled out safely in front of traffic coming 65 mph and would have forced them to slow down. Took it to two other points of interest, first of which is a highway overpass over another highway. Car ratchets down from 75 to 35 still as if it thinks there is not a one or more year old 4 lane divided highway. If this worked on a vision only approach, the vision would inform the car to keep going. There is something using old data, not relying on that which it senses. After using the next exit the onramp was horrible, went onto the highway but went about 50% into the far lane before correcting into the proper near lane. Sat still for a train, when the train passed, gate lifted, red lights stopped flashing, the car just sat there!

The doobs on utube and twitter seem to keep putting out that FSD is solved when it is yet a far way away.

Of all the things I have pressed the report button for, only one has been solved. I think it is a feel good button for the owner and might not do anything. CUPL has been worked on because of attention in public..

Last edited:
43 nm . . . WOW . . . that's so . . . 2008.

I hope the fabs tell them to pound sand. Enough is enough, time to upgrade your chips, those suckers are long since EoL. Even for automotive runs.
That’s basically what the chipmakers have done.

Older article, but still relevant. Nobody wants to build fabs that make obsolete tech. The industry had a glut of these chips for a long time and they’ve quietly been shuttering the fabs in favor of smaller and more advanced chips. The automakers put their finger on the big problem. “Because of a 50-cent chip, we are unable to build a car that sells for $50,000.” Building a fab to manufacture “$0.50 chips” doesn’t make sense.

Now the chip fabs are essentially telling the automakers they need to come up for the capital for any new fabs to produce their obsolete chips.

The auto makers are at an impasse. They can either continue to struggle with a chip shortage; invest capital in fabs to produce more chips; or invest a lot of money redesigning and manufacturing chips for vehicles which are selling in declining volumes and likely will be going out of production in 5-10 years. None of them are very palatable.

Stellantis is doomed. The CEO wants 30 years lead time to make sure the grid and charging infrastructure is in place before starting to work on EVs.
Is this the competition that is coming?

As someone that has been with Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis (approaching 20 years and has been on both the white and blue collar sides of the spectrum). I would say there is a low to moderate chance of transition with Tavares compared to Marchionne previously.

My take is Sergio and Carlos at the end of the day were/are businessmen. Bean counters through and through looking to appease their shareholders (as per the interview) via cost cutting and not looking farther ahead then THEY deem required.

This is par for the course unfortunately with “legacy mentality” and expectations going forward. They will continue with “compliance” vehicles in their more profitable brands (Jeep/Ram) and toe the line until “regulators” say otherwise. Carlos is overseeing an umbrella of brands so realistically, he’s just trying to balance numbers wherever he can…for as long as he can.

From what I’ve seen there is no real forethought going forward. i.e. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership strategy. This is a case of buying time and hoping regulations relax in the future so they can continue what their doing now. Really, they are betting BIG on brand loyalty/marketing (see recent Dodge speed week announcement) time will tell if it actually works.

I’ll finish up by saying I am accepting of what I see around me while I’m at work. Just coming back from another layoff due to part shortages, I can’t expect the kind of changes I want to see when I look over at Tesla and dream. Unless Carlos sees money to be made in the near term, he won’t budge. I have TSLA to fall back on, so it doesn’t matter really, but for the many others I work with, it’s a shame.

Thank goodness for TSLA “pension” ;)