Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to think that too...so...show us. You don't need a massive PR department, just a simple video on the tesla youtube channel showing their amazing tech that proves parking sensors are no longer needed.
Right now people know that something they have RELIED ON is not included with a £70k+ new car. This is really bad customer relations.

Christ even a tweet from Elon, saying they are 100% certain this is a safe decision to make. But nah, busy talking about twitter instead ffs...
Meh. People need to relax and chill out. Once upon a time you had to actually look over your shoulder, use your rear view and side mirrors, and sometimes you even had to open your door and hang out the side of your vehicle. You can all live a day or two without your little driving crutches until the OTA update comes down the pipe line.

Additionally, everyone who owns their $70k car with sensors now actually gets to keep their sensors. It’s not like Tesla is going to come by and remove them from the cars. 🙄 Trust me, you’ll all live.

The more you give people, the more they demand. It’s obnoxious behavior at best.

One concern we have (spouse and I) is that Tesla is getting ready to give away one of their greatest moats in North America. We follow a few other boards, Hyundai, Lightning F150, Bolt etc. They all love their vehicles and would never consider a Tesla (weird tesla hate) but all hate the charging experience of their vehicles with EA or EC or Petrocan or EVGO or whoever. They can’t wait until the end of the year when tesla opens up their charging network to everyone. Then they’ll all have the only advantage of owning a tesla without having to buy a piece of chit tesla.

Just sayin. I don’t see a big advantage of tesla going down this road. And in my opinion will hurt the company in the long term…and short term.

Jmho.
Next they’ll complain that they have to sit at the SuperChargers twice as long as Tesla owners to get half the charge.

It’ll be fine. Tesla has far more advantages than just the SuperCharger Network. One of their biggest being their generosity to share with the world. Yes, that’s an incomparable advantage. You need to think beyond the superficial.

I think you are overestimating the impact on weight savings and the benefits of better airflow , range and all other stuff that you mentioned, by an ORDER of magnitude.
Yeah it looks like those benefits are a lot smaller than what I’d initially guessed. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

The biggest impacts by far are the implications for where the occupancy network’s capabilities are at and also the cost savings.

I wish we knew more on how much cost this actually saves. The estimates the TMC hive mind has given are ranging from like $100 to $800. Normally Tesla is hoping to save a few dollars or tens of dollars on improvements, so this is a pretty big one. This is worth billions of dollars in extra profit for every 10 million cars Tesla sells, or it lets them drop prices a bit without sacrificing margin.

Every $100 difference in uncertainty about this equates to about $240M or $0.066/share for ‘23 earnings if they make 2.8M cars at 15% tax rate. An average 3 or Y currently costs like $35k to produce (setting aside Q2 craziness), so per our $100-$800 estimates this assembly may have been accounting for 0.3% to 2.3% of the cost structure. At maybe $60k ASP for orders being placed today, this adds .17 to 1.3 percentage points to gross margin.

Just sayin. I don’t see a big advantage of tesla going down this road. And in my opinion will hurt the company in the long term…and short term.

Jmho.
I disagreed with your conclusion, not the observation. Opening the Supercharger network does advance the Tesla mission. Further, they'll just accelerate new charger openings to accommodate that. All that exposure to actual Tesla experiences all around them will certainly help widen the perspective of those other EV drivers. I see no downside short or long term.
Anyway it's profitable business for Tesla.

I guess the news that oil production is getting slashed is just hammering us. F me this is frustrating.

3 of the biggest S&P 500 decliners this morning are alternate energy plays:
  • #1. Enphase Energy -12.9%
  • #4. SolareEdge Technologies -8.2%
  • #6. Generac Holdings -6.2%
Wouldn't it be funny if #7. TSLA was being valued as an Energy company now? :p

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
One concern we have (spouse and I) is that Tesla is getting ready to give away one of their greatest moats in North America. We follow a few other boards, Hyundai, Lightning F150, Bolt etc. They all love their vehicles and would never consider a Tesla (weird tesla hate) but all hate the charging experience of their vehicles with EA or EC or Petrocan or EVGO or whoever. They can’t wait until the end of the year when tesla opens up their charging network to everyone. Then they’ll all have the only advantage of owning a tesla without having to buy a piece of chit tesla.

Jmho.
The supercharger network is the only advantage of owning a Tesla without having to buy a piece of sugar Tesla?

Also if the supercharger network is that great and that’s the main reason anyone buys Tesla cars over other EVs and it causes problems for the business, Tesla could just raise prices for charging non-Tesla cars or something. It’s not like this decision is irreversible.

The supercharger network is the only advantage of owning a Tesla without having to buy a piece of sugar Tesla?

Also if the supercharger network is that great and that’s the main reason anyone buys Tesla cars over other EVs and it causes problems for the business, Tesla could just raise prices for charging non-Tesla cars or something. It’s not like this decision is irreversible.
Pretty sure non-Tesla charging on a supercharger is more expensive so this is not a moat going away but a new profit stream coming in.