Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a reasonable concern to have if you're not familiar with China. Am I saying it's impossible? No. I just think it's very unlikely.

Plus, it wouldn't work. What is being suggested is illegal blackmail and Elon would have no other choice but to tell the blackmailers that he has a legal obligation to his Twitter shareholders and can't take Tesla into consideration. The Chinese government knows and understands this and wouldn't even try because it would discredit them badly.

Of all the things to worry about this one seems awfully unrealistic and contrived.

*Edit: Photo is old, from 2019.

1666141926228.png

Last edited:
Plus, it wouldn't work. What is being suggested is illegal blackmail and Elon would have no other choice but to tell the blackmailers that he has a legal obligation to his Twitter shareholders and can't take Tesla into consideration. The Chinese government knows and understands this and wouldn't even try because it would discredit them badly.

Of all the things to worry about this one seems awfully unrealistic and contrived.
LOL.

China does this with entire COUNTRIES. Plenty of US politicians do the same to companies in terms of punishment (see De Santis vs Disney)

I have no doubt they wouldn’t hesitate to do it to one individual who put himself in such a position that he happened to own both one of the worlds largest social media platforms AND also had a large holding with a different company that has a substantial manufacturing base in China.

LOL.

China does this with entire COUNTRIES.

I have no doubt they wouldn’t hesitate to do it to one individual who put himself in such a position that he happened to own both one of the worlds largest social media platforms AND also had a large holding with a different company that has a substantial manufacturing base in China.
Doing this to Elon would be equivalent to doing this to the USA. They don't have that leverage and Musk would be required to immediately report this to the government because of, at minimum, his security clearance.

Pressuring current Twitter execs/employees, and paying them to do their bidding, would be easier than bending Musk's arm. It's pretty easy to come up with a reason for suspension, if you try hard enough. If you mean to think China would have the power to go so far as to try to get Musk to ban, say, a US govt official...you should just stop having opinions on this topic at all. I'm not trying you be rude, and I know you didn't say that.

The "LOL" does not help your case. It makes me more convinced you're thinking emotionally and are way out of your domain of expertise. Pressuring small, weak, corrupt countries is not at all on the same scale of what you're suggesting.

View attachment 865202
Wait, something doesn't seem right. Are we sure those are Tesla Semis? Because if you expand the view of the posted Google Maps link, and look at nearby Giga Nevada's roof, it has hardly any solar panels. If I'm right, it suggests this is an old photo and those are standard ICE trucks. I'd love this to be true, but doubt it now.

1666142636668.png

Giga Nevada last September (from video in a Teslerati article):
1666142436763.png

Doing this to Elon would be equivalent to doing this to the USA. They don't have that leverage and Musk would be required to immediately report this to the government because of, at minimum, his security clearance.

Pressuring current Twitter execs/employees, and paying them to do their bidding, would be easier than bending Musk's arm. It's pretty easy to come up with a reason for suspension, if you try hard enough. If you mean to think China would have the power to go so far as to try to get Musk to ban, say, a US govt official...you should just stop having opinions on this topic at all. I'm not trying you be rude, and I know you didn't say that.

The "LOL" does not help your case. It makes me more convinced you're thinking emotionally and are way out of your domain of expertise. Pressuring small, weak, corrupt countries is not at all on the same scale of what you're suggesting.
I think he's talking about the US doing it to Elon, not China...

Wait, something doesn't seem right. Are we sure those are Tesla Semis? Because if you expand the view of the posted link, and look at Giga Nevada's roof, it has hardly any solar panels. If I'm right, it suggests this is an old photo and those are standard ICE trucks. I'd love this to be true, but doubt it now.

View attachment 865211

Giga Nevada last September (from video in a Teslerati article):
View attachment 865210
Interesting... sure looks like the old view from Google Maps. Oh Eva...

Edit: Just posted a comment on the Teslarati article pointing this out. We'll see if she replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Yes - I gave my chart to someone on Twitter who posted it.
btw - I am now on Twitter trying to fight the good fight. My account is CPAinNYC
So….did you feint left and go to NYC, or feint right and head to Connecticut? Sly move, whichever one is right

(he’s probably in Delaware or Maine, I’m thinking)

If so, then maybe I'm having a stroke right now. Because it seemed pretty clear that he was talking about China gaining leverage over Elon.

Happy to continue this in a more appropriate thread, if there is one.
He referenced US politicians in his second sentence and the post doesn't make sense if it's not the US. China can't punish a US company in the US, but the US certainly can.

I dont know what you are referring to as small, weak, corrupt countries - china exerts massive influence over all its trading partners. Even the USA doesn‘t fully recognize Taiwan as an independent country. Every country bows to China for access to its markets,, to different degrees. Any company operating their also do.

For example, there is a reason you never see Disney or Apple leadership directly criticize Beijing/China policies.

I will agree to disagree with anyone who doesn’t see this as an obvious pain point if Elon does in fact take ownership of Twitter.

Last edited:
He referenced US politicians in his second sentence and the post doesn't make sense if it's not the US. China can't punish a US company in the US, but the US certainly can.

To clear up any confusion:

I think the following is the risk:

1. China asks Elon/Twitter to moderate posts/users in a certain way on a particular topic on twitters global platform.
2. Elon refuses (Just as Twitter would today).
3. In response, China make things “difficult“ for tesla operations in China in whatever way they wish.

There s no explicit linking of these two events (Elon refusing Chinese government twitter moderation requests & China government making things difficult for Tesla in China), but it will be obvious to both parties exactly what is happening.

Twitter today would not do anything that the China government asked. China has zero leverage over twitter.
That all changes the moment twitter is owned by Elon. At that point China has a very big stick to hit Elon with.

Last edited:
I dont know what you are referring to as small, weak, corrupt countries - china exerts massive influence over all its trading partners. Even the USA doesn‘t fully recognize Taiwan as an independent country. Every country bows to China for access to its markets,, to different degrees. Any company operating their also do.

For example, there is a reason you never see Disney or Apple leadership criticize Beijing/China policies.

I will agree to disagree with anyone who doesn’t see this as an obvious pain point if Elon does in fact take ownership of Twitter.

To clear up any confusion:

I think the following is the risk:

1. China asks Elon/Twitter to moderate posts/users in a certain way on a particular topic on twitters global platform.
2. Elon refuses (Just as Twitter would today).
3. In response, China make things “difficult“ for tesla operations in China In whatever way they wish.

Twitter today would not do anything that the China government asked. China has zero leverage over twitter.
That all changes the moment twitter is owned by Elon. At that point China has a very big stick to hit Elon with.
I fully understand what you're arguing and respectfully disagree as someone who has worked in topics very pertinent to this in particular. Elon does not criticize BJ/China. That does not mean he's beholden to them now or will be if he acquires Twitter. And it seems like you're lacking some critical points on US law and geopolitics re: all of this.

I can't prove I'm right, and don't claim to be able to see the future for certain. I just think this is highly unlikely and I do not find your arguments compelling.

It's easy to have opinions on messy subjects like this and it's one of the reasons investing in general is so difficult. China was actually the reason that I invested in TSLA years ago. I know their government and the Chinese language. China says they're switching to BEVs? That means the whole world is. Who is most likely to benefit? Tesla, was my bet.

Maybe you're confusing that level of influence on the world with blackmailing Musk. You're basically describing a situation that leads to a major international incident and thinking China doesn't consider that in their calculations. It would be very bad for them to try to blackmail Musk...

I am curious about how Elon is going to deal with his Twitter free speech ambitions and the Chinese government, which has a huge stick to wield over Tesla if it wants.

If it becomes a choice between Chinese government “requests” to moderate something on Twitter Vs. Facing disruptions to GigaShanghai, which does Elon hold most dear: Free Speech on Twitter or Tesla operations in China?

In my opinion that is the single biggest new risk Elons ownership of Twitter brings to Tesla (And a good reason for him to get rid of it as soon as practical, be it as a merger or re-float)
I think Musk already answered this. Free speech to the extend as it allows it by LAW. So free speech is illegal in China, Elon will respect that.

His beef is with social media platform developers censoring and banning people as they see fit in countries where the law permits such speech. His absolutist = he will be sure to not ban anyone unless the law is broken, not based on political/social bias/social warrior justices/woke people getting offended/etc.