Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to be a myth that cars with sensitive electronics would be fried by an EMP attack:

Would Your Car Survive An EMP Attack?

It's actually pretty hard to induce enough current in a computer circuit to damage it, - although enough current to flip bits in ram/cache*** is easy. The main weakness is not in microprocessors themselves, but in the bus lines. The longer a continuous wire run, the more power that can be induced on it by an EMP. Which is why it's no myth that EMPs are quite effective at taking out the grid - indeed, the US accidentally did grid damage to Hawaii when doing the Starfish Prime test (750 miles away), and even some limited damage in New Zealand.

*** By contrast, writing out to a magnetic drive with an EMP is almost impossible. The field just isn't that great.
Indeed.

Most of the damage inflicted upon my home infrastructure by the lightning strike on my neighbor's house was consisted of blown above-ground ethernet ports where the UTP funneled that energy in to them. Second most common were some cheaper electronics where the power cord channeled the energy in to an unsuspecting power supply.

One ethernet switch (the concentration point for lots of that UTP) literally got smoked... I could smell it. Another lost about 2/3rds the ports.

Of course it is possible, I’m surprised to see anyone agree with your statement. Saying demand is peaking doesn’t mean there’s no more demand. It means that overall across all markets there may be limited growth potential in demand for premium M3s.

Might as well say that any product has limited growth potential to some certain percentage of world population. Of course that's a meaningless metric until the potential market is actually saturated.

I don't get it. Isn't it the judge's job to RULE of a case like this? It's like a school principal sending a victim and a bully into a back room telling them to "come to an agreement".

What am I missing here?
She is giving them a chance to clarify the CD. Query: if you have an agreement, what is it, because it is certainly not understandable as is? Although it is interesting to discuss throwing out the CD and trying the funding secured tweet, probably neither party wants to do that. So as others have said you have an opportunity to fix this before I throw out the CD and contempt. Remember the parties originally thought it was a good idea to settle. They may still not want to litigate the original issue.

If it is being closed, Tesla is run by a complete nicompoop. I hope this is just a rumor. That would be the single dumbest thing I've seen Tesla do.

Mr. Musk, we actually need service centers within a reasonable driving distance. No, Mobile Service is not an adequate substitute.

Latest rumor is that they laid off the entire service staff but the site is still open and a replacement staff is on its way.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and neroden
I don't get it. Isn't it the judge's job to RULE of a case like this? It's like a school principal sending a victim and a bully into a back room telling them to "come to an agreement".

What am I missing here?

It is the judge's job to resolve the situation at hand AND to keep the parties (in this case the SEC) from continuing to file contempt charges using up court time. She could have ruled but knows that the problem will continue.

IMO, she did the right thing in saying...'Put on your reasonable big boy pants' and work this out OR I will....and you both (especially the SEC, may not like my ruling). The original settlement language is vague at best and useless at worst for BOTH parties.

The SEC NEVER reached out to the Tesla lawyers to say...'Hey, let's talk, we are very concerned about you monitoring the tweets. If you don't want to talk about this we will file contempt charges'.

The issue is the structural ribs in the pack. 2170s wouldn't pack well in the available space. Tesla would need to redesign the structure with is a big part of the car's strength.

Hmmm... the 2170's are about 36% more circular area than an 18650 (346.19mm vs 254.34mm)

According to wk57, the S modules are ~12x27" ( 312 x 702mm), so this is the space between the existing pack ribs.

According to engineering toolbox there is also a 36% difference the number of 21mm circles (532) vs 18mm circles (726) that can fit in a rectangle that size:

rec18.JPG

rec21.JPG

Is it? If it fits inside the existing enclosure, which I believe it would, they could just use the Model 3 type cooling passages and connecting plates built into modules which fit the S/X dimensions. I'm not saying they are going to or should be doing this now, I just don't think it's all that difficult.

Only in the front "penthouse" section. I think wk057 has commented that he believes there is enough space.

wk057's teardown also noted ~1/4" (6mm) dead space in the bottom of the pack. If that's not a needed "safety deformation buffer", the existing pack may be able to accommodate the 2170's vertically... especially with the elimination of the bottom connection bus bars.

If that area is ready for presses to be installed in July/August, how long does it ‘generally’ take from day 1 of install to actually producing production parts?

A million variables and you’ve given an entire month range for a start date.

What kind of press line? New? Used? How many pieces is it coming in? Who’s putting it together and how good are they? Do they run into any problems during assembly? (Hint: they always do.).

Roughing it out: it’s 4-6 months to install a press line I’d expect them to be using and get it ready for the first set of dies to go.

But the dies don’t just go in and voila. The presses have to be programmed and set up for each specific set, add in end of arm tooling, scrap set up, sensors, etc...

Then you get to try out each die in each individual press. But you don’t get to just turn them on, you have to manually jog that first hit, little by little, check clearance, bottoming out, cushion pressures blah, blah, blah, making program changes as needed. Then you get to see if the part formed proper, did it wrinkle, did it tear, did it draw deep enough, etc...

You don’t get to go to the next operation until you have a decent part from the first/previous operation. You have to perfect the end of arm tooling - that can be super tedious and time consuming. If you run into a die problem you might have to pull the whole set and put in a different set while the first gets worked on.

Setting up and trialing the dies is a weeks and/or months long process. How long it takes depends on how good the die designs are, the quality of the die workmanship, the complexity of the part, how talented the toolmaker doing the trial is, how good the press programmer is etc... It can sail along or it can be a real hair pulling clusterduck.

If they want to be making parts in any steady state quantity before year end, I’d say they better be installing that press line no later than June 1st and then sacrifice some chickens or goats to the Gods. Although, this is an exercise in copy and paste so not their first rodeo. We should be able to deduct some time.

And there’s work arounds if they aren’t quite that fast and lucky. The tool shop making the dies could run a bank of parts before sending the dies to Tesla. That way Tesla could make cars before they’ve fully completed die trials.

I think there are other areas more deserving of concern timing-wise than stamping simply based on the fact stamping has never been a bottleneck at Tesla - they seem to have a good grasp of that - but they still sure aren’t leaving a lot of leeway.

Last edited:
But it will take a long time. Just as most homes/apartments won't have changers installed for a long time.

FSD needs to handle majority of the conditions ...

Yep, I also hear it takes a long time to build a Gigafactory and yet...before our eyes...

It takes no time at all (relative) when we actually decide and make up our minds and then the human race can be crazy busy little bees and go a lot faster than first imagined.

I have little faith in us in general - just look at us - but I also know that which is humanly possible can be astounding. So I’m not interested in the ‘but it will take a long time’ kind of excuses.

Yep, I also hear it takes a long time to build a Gigafactory and yet...before our eyes...

It takes no time at all (relative) when we actually decide and make up our minds and then the human race can be crazy busy little bees and go a lot faster than first imagined.

I have little faith in us in general - just look at us - but I also know that which is humanly possible can be astounding. So I’m not interested in the ‘but it will take a long time’ kind of excuses.
The point is you can't program for ideal world. You need to program for the real world.

Fiat Chysler paying Tesla to offset CO2 emissions in Europe to the tune of 100s of millions of Euros.

Reported in Financial times...

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has agreed to pay Tesla hundreds of millions of euros so the electric carmaker’s vehicles are counted in its fleet in order to avoid large fines for breaking tough new EU emissions rules."

More details in article.

Last edited:
Fiat Chysler paying Tesla to offset CO2 emissions in Europe to the tune of 100s of millions of Euros.

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has agreed to pay Tesla hundreds of millions of euros so the electric carmaker’s vehicles are counted in its fleet in order to avoid large fines for breaking tough new EU emissions rules."

More details in article.
Ummm, this confuses me a little. How can Teslas be part of FCA's "fleet"?

Reactions: M|S|W and MP3Mike

More details in article.

Wait...what??? For real?? Like 200 million or 800 million? When does the money hit the bank account?

More details in article.

Is this the thing Karen and Sandy Munro have hinted at?

Ummm, this confuses me a little. How can Teslas be part of FCA's "fleet"?

More details in article.
Whoa if this is true does it mean that all the other ones who cheated, like VW, will have to do the same?