Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was FUD from Reuters AGAIN!!!

quote: "On December 5, it was reported that due to insufficient demand, Tesla's Shanghai plant will take the initiative to reduce production by 20%. In this regard, relevant people in Tesla China responded to the reporter of the Shanghai Stock Exchange by calling it "false information." At the same time, according to the sales data released by Tesla on the evening of December 5, "

Well, thats just as convincing as the rumor itself. I'll just go with no production cut, suits me better.

Tesla China says
77FAE540-1E64-4D47-B126-3F964E840207.gif

It appears Reuters and TeslIke are officially part of the short/distort industry. Even Maurer got taken in. Disappointing.

There is a common belief here that Tesla never has demand problems. This is demonstrably false. For example, I purchased my first S with a 1 percent loan bought down by Tesla to move cars. I got free supercharging for life and a couple of add ons free with the second. China seems perfectly normal Tesla behavior in an economy racked by Covid
There are regular local inventory balancing issues, but it has seemed consistently to have been local and end of reporting period inventory management. Oddly, perhaps, that is a tiny bit like other OEM's except that they have regular promotions and built in dealer incentives that may or may not been disclosed to consumers.

My first Tesla, a P85D had an 8% discount but...it was a slightly blemished demonstrator that had nearly 5000 miles. My P3D had Free Supercharging added after delivery. Those things do happen. Still has there ever been actual evidence of any demand weakness anywhere?
There has been reporting period 'waves' that we endlessly debate and have done for as long as I know, since 2014. Despite that there still are more commonly waits after order for various periods. My last two were more than a year. Another I have been waiting for much longer.

We'll soon know what the actual China sales have been for December. Overall it seems that is the only one in real question.

If we really need FUD we should note that grey market deliveries to Ukraine and Russia have both dropped to nearly zero!:eek:

Last edited:
So, this production cut rumor will either be proven false by Tesla China in a statement, proven false if it is forced/mandatory due to Covid or better yet, proven false due to December being another all time production record. Time will tell.

Oh, and MSM are making bank on this, no matter the outcome...

And the report of a production cut of "more than 20% compared to November" is also consistent with a previous report about quarterly production.
And both of those are consistent with Tesla stopping production for 1 week in the quarter, which is something that it's been known to do since it started producing cars at Fremont.

Anything is feasible. But the best part is no part, yes? There's a very strong likelihood that rheostatic braking is completely unnecessary for the Semi, let alone 3,Y,S, &X. I liked the idea initially too, but it's probably a solution in search of a problem.
Again... I'm not sure where anybody suggested this was "necessary". Clearly you can drive downhill using just friction brakes when regen is unavailable due to SOC/temp issues. I've been doing it on my S for a decade now.

But now that the semi is here, there's some new factors to consider in dealing with 80,000+ lb gross vehicle weights... witness the first time Tesla has introduced clutches in the driveline. So, another significant new issue for semi drivers is the lack of being able to have any driveline braking when it's cold, forcing you to use friction brakes the entire downgrade. With 40+ tons rolling that might just be significant.

So yes... no part is the best part. I prefer that we don't have mechanical wear/failure points like clutches. But requirements dictate design. So, this discussion was about a potential requirement and possible solution.

Would there be cost and additional complexity? Sure, Would it be a useful tradeoff? Maybe. Would making it an option for a subset be worthwhile? I suspect for somebody who drives in Canada or many sections of the US during the winters, such a cold-weather package might be make a Tesla Semi a much more attractive (and safe) option.

Again, this subset-discussion is largely conjecture about how the issue could be addressed. As to if Tesla will do it and/or what the expense would be isn't something anybody else introduced.

Only down as much as BYD now. I guess that’s better.
Again... I'm not sure where anybody suggested this was "necessary". Clearly you can drive downhill using just friction brakes when regen is unavailable due to SOC/temp issues. I've been doing it on my S for a decade now.

But now that the semi is here, there's some new factors to consider in dealing with 80,000+ lb gross vehicle weights... witness the first time Tesla has introduced clutches in the driveline. So, another significant new issue for semi drivers is the lack of being able to have any driveline braking when it's cold, forcing you to use friction brakes the entire downgrade. With 40+ tons rolling that might just be significant.

So yes... no part is the best part. I prefer that we don't have mechanical wear/failure points like clutches. But requirements dictate design. So, this discussion was about a potential requirement and possible solution.

Would there be cost and additional complexity? Sure, Would it be a useful tradeoff? Maybe. Would making it an option for a subset be worthwhile? I suspect for somebody who drives in Canada or many sections of the US during the winters, such a cold-weather package might be make a Tesla Semi a much more attractive (and safe) option.

Again, this subset-discussion is largely conjecture about how the issue could be addressed. As to if Tesla will do it and/or what the expense would be isn't something anybody else introduced.
Easy. Just model it after the preheating system our cars use when headed towards a supercharger. If your battery is cold and the route shows heavy downslopes then warm the battery automatically. Seems unlikely though as why would the semi begin it's trip from the top of the mountain?

Only down as much as BYD now. I guess that’s better.

Easy. Just model it after the preheating system our cars use when headed towards a supercharger. If your battery is cold and the route shows heavy downslopes then warm the battery automatically. Seems unlikely though as why would the semi begin it's trip from the top of the mountain?
That's a good potential solution for nav-enabled trips with enough lead time to heat a couple tons of cold soaked battery. I wonder what type of inline coolant heater it takes to do that, and what they have in the truck?

There are plenty of scenarios where the elevation change from a starting point is negative, for some portions of the route it would be steep enough that not having to ride friction brakes the whole time would be useful. Denver is one example.

Reactions: Nocturnal

Posting pictures of the text debunking Roto-REUTERS fud doesn't make it into the searchable record. Here's the translated text: (pictured above)

"On December 5, it was reported that due to insufficient demand, Tesla's Shanghai plant will take the initiative to reduce production by 20%. In this regard, relevant people in Tesla China responded to the reporter of the Shanghai Stock Exchange by calling it "false information." At the same time, according to the sales data released by Tesla on the evening of December 5, Tesla delivered more than 100,000 vehicles in the Chinese market in November, a month-on-month increase of about 40% and a year-on-year increase of 89%."​

Rob said this was a possible concern, he did NOT state it was his "best guess for the rumor" as you stated in your post.

Huge difference, and very disingenuous of you.
Hate to say it but Rob got played here. Either the false rumor was already supplied to Rob or iBloomberg/Rueters actually took advantage of Rob’s reporting and turned his podcast into the rumor. Either way, probably a lesson to Rob to not report on speculation for the time being.

We’ve had two consecutive fud rumors that have been blatantly false. The first one was the rumor that the order rate after the price cut wasn’t good and that Tesla was going to be doing a second massive price cut. But as we’ve gotten data, that rumor was disproven. Now they just come out with another rumor that they know can’t be dispelled by days until Q4 P/D numbers.

So Rob should realize that dynamic that is present when it comes to any and all Tesla China speculation