Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s interesting to read through the responses to this Pepsi Tesla semi post. Somewhat evenly split between “wow that’s awesome, I’m switching to Pepsi” and “EV’s run on dirty coal power” Nobody arguing fraud or that’s impossible. One anti-Musk response. Seems relatively normal.
Yes, was seeing same. Gotta wonder if the "EV's run on dirty coal power" are bots even if Elon says they've gotten rid of them. Don't have any idea how Rancho Cordova gets it's power, but I doubt it's coal.

The media is habitually trying to paint Tesla in the most negative light possible. When will you learn that it's most often better to say nothing to the media, than to get in a recurring "tit for tat" with them that just continues the narrative?

If Tesla denies, then the media says, "Tesla denied the reports on Tuesday but, on Wednesday, Mark Buttlinger of Big Fart Capital said, "Enron also denied accounting irregularities just two weeks before regulators raided their offices and seized computers and boxes full of documents. It's often quietest right before the storm". Other investors are questioning how the denial could possibly be true."

For a company that so many want to fail, including most of the mainstream media, it's almost always better to focus on the tasks at hand, proving the rumors wrong by your actions, rather than giving the rumors and the people who create them credibility by commenting on them. If a lack of comment on every silly rumor shakes your confidence as an investor, maybe you should look within yourself to see why you give such rumors so much credibility rather than blaming the company for doing the best thing and not giving the rumors more legs than they already have. It's better to just say nothing, most of time. That way saying nothing becomes the expected norm.
While you are correctly addressing the deceptive nature of MSM, consider how shareholders, especially those who are not super familiar with Tesla resiliency, can benefit. They would really appreciate some sort of response, so that they are not overwhelmed by negative false information 24/7. The decision as to whom to listen to and whether to buy or sell is still theirs to make but at least provide them with our side of the story. Tesla can't just remain a hidden gem, an investment for the most hardcore. Other companies are not being constantly targeted and their shareholders are not constantly being lied to. A little clarity, a brief message that says "we're fine", isn't too much to ask for. Let's not forget this is a harsh environment for investors. Tesla is working extremely hard to deliver good results but so are its investors in staying the course and supporting the mission. Empathy.

Last edited:
I've never met him - how so? Seems very climate-focused.

Edit: (not sure why @ElectricIAC adds a laughing emoji for practically every one of my posts) This post is about curiousity, it's not intended to be humorous like most of my posts...
He's full of it. You can literally google his name and scammer and there will be a lot of reading. He's mislead retail investors, even led the WSB crew one way, faked and unloaded, *sugar* like that quite often. He was the one behind Clover Heath. Dude is the king of pump and dumps. It's ironic you wrote that he's climate focused when he calls ESG a scam, that irony. But anyways for ex.

We are running out of good companies: list more frauds <<Bah, looks like FT is walled, anyways article was a summation of the pump and dumps...

Last edited:
The media is habitually trying to paint Tesla in the most negative light possible. When will you learn that it's most often better to say nothing to the media, than to get in a recurring "tit for tat" with them that just continues the narrative?

If Tesla denies, then the media says, "Tesla denied the reports on Tuesday but, on Wednesday, Mark Buttlinger of Big Fart Capital said, "Enron also denied accounting irregularities just two weeks before regulators raided their offices and seized computers and boxes full of documents. It's often quietest right before the storm". Other investors are questioning how the denial could possibly be true."
Nope, not buying it. FUD headline comes out like "China shutting down 20% of factory" or something and that snowballs for days because Tesla doesn't immediately make a loud official announcement to the contrary. The specific point to which I was replying in any case was that Elon's recent purchase was to control the narrative better and I was suggesting a far more cost effective way to have done it.

While you are correctly addressing the deceptive nature of MSM, consider how shareholders, especially those who are not super familiar with Tesla resiliency, can benefit. They would really appreciate some sort of response, so that they are not overwhelmed by negative false information 24/7. The decision as to whom to listen to and whether to buy or sell is still theirs to make but at least provide them with our side of the story. Tesla can't just remain a hidden gem, an investment for the most hardcore. Other companies are not being constantly targeted and their shareholders are not constantly being lied to. A little clarity, a brief message that says "we're fine", isn't too much to ask for. Let's not forget this is a harsh environment for investors. Tesla is working extremely hard to deliver good results but so are its investors in staying the course and supporting the mission. Empathy.
That seems sensible, but also sadly unrealistic. Wall Street is full of characters who sell their mothers for a buck.

Investors in other quality companies are absolutely lied to routinely, daily, minute-to-minute to get them to sell their shares cheaply by using mind games, no matter whether those companies have sophisticated PR departments that apply the soporific.

Indeed, the whole Wall Street infrastructure is geared toward focusing investors on the short-term and then to pick their pockets. In the best world, this thread is a counteraction to that. Simply put, none of the noise matters. None of it. Even if you answer it, it brings everyone's attention to the short-term and thereby the effort is rendered meaningless at best.

I've never met him - how so? Seems very climate-focused.

Edit: (not sure why @ElectricIAC adds a laughing emoji for practically every one of my posts) This post is about curiousity, it's not intended to be humorous, like most of my posts...
He was the instigator behind SPACs that were terrible companies and after listing them unloaded all his holdings as soon as he could, after relentlessly promoting them as great companies with amazing futures. He caused much in the way of huge financial loses to those that hung on his every word as some sort of investment genius.

Technically didn’t break any laws - but definitely qualifies him as a gigantic douchebag.

I think we need to retire the phrase "demand problem." Demand will naturally fluctuate both seasonally, and due to external factors like overall economic conditions and impending incentives. But Tesla has such high margins and such a large cash warchest that it's hard to imagine any such variation in demand adding up to a "problem" for them.

If anything, those external factors pose a much larger risk to Tesla's competition; and will only serve to highlight Tesla's competitive advantages.

Exactly! Tesla's MSRP's, and thus margins, will be impacted by economic climate and seasonal variations. Tesla will never hesitate to lower MSRP's so they can continue to expand production. In good times profits will be, how shall we say this...unusually high. During bad economic conditions Tesla will offer deals too good to pass up and their margins will still be solidly profitable. Everyone should already understand this.

But your last sentence is the really important part. When Tesla's MSRP's and margins are the lowest, that is precisely when their competition (currently almost entirely ICE with a long, slow transition to EV over the decade) will have the hardest go of it. That means the number one thing that most conventional investors think is Tesla's #1 problem (the competition is coming) will be exposed for the lie that it is. I'm not rooting for a harsher and more extended recession, but I am not afraid of recession when it comes to Tesla. Exposing the lie that the competition is coming would be a big deal in terms of demand for the shares. And don't doubt just how well Tesla sales will hold up if it comes to that. Yes, big price cuts, but growing sales and continuing profitability would finally expose Tesla for the juggernaut that we know it to be. And it would do it in an irrefutable manner. The cat would be out of the bag. The "competition" would be left in shambles in such an environment.

This means TSLA stock is likely to do very well in a harsh and extended downturn, at least relative to the overall market. The current response is simply the impact of conventional thinking and the fact that the recession has not been deep enough or long enough to expose the lie that competition is coming, at least not in obvious fashion. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen individual stocks soar due to conditions most investors were sure would be very bad for the share price. The market often responds to stimuli in ways that surprise most market participants, and this would be one of those situations, should the economic climate continue to deteriorate. Again, the reason for this is that it would highlight just how efficiently Tesla can manufacture cars, how poorly their peers fare, and how important efficiency of manufacture is during economically uncertain times when overall auto sales fall.

A big reason so many are blind to this is that the media has not been covering Tesla's outrageous margins on EV's. They mostly ignore it completely or, when high margins are actually mentioned, they are generally written off as being due to regulatory credits and/or the fact that EV's are in short supply right now, relative to demand, things that are both likely to change soon, they explain.

But the first reason is laughable because it's a relatively minor component of Tesla's margins and the second reason is not supported when you compare Tesla's EV margins to their peers. If EV's have such a positive demand/supply ratio, then why are not all EV's delivering high margins? The other error here is thinking that the supply/demand curve for EV's is about to invert. That's wrong because we are still in the early growth phases of EV adoption and traditional analysts do't understand how complete this transition will become in the foreseeable future. Remember, it's not the high margins themselves that are the key advantage, it's how high they are relative to their peers. Even if Tesla's margins were knocked down as low as 5-10% in a severe recession it would still be a huge net positive if their peers were at -5% or -10% just to move product they had already manufactured. note: I do not expect Tesla's margins would go that low in anything other than utter economic chaos and destruction (and in that case, all bets are off for just about everything you thought you knew).

I trust you know what it means to have a large disconnect between perception and reality. That's one of the best indicators of guaranteed profit (assuming the disconnect is in the right direction). Sure, it may take a while for the market to recognize that value, for perception to align with reality, but there is little doubt that a strong and extended recession would expose the difference between Tesla and the rest in a manner never before seen. The difference would likely be so obvious that one quarterly report might be enough to cause immediate recognition of Tesla's true standing. Don't fear difficult economic times when it comes to Tesla.

using 2008 as my worst case scenario. i do not think 2022 is any worse for stock market than 2008 in terms of macros.
2008 Yearly returns followed by 2009 Yearly returns look very encouraging
2008 performance
QQQ -41.77%
$compq -40.54%
AAPL -56.91%
I could go on and on but bottom line in 2009 all these stocks rebounded sharply. Year to date Tesla down -57% or so -62% since November 2021 and sure it could get worse or better in the next two weeks
However, probability favors rebound in 2023

A bit of philosophy from an amazing PhD level therapist that I happen to know

do not confuse probability with possibility

Do not confuse problems with preferences

When I think in those terms, my gosh, I feel so good . Suddenly, everything looks great. unless Tesla goes bankrupt or there is some financial wrongdoings like Enron even if stock goes down big time from here and my taxable account is wiped down to zero my worst case scenario is better than 99% of individuals out there

So there’s nothing to worry about

I will focus on living my life

Every employee is getting hammered by the low stock price. The harm is huge, if the compensation plan is to make up for low wages with stock then the stock needs to hold value or appreciate. Mark my words this is ruining some Tesla employees.

It depends. I work for an EV manufacturer that when public via a Spac this year and the stock has tanked hugely. Stock options that I got 5 years ago are not even worth exercising because the strike price is higher than the current share price 🤣. I got some RSU's after they when public that are already becoming vested and they are worth some money but not much. Yeah it is somewhat depressing that options and stock didn't become a huge bonus but it doesn't affect my work. I always saw that type kind of compensation as something extra; as the cherry on top that was not certain. I might get more RSU's early next year and I hope they increase the share count a lot to compensate for the low stock price.

It depends. I work for an EV manufacturer that when public via a Spac this year and the stock has tanked hugely. Stock options that I got 5 years ago are not even worth exercising because the strike price is higher than the current share price 🤣. I got some RSU's after they when public that are already becoming vested and they are worth some money but not much. Yeah it is somewhat depressing that options and stock didn't become a huge bonus but it doesn't affect my work. I always saw that type kind of compensation as something extra; as the cherry on top that was not certain. I might get more RSU's early next year and I hope they increase the share count a lot to compensate for the low stock price.
I'd like to thank you and your colleagues & I'm sure many others helping the world move to renewable transport. I hope it works out.