Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are saying the massive positive increase in Tesla’s financial fundamentals since 2020 (revenue, net income, unit volume) - far exceeding that of Apple and the SPY - had nothing to do with the massive TSLA share price increase? It was all due to the fed?
Might just be that all the money printing, 0% interest rates, massive increase in leverage, and everything else, along with the shot upwards in Tesla's financials drew more cash towards the stock like moths towards a bright light. I have no idea, but I can look at other stocks and get a feeling that your selecting certain timeframes and lamenting the decline in Tesla's stock versus others seems to have a bias built into it.

The NASDAQ is up 8% since Feb 2020.

YTD loss is -60,88%. 2/3 would be 66,66%.
Close enough in my book.
Screenshot_20221220-162425.png

No offense but this guy is trolling us all now.

Dude...the intentions / motivations are different...it's not a troll and it's important to decide for yourself if what he says and does is in your best interests.

Elon: guide towards humanity on Mars and a sustainable future on Earth.

Me: Build a nice life for myself with investments based on companies that deliver products/services from his goals. Part of this means helping make that sustainable future happen in my own ways that include my partner and me.

Sometimes, the intentions are aligned (e.g. I'm mission focused on the investments in some of his companies he's started/leading). Sometimes not (e.g. selling from the investments to diversify for my own interests). You need to figure out your intentions and if they align with what Elon is saying/doing in the public. Then, make decisions. It's healthier that way...hopefully that helps.

Alright just threw another $100k in. I haven’t been paying much attention to Tesla news. Is there a demand problem that someone knows and we don’t? I just don’t understand how the forward P/E could get this low. I seriously hope these TSLA “influencers” don’t pressure Elon into making a poll asking if he should step down from Tesla. That is my only concern. Everything else will pass.

Context is everything man and that was an overly dramatic post dude. And gifts... c'mon now.
Gifts: precisely. ALL Stock Compensation plans are gifts from the universe of a company's shareholders to those so bestowed. The context is as I posted a long, long time ago - way back on Thursday, perhaps - enumerating the strictures binding Mr Musk to Tesla. From another's post, he then compounded the insult by using the word simple. Only a simpleton sincerely believes he can hide behind the change of interest rates to the change of a company's share price. A responsible CEO would have been at the helm, doing all he could to assist his passengers aka shareholders weather the altered interest rate environment. Mr Musk is no simpleton, ergo he is insincere.

Now: have I changed? For years, I have assiduously avoided criticizing or lauding Mr Musk on the thread but I also have kept careful record of his statements, and to the extent they were important, placed my investment decisions accordingly. For close to all of 2022, I have found it impossible to continue in that manner, and thus yes, I have changed. I do still remain stupendously excited at the splendid future that awaits Tesla, Inc. but I now warn: That future is Tesla's to lose. The company needs now as much as it needed in prior years a fully interested, fully involved leader.

Of course Twitter is a distraction. I believe even those who sincerely see a way for it eventually to become the multipurpose financial system that PayPal once might have become will not disagree with that remark. To me as a TSLA shareholder that is neither the point nor an acceptable excuse. His job is CEO of Tesla - and that is a description, and not a title.

This is a nonsense response from Elon - completely ignoring the much larger fall in TSLA vs other big cap & the SPY (made even more outsized a disparity given TSLA vastly better financial metrics)
I follow a lot of fintwit and my timeline is filled with replies to that tweet educating Elon on the basics. Its painful to watch him getting schooled.

So you are saying the massive positive increase in Tesla’s financial fundamentals since 2020 (revenue, net income, unit volume) - far exceeding that of Apple and the SPY - had nothing to do with the massive TSLA share price increase? It was all due to the fed?

There was a massive increase in fundamentals but there was an even greater increase in the SP. From bottom in March 2020 at 30 to 400 in November 2021 was more than a 10x move. Fundamentals didn't go up 10x. It was the Fed.

Dude...the intentions / motivations are different...it's not a troll and it's important to decide for yourself if what he says and does is in your best interests.

Elon: guide towards humanity on Mars and a sustainable future on Earth. Killing the woke mind virus. It's more important than anything else.

Fixed that for you. Tesla isn't priority #1

We shouldn't be pissed at Chicken Little. I also appreciate the support from the TMC community. Unfortunately, I'm starting to question if our mutual support has been actually helpful this year or self-deceptive, where we're "enabling" each other to just lose money hand over fist.

Are you losing money "hand over fist"? Then you're doing it wrong. You are supposed to buy low and sell high.

I haven't lost anything. In fact, both my realized and unrealized TSLA net gains to date are far more than any money I've invested. If you are selling at these prices then I can't help you.

I follow a lot of fintwit and my timeline is filled with replies to that tweet educating Elon on the basics. Its painful to watch him getting schooled.

He's not wrong though. Comparing TSLA to AAPL or SPY is not the right comparison as TSLA went up 10x while AAPL only went up 2x. Same with SPY. There is more to fall with TSLA like there was with ARKK.

I hope Tesla has parked its 20 billion in those guaranteed short term notes. Let's see, six month at 4.5 % gives you 225 million per quarter divided by share count gives us a pop of 0.07 per share fully diluted. Let's shave off my two cents and we got a whole nickel of earnings! Woohoo! Is that more than Amazon?

Come on, we can add that to a massive beat. Whaddya say?
Unless FTT was bought with it , like you know some genius bought some coin a while ago and caused us longs more consternation.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
There was a massive increase in fundamentals but there was an even greater increase in the SP. From bottom in March 2020 at 30 to 400 in November 2021 was more than a 10x move. Fundamentals didn't go up 10x. It was the Fed.
If I recall correctly, I think some people attributed the moves up to short squeezes along the way as well. Those who had shorts at the start of 2020 as the Fed massively eased monetary conditions and cranked the money printers up to 11, they got cleaned out.

This history is now all but forgotten and we're left with people looking at the absolute peak wondering how the stock is now declining so much worse than others and the indices who shot up a tiny fraction of the amount in the same time period.