Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chances are low that Trump will sign such a bill, but why keep any individual manufacturer cap at all? There's an argument for an overall, manufacturer-blind cap, but why punish the companies that took the biggest risks and are driving electrification?

They better get some clarity soon on the chances of passing both houses and Trump's willingness to sign. Until then, a lot of people considering making a purchase will pull back and wait for the chance to receive an additional $3,250.

The chances are low that Trump will sign such a bill, but why keep any individual manufacturer cap at all? There's an argument for an overall, manufacturer-blind cap, but why punish the companies that took the biggest risks and are driving electrification?
Generally true due to his oil leanings, but as the law stands right now, it will benefit mostly foreign OEMS (and maybe Ford). GM and Tesla will be at a disadvantage. The other side of Trump is the pro American populism, made in America etc. This side of Trump may lean in favor of the bill.

The best case scenario is that the bill is part of larger package with much bigger issues that matter to Trump, and that he wouldn't really care one way or another about the EV credit as long as he gets his more important legislation passed. Hard to put an odds on this now, but I'd say it's still under 50% right now (but that could change quickly).

It isn't about punishing anyone, its about benefiting someone. Like GM. Who is facing a drought in Bolt sales as the M3 base is cheaper and more compelling. Someone has to think of the American car manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Generally true due to his oil leanings, but as the law stands right now, it will benefit mostly foreign OEMS (and maybe Ford). GM and Tesla will be at a disadvantage. The other side of Trump is the pro American populism, made in America etc. This side of Trump may lean in favor of the bill.

you would have a point if Trump actually cared about America, but he doesn't. he cares about his cronies and his investments. period. I guarantee he would veto this bill.

The best case scenario is that the bill is part of larger package with much bigger issues that matter to Trump, and that he wouldn't really care one way or another about the EV credit as long as he gets his more important legislation passed. Hard to put an odds on this now, but I'd say it's still under 50% right now (but that could change quickly).
I'm not sure why you think it would benefit overseas OEMs -- who other than GM and Tesla are on the edge? Have I missed something? I'll admit, I may have overlooked Nissan and will check that, but even if so that would be one vs two -- and most importantly, GM.

[edit: by my calculation, by end of 2018 Nissan had sold ~130k Leaf in the US. Their best year was 2014, but even including that for a five year average it would take over four years for them to hit 200k and that seems a bit generous.]

I did some sensitivity analysis on Tesla's reported accident in Q1-19. It seems Tesla's total accidents (AP + non-AP) have reduced per mile. As for the very slight uptick in accident rates in miles on AP, it can mostly be attributed to more difficult parts of driving that are now done on AP (e.g. lane merge, on ramp, etc.). Elektrek as usual is reporting the story in a more negative way that AP accidents are increasing.

So conclusion is that with increasing usage of AP the total accidents are reducing.

Edit : the measure is million miles per accident.
Nice, and we also need to remember that there is a reason comparisons are done between same quarters. The worst of winter weather is in Q1 so the fact they were able to have fewer accidents overall in worse weather is very interesting. The car keeps getting safer. Hmmm, maybe I regret not paying the $2k for FSD. I couldn't imagine using FSD that much but I bet HW3 will be able to prevent even more accidents.

Going nowhere. Ignore.

Republican Lamar Alexander is a Senator for Nissan, er, I mean Tennessee and Republican Collins is a moderate. Except maybe the Senator for Orion Plant (Michigan) the rest of the Republican Senate is _not_ going to vote for it. The EV tax credits will be left alone.

Nice, and we also need to remember that there is a reason comparisons are done between services quarters. The worst of winter weather is in Q1 so the fact they were able to have fewer accidents overall in worse weather is very interesting. The car keeps getting safer.

Also good to remember, this is not filtered by at-fault accidents. If someone hits you, that counts against Tesla...

Nice, and we also need to remember that there is a reason comparisons are done between same quarters. The worst of winter weather is in Q1 so the fact they were able to have fewer accidents overall in worse weather is very interesting. The car keeps getting safer. Hmmm, maybe I regret not paying the $2k for FSD. I couldn't imagine using FSD that much but I bet HW3 will be able to prevent even more accidents.

It should be pointed out that clear majority of Teslas are not in states where winter weather present frequent driving problems.

Why is the new EV bill focusing on number of vehicles per manufacturer? Tesla will hit the new target in no time. They need to extend the credit until a future date, like 2022 or 2025, and then reduce it for everyone at the same time!

Because the extension is not for the benefit of Tesla, but for GM, who will take another decade or more to reach 400K.
It is not a coincidence that the bill was entered just 9 days after GM reached its limit!

I'm not sure why you think it would benefit overseas OEMs -- who other than GM and Tesla are on the edge? Have I missed something? I'll admit, I may have overlooked Nissan and will check that, but even if so that would be one vs two -- and most importantly, GM.

[edit: by my calculation, by end of 2018 Nissan had sold ~130k Leaf in the US. Their best year was 2014, but even including that for a five year average it would take over four years for them to hit 200k and that seems a bit generous.]
I think he means that the current law benefits Nissan, BMW, Hyundai etc because they still get the full $7500 credit. The proposed bill would help Tesla and GM.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and humbaba
I think you answered your own question.

[edited to add: this most likely is to address the slump in Bolt sales so that they can keep generating enough ZEV to keep the company in compliance.]
I started to write the same thing in reply and noticed you added this edit. Yes this is just to keep the oil whores meeting their requirements to produce polluting junk without being forced to deal with Tesla like FCA.

Why is the new EV bill focusing on number of vehicles per manufacturer? Tesla will hit the new target in no time. They need to extend the credit until a future date, like 2022 or 2025, and then reduce it for everyone at the same time!
The "problem" with your proposal is this: the tax break is always framed as benefiting the manufacturer, even though it is the buyer who receives (and must qualify for) the tax break. This can perhaps be rationalized by the manufacturer raising the MSRP by the amount of the tax break, and other than Tesla that is guaranteed to be the case.

Why does this matter? For politicians, the point of the bill is to benefit their customers. I mean donors. That means GM, Nissan, whoever. But definitely not Tesla. And, because Tesla actually makes EVs for sale (rather than compliance cars for credits), they would reap far more benefit from inflated sales prices. Put another way, if by that date there were $50B worth of tax breaks then Tesla will have taken $49B of that benefit. This isn't fair (from GM's point of view anyway).

Sorry, if it was not clear, what I meant is the way the law stands now (assuming this bill doesn't get passed), then GM and Tesla remain at a disadvantage to other OEMs (including foreign ones).

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and humbaba
Sorry, if it was not clear, what I meant is the way the law stands now (assuming this bill doesn't get passed), then GM and Tesla remain at a disadvantage to other OEMs (including foreign ones).
My bad for reading too quickly. Yes, because GM is considered at a disadvantage I expect there to be some bill. I also expect it to be written in a way that either excludes, or at least minimizes, any perceived benefit to Tesla.

The problem for GM at the moment is that Trump is doing his MAGA posturing and GM dared schedule under utilized plants for closure. In other words, there's a snowball's chance in hell of his signing a bill that clearly benefits GM. If its a provision buried in another bill or kept out of the press, sure. Or maybe GM will arrange something for public appeasement before it gets to signing. But at the moment this is a non-starter.